Bill Withers, R.I.P.

mjzee

https://apnews.com/e19138ee60f29a319e45bcfba3e39331?fbclid=IwAR1yfR-o38psisX6hv-apEwxZBrBXqz1HdUXkFWM9AHO0RlEZ268WwjnzbU

Bill Withers, who wrote and sang a string of soulful songs in the 1970s that have stood the test of time, including “ Lean On Me, ” “Lovely Day” and “Ain’t No Sunshine,” has died from heart complications, his family said in a statement to The Associated Press. He was 81.

I always liked him. "Just The Two Of Us" was the song that Brenda & I fell in love to, "our song".

That kind of thing is a part of your life forever. His music touched so many people in so many ways at this basic, lasting level, and not just in the arena of romance. He touched on life, period.

RIP, and thanks for doing it the way you did it.

The documentary film Still Bill is a terrific study of Mr Withers' life and music.  This scene still gets to me

I'd pay to listen to that man sing the phone book.  He will be missed, at least by me, very, very much.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Withers.  Your life and music has definitely helped in some small way to make this world a more bearable place.

Tough news. If ever it were possible for a voice to embody an ethos and a culture, Bill's most certainly did. His is the voice I turn to when I search for the sound of a kind of blue collar soul. I mean it when I say that as a Filipino kid growing up in the San Fernando Valley, this is the music I remember hearing on the radio on the way to school, at community parties, near the kitchen while dinner got made. The fact that I'm considerably younger than the vintage of (most of) this stuff should give testament to just how finely woven Bill Withers was into the background sound of contemporary America.

Bill's voice has untold resonance, but the band here (and the guitar playing, really) is deeep pocket. That much groove with that much exactitude and that much economy of gesture is absolutely mindblowing.

Edited by ep1str0phy