“Jazz Omnibus” and Duke Ellington

DMP

The LP was probably in a lot of homes in the late ‘50’s, thanks to the Columbia Record Club.  (Miles Davis along with Turk Murphy,  one of those deals.)  One track that doesn’t seem to have ever surfaced since is Duke Ellington’s “Cop-Out” - my introduction to Ellington. The have been several live versions, but whatever happened to the 1957 original? (Other numbers from the session have shown up.) And, now that I think of it, whatever happened to “Asphalt Jungle Twist,” from “Who’s Who In The Swinging Sixties, another Columbia anthology?

Both songs were issued by French CBS on an LP titled "Primping for the Prom," and "Cop Out" was also reissued on the 2-LP Columbia "World of Duke Ellington Volume 3." I'm not sure either of them have been issued on cd. You certainly found a couple of obscure ones!

gregmo

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Cop-out is on the latest legitimate (i.e. Sony) cd of Ellington Indigoes.  I think Asphalt Jungle Twist is just a renamed Asphalt Jungle.  (At least it's not listed in the usually accurate New DESOR.) 

I don't see it on "The Complete Ellington Indigos" on Jazz Beat, though I guess that's not considered a "legitimate" release since it's not Sony? The only Columbia I find is the old 90s cd, and it's not on that either. Maybe there's a recent Sony release I haven't seen! Don't know those 56/62 comps.

gregmo

36 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

I don't see it on "The Complete Ellington Indigos" on Jazz Beat, though I guess that's not considered a "legitimate" release since it's not Sony? The only Columbia I find is the old 90s cd, and it's not on that either. Maybe there's a recent Sony release I haven't seen! Don't know those 56/62 comps.

gregmo

It is included in this box.

51dvsLVPvwL.jpg

51V7BXox8fL.jpg

2:41 but it seems to be the same as theme part 2.   I found this out because checking Amazon I discovered that Primping  for the Prom is available for download. And as is mentioned above both Asphalt Jungle Twist and Cop Out are on it. (Though the mix seems quite different than the Theme Part 2 on Brown Penny.) 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067GSBCU/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Edited by medjuck

On 4/1/2020 at 8:03 PM, medjuck said:

2:41 but it seems to be the same as theme part 2.   I found this out because checking Amazon I discovered that Primping  for the Prom is available for download. And as is mentioned above both Asphalt Jungle Twist and Cop Out are on it. (Though the mix seems quite different than the Theme Part 2 on Brown Penny.) 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067GSBCU/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

The two themes on my 56/62 album clock in at 2:23 and 2:38. I guess the latter is close enough to 2:41, given transfer speeds and fade-outs. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The two themes on my 56/62 album click in at 2:23 and 2:38. I guess the latter is close enough to 2:41, given transfer speeds and fade-outs. 

Number 2 is 2:41 on Brown Penny. As is Twist on Primping for the Prom. 

13 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Both songs were issued by French CBS on an LP titled "Primping for the Prom,"

Great and underrated LP, BTW. You tend to overlook it because it appears to be a haphazard compilationn of odds and ends but it does make for interesting listening. (GIven the "vibe" of the music on the LP i can see why TTK went for that music).
The LP isn't all that rare once you take note of it. Actually I have a second copy of "Primpin" sitting in my "duplicates for fleamarket" crate (bought without remembering i already had it ;) -.  both are Dutch CBS pressings)

Just pulled out my “Who’s Who In The Swinging Sixties” - the ‘Asphalt Jungle Twist’ is dated July 30, 1961. It fades out around the 2:40 mark. Except for that title, doesn’t have anything to do with the twist - it’s a shuffle beat, as the post above describes. 
By the way - is anyone familiar with that LP?  Some interesting stuff - among others, Chico Hamilton ‘Brazil’  (with Charles Lloyd), J.J. Johnson’s ‘Bloozineff’ (Sam Jones, Lewis Hayes, and Victor Feldman on organ), and a version of ‘Green Dolphin Street’ by Miles - mostly a Wynton Kelly solo, that I’ve never quite figured out. (When I brought this up here several years ago, people assumed it was from the Blackhawk - the April 4, ‘61 would confirm this, but no sign of an audience, and guess it could have the other solos shortened.) Anyway, Columbia put out some terrific anthologies back in the day!

57 minutes ago, DMP said:

Just pulled out my “Who’s Who In The Swinging Sixties” - the ‘Asphalt Jungle Twist’ is dated July 30, 1961. It fades out around the 2:40 mark. Except for that title, doesn’t have anything to do with the twist - it’s a shuffle beat, as the post above describes. 

Then I would guess it is the same track. 

18 hours ago, DMP said:

By the way - is anyone familiar with that LP?  Some interesting stuff - among others, Chico Hamilton ‘Brazil’  (with Charles Lloyd), J.J. Johnson’s ‘Bloozineff’ (Sam Jones, Lewis Hayes, and Victor Feldman on organ), and a version of ‘Green Dolphin Street’ by Miles - mostly a Wynton Kelly solo, that I’ve never quite figured out. (When I brought this up here several years ago, people assumed it was from the Blackhawk - the April 4, ‘61 would confirm this, but no sign of an audience, and guess it could have the other solos shortened.) Anyway, Columbia put out some terrific anthologies back in the day!

Bought it minus cover at a fleamarket for a token sum about 20 years ago and I think I never pulled it out again after a first listen. This thread prompts me to remedy that ... ;)

On 31-3-2020 at 10:51 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

My copies are from Holland. Two double LP sets, don't know if there were more. Blue covers. 

There is a third volume a single LP with The Ellington orchestra with various singers: Rosemary Clooney, Ozzie Bailey, Jimmy Grissom, Lil Greenwood, Johnny Ray and Milt Grayson. The Rosemary Clooney sides are added to the Blue Rose CD. Pomegranate is on the Jazz Track CD of  'A Drum is a woman'. The rest remain unreissued on CD.

Edited by miles65
typo

• 9 months later...