Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hot Ptah

BFT 192 Reveal

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

 I can't figure out how to insert photos of the album covers using Windows 10. I found it very easy to do with my old Windows 7.

 

  1. contemplation, by Nubya Garcia, from Nubya’s 5ive  (Re:freshed, 2017)

Composer: McCoy Tyner

Nubya Garcia—Tenor Saxophone

Joe Armon-Jones—Piano

Daniel Casmir—Bass

Moses Boyd—Drums

 

2.       Tangled, by Ill Considered, from Ill Considered (Ill Considered Music, 2017)

Idris Rahman—Saxophone

Leon Brichard—Bass

Emre Ramazanoglu-Drums

Yahael Camara-Onono—Percussion

This album is consistently at the level of this track.

 

3.   .   You Stepped Out of a Dream, by Anthony Braxton, from Five Pieces 1975 (Arista, 1975)

Composer: Kahn/Brown

Anthony Braxton—Alto Saxophone

Dave Holland—Bass

 

4. 4.      Mzwandile, by Shabaka and the Ancestors, from Wisdom of Elders (Brownswood, 2016)

Shabaka Hutchings—Tenor Saxophone

Mthunzi Mvubu—Alto Saxophone

Siyabonga Mthembu-Vocals

Mandla Mlangeni—Trumpet

Nduduzo Makhathini—Piano, Electric Piano

Ariel Zamonsky—Bass

Tumi Mogorosi-Drums

Gontse Makhene-Percussion

London based Shabaka Hutchings, whose family comes from Barbados, records here with musicians from South Africa on this consistently strong album.

 

5. 5.      Ran Kan Kan, by Tito Puente

Composer—Tito Puente

I cannot find detailed information about Tito Puente’s early work. I cannot tell if this song was first recorded in 1949 or 1955 as a single. It appears on the 1955 Mamborama LP on the Tico label. I cannot find musician credits for it.

 

6. 6.      Ojos Asi, by Shakira, from ?Donde Estan los Ladrones? (Columbia/Sony 1998)

Composers—Shakira Mebarak/Pablo Flores/Javier Garza

Shakira—Vocals, harmonica

Luis Fernando Ochoa—Guitar, Bass

Adam Zimmon—Guitar

Marcelo Acevedo--Guitar

Lester Mendez—Keyboards

Randy Barlow—Accordian

Teddy Mulet—Trumpet

John Falcone—Bass

Brendan Buckley—Drums

Edwin Bonilla--Percussion

Wendy Peterson—Backing Vocals

Shakira was one of the headlining Super Bowl halftime performers in February, 2020, with Jennifer Lopez.

This song, “Ojos Asi,” was the fifth single released from this multi-platinum selling album, ?Donde Estan los Ladrones?, which has sold over seven million copies worldwide. This song, “Ojos Asi,” as a single, reached Number 9 on the U.S. Billboard Latin Pop Songs chart.  It has been performed on six of Shakira’s seven concert tours. For this song, Shakira won a Latin Grammy award in the category of Best Female Pop Vocal Performance in 2000.

 

7.    7.   Space Shuttle—Ra to the Rescue. Ch. 2 (a.k.a. The Alter Destiny), by Sun Ra, from Ra to the Rescue (Saturn, 1983)

Composer—Sun Ra

Marshall Allen—Alto Saxophone Solo

Sun Ra—Keyboards

John Gilmore—Tenor Saxophone, Percussion

Danny Thompson—Baritone Saxophone, Flute, Percussion

Hayes Burnett-Bass

Samari Celestial (Eric Walker)-Drums

Michael D. Anderson—Drums

Eddie Thomas—Percussion

Atakatune (Stanley Morgan)—Congas

 

8. After Hours, by Roy Buchanan, from Second Album (Polydor, 1973)

Composer—Avery Parrish

Roy Buchanan—Lead Guitar

Teddy Irwin—Rhythm Guitar

Dick Heintze—Piano, Organ

Don Payne—Bass

Jerry Mercer—Drums

 

9.       El Is a Sound of Joy, by Sun Ra, from Sound of Joy (Delmark, Recorded 1956)

Composer—Sun Ra

Sun Ra—Piano

Art Hoyle—Trumpet

Dave Young—Trumpet

John Avant—Trombone

Pat Patrick—Alto and Baritone Saxophone

John Gilmore—Tenor Saxophone

Charles Davis—Baritone Saxophone

Victor Sproules—Bass

William Cochran-Drums

Jim Herndon—Tympani, Timbales

 

