M.F. Horn 1 and 2

As you may know, I am a connoisseur of the Now Sound: Late 60s and early 70s records by aging jazz and easy listening artists turning on and tuning in to the styles, feelings, and vibrations of today.

There are several sub-categories of the Now Sound, and one of them is exemplified by Maynard Ferguson's early M. F. Horn albums, especially tracks like Keith Mansfield's "El Dopa" and the raga-influeced "Chala Nata."

These albums capture the vibe of the era much better than anything that the "kids" were producing or listening to. They are like the counterculture as filtered through  the pages of "Playboy" and "Vogue."

Anyway, these albums - along with Jim Beam Pre-Prohibition rye - are helping to get me through our current reality. 

Enjoy!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I always smile when I hear Randy Jones stay in the double-time "boogaloo" type groove for a bar or two when he should have switched to swing around 4:30, and then does a fill as if to compensate. 🙂 

Edited by Daniel A

TTK, I like those Maynard albums, saw his MF Horn band live in the early 70's, was knocked out by "El Dopa".  Jim, I agree with you on the cover, and it's OK if you call me Dude.  That's well above midpoint of all the different things I've been called in my life.

Dood, the Innertubes respond to your touch. Inflate them!

That's the cover the record had when I bought it, that's the cover the record had when a bunch of people I knew bought it, that's the REAL cover for that record. That other cover is what they put on it when enough people started buying later Maynard records and columbia figured that hey, people are loving McArthur Park but they're not looking for it on our record because they're looking for somebody all hip and mod looking, so let's change the cover and sell some records.

I mean, good idea, but still, that 2nd cover is for people who don't know any better.

Tell you what, though, the last Maynard big band record until then that was really strong was Color Him Wild, 1965, right, ANCIENT, and we had a guy in our high school whose brother had that record, so when MF Horn came out, we were ALL over it, and when it turned out to be as good as it was, hell, that thing was a hit before it was a HIT, if you know what I mean.

But MF Horn 2 was not the immediate followup! There was some lameass MOR-ish record that came out that was really yucky. and THEN came MF Horn 2, which was like HELLYEAH, I mean I still get a kick out of that one today. 3 was a little tame, then 4/5 were the live at Jimmy's records, and hell yeah again, big time, and then....yeah, whatever, although Chameleon had its moments.

I seriously do think that Maynard made the best records of this ilk, better than Woody, better than Bu8ddy, can't really say better than Don Ellis, b/c Don Ellis was a whole nother thing, but...Maynard had a natural knack for "show business" seemed like he actually dug it, and shit, you know he dug having a good band and letting them play. The story of how the whole thing