Down Beat Jazz Festival

I've said this before, but the '65 Coltrane set is one of my favorite live Trane recordings of any vintage. You can only ever find it in middling or terrible fidelity, but it sounds like absolute pandemonium on stage and off. Shepp guests and the band sounds quite a bit more dialed in to his energy here than they were on the ALS studio stuff the year prior. Of course the recording is merely a ghost of the real thing--I'm sure an actual attendee might have a very different perspective on the whole thing.

I'm also very curious what the CT set was like. The Newport Jazz Fest set from July of the same year is up (on "official channels") online and it is fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

I'dl show this to anyone who says jazz is as vibrant, creative  and alive as it was 55 years ago...
I'm assuming you were there, Chuck?

Yes, Ann and I went.

1 minute ago, ep1str0phy said:

I've said this before, but the '65 Coltrane set is one of my favorite live Trane recordings of any vintage. You can only ever find it in middling or terrible fidelity, but it sounds like absolute pandemonium on stage and off. Shepp guests and the band sounds quite a bit more dialed in to his energy here than they were on the ALS studio stuff the year prior. Of course the recording is merely a ghost of the real thing--I'm sure an actual attendee might have a very different perspective on the whole thing.

I'm also very curious what the CT set was like. The Newport Jazz Fest set from July of the same year is up (on "official channels") online and it is fantastic. 

Cecil was Lyons, Grimes and Murray. I was jumping up and down during the set and it was good enough for me to suggest Delmark record him. I was still in school and not working for them. Koester sent me to Don DeMichael at Down Beat to see if Cecil was still in town. Unfortunately he had returned to NYC.

51 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Yes, Ann and I went.

Cecil was Lyons, Grimes and Murray. I was jumping up and down during the set and it was good enough for me to suggest Delmark record him. I was still in school and not working for them. Koester sent me to Don DeMichael at Down Beat to see if Cecil was still in town. Unfortunately he had returned to NYC.

Wow! I had no idea Murray was playing with Cecil this late--the Newport set has Andrew Cyrille already. My deeply partial (recording-centric) opinion has it that Andrew's bag kind of fit CT's music better around this vintage, but I'm sure that this quartet was fantastic. That's really too bad that the recording didn't work out.