10.   El Is a Sound of Joy, by Sun Ra, from Mayan Temples (Black Saint, 1990)

Composer—Sun Ra

Sun Ra—Piano, Keyboards

Ahmed Abdullah—Trumpet

Michael Ray—Trumpet

Tyrone  Hill-Trombone

Marshall Allen—Alto Saxophone, Flute

Noel Scott—Alto Saxophone

John Gilmore—Tenor Saxophone, Timbales

James Jacson—Bassoon, Ancient Egyptian Infinity Drum

Ronald Wilson—Tenor Saxophone

Carl LeBlanc—Guitar

Jothan Collins—Bass

Clifford Barbaro—Drums

Earl “Buster” Smith—Drums

Ron McBee—Congas, Percussion

Jorge Silva—Percussion

Elson Nascimento—Surdo, Percussion

 

11.   Ginger Spice, by Ginger Baker, from Why  (Motema Music, 2014)

Composer—Ron Miles

Pee Wee Ellis—Tenor Saxophone

Alec Dankworth—Bass

Ginger Baker-Drums

Abass Nii Dodoo--Percussion

 

12.   No Agreement, by Fela Kuti, from No Agreement (Decca Afrodisia, 1978)

Composer—Fela Kuti

Fela Kuti—Tenor and Alto Saxophones, Electric Piano, Vocals

Lester Bowie—Trumpet Solo

Tunde Williams—Trumpet

Nwokoma Ukem—Trumpet

Lekan Animashaun—Baritone Saxophone

Leke Benson-Guitar

Okalve Ojeah—Guitar

Clifford Itoje—Guitar

Oghene Kologbo-Guitar

Nweke Atifoh-Bass

Tony Allen—Drums

Ayoola Abayomi—Percussion

Babajide Olaleye—Maracas

Oladeinde Koffi, Addo Nettey, Shina Abiodun—Congas

 

13, 14, 15. When You Love/Where You Love (edit)/How You Love, by Quicksilver Messenger Service, from Happy Trails (Capitol, 1969—recorded live in 1968)

Composer—Bo Diddley; on the album, composers of these sections are listed as Gary Duncan/Greg Elmore/John Cipollina

Gary Duncan—First Guitar Solo

John Cipollina—Second Guitar Solo

David Freiberg—Bass

Greg Elmore--Drums

 

 

Edited by Hot Ptah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of #2 and #4, now firmly on my radar, thanks!   Is it legal to have three Sun Ra cuts on the same BFT?:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, felser said:

Never heard of #2 and #4, now firmly on my radar, thanks!   Is it legal to have three Sun Ra cuts on the same BFT?:P

I have tried in the past to put together an all-Sun Ra BFT, in many very different styles of music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that Shabaka Hutchings cut is STRONG!

Shakira doesn't surprise me at all in terms of quality, but I did not recognize the language as Spanish, didn't think to. Sounded like some Bollywood thing to me, musically, so I guess I let my ears go that way rather than what was actually there. You'd think I'd have learned better than that by now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

that Shabaka Hutchings cut is STRONG!

Shakira doesn't surprise me at all in terms of quality, but I did not recognize the language as Spanish, didn't think to. Sounded like some Bollywood thing to me, musically, so I guess I let my ears go that way rather than what was actually there. You'd think I'd have learned better than that by now...

I agree about the Shabaka Hutchings cut. The entire album is strong. I almost chose other cuts from it for this BFT. It is one of my favorite albums of the past 20 years. 
 

I was not that familiar with Shakira when I saw her Super Bowl halftime performance. I listened to many of her songs on Spotify after that and was surprised by the variety in her musical career and by the depth and quality of some of her material. This particular song really struck me as different from what  I have grown to expect from contemporary pop stars. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I'd listened to this BFT.

Great to see a significant UK representation from Shabaka (check out the new one by the same band), Nubya and I'll Considered too! Go London! :D

Nice one Hot Ptah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I wish I'd listened to this BFT.

Great to see a significant UK representation from Shabaka (check out the new one by the same band), Nubya and I'll Considered too! Go London! :D

Nice one Hot Ptah

Thanks! My BFT 179 from last year had even more current London jazz. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Really enjoyed this BFT. Recognized the early Sun Ra track, got the late one after generous hints, blew the middle (M. Allen) one but had never heard it before.

The rest of the music was good but no chance of identification. Perhaps I should have recognized Braxton's playing, but oh well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Thanks. Really enjoyed this BFT. Recognized the early Sun Ra track, got the late one after generous hints, blew the middle (M. Allen) one but had never heard it before.

The rest of the music was good but no chance of identification. Perhaps I should have recognized Braxton's playing, but oh well...

I can rarely identify tracks or artists in anyone’s Blindfold Tests. I have come to view the BFT as enjoyable new listening and then learning the identifications later. Often I then buy some new CDs! I have come to not worry about whether I can identify anything or anyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hot Ptah said:

Thanks! My BFT 179 from last year had even more current London jazz. 

Do you know Idris Rahman's trio Wildflower? Bet you do but if not try and have a listen.

https://wildflowermusic.bandcamp.com/

Apologies I realise I'm thread bombing here. Maybe we need a London Jazz thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Very cool! Same as Felser, very excited to know about #2 and #4. And #1! And the Ginger Baker with Pee Wee... wow! Was NOT expecting that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Do you know Idris Rahman's trio Wildflower? Bet you do but if not try and have a listen.

https://wildflowermusic.bandcamp.com/

Apologies I realise I'm thread bombing here. Maybe we need a London Jazz thread

I do not know about Idris Rahman’s trio Wildflower and am excited to learn about it. You are not thread bombing. I hope that the BFTs spark more musical discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for a well-made, enjoyable blindfold test. I have and cherish the Fela, Braxton and Sun Ra records (except for "Mayan Temples", which I didn't recognize).

Count me in as another fan of that Shabaka Hutchins track. My initial guess was some lost "spiritual jazz" classic by a troupe of France-based Afro-Caribbean musicians jamming with a couple of American expatriates. It's that good.

And yes, I remembered your previous blindfold test and the pictures of Nubya Garcia you included. I like her playing too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, webbcity said:

Wow. Very cool! Same as Felser, very excited to know about #2 and #4. And #1! And the Ginger Baker with Pee Wee... wow! Was NOT expecting that.

According to Thom Keith there is another excellent version of that song on Ginger Baker’s “Coward of the County” album. I plan to check it out soon. 

18 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

Thank you for a well-made, enjoyable blindfold test. I have and cherish the Fela, Braxton and Sun Ra records (except for "Mayan Temples", which I didn't recognize).

Count me in as another fan of that Shabaka Hutchins track. My initial guess was some lost "spiritual jazz" classic by a troupe of France-based Afro-Caribbean musicians jamming with a couple of American expatriates. It's that good.

And yes, I remembered your previous blindfold test and the pictures of Nubya Garcia you included. I like her playing too.

I recommend the entire Shabaka Hutchins album!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracked down a "reasonably priced" used CD copy of the Shabaka Hutchins album, not exactly abundant, glad I found one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Tracked down a "reasonably priced" used CD copy of the Shabaka Hutchins album, not exactly abundant, glad I found one.

I'm on the lookout for same.  Also of the Ill Considered CD.  Going price for both seems to be $20+, and that's not happening for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Thom Keith, your mention of another version of the Ginger Baker song on his “Coward of the County” album prompted me to play that album on Spotify today. It is easily one of my favorite Ginger Baker albums now. It is a real jazz album. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thom, I think you may have played me some of "Coward" also. I forgot James Carter was on it! And I notice Shamie Royston's name on there too... I have an album of hers that I like a whole lot. I've always been a fan of Ginger Baker's playing but for some reason know very little of his jazz output. I need to listen to more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31.3.2020 at 7:30 PM, Hot Ptah said:

5. 5.      Ran Kan Kan, by Tito Puente

Composer—Tito Puente

I cannot find detailed information about Tito Puente’s early work. I cannot tell if this song was first recorded in 1949 or 1955 as a single. It appears on the 1955 Mamborama LP on the Tico label. I cannot find musician credits for it.

Hot Ptah asked me for more discographical information about this track. It is a little more complicated than I thought - after doing some research and reading. I will open a thread in the Discography subforum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Hot Ptah asked me for more discographical information about this track. It is a little more complicated than I thought - after doing some research and reading. I will open a thread in the Discography subforum. 

I am looking forward to that. I love the Tito Puente recordings from the late 1940s to the early 1970s and there seems to be no good, comprehensive source which tells us when the songs were recorded and which musicians play on them. Unless there is, and I can't find it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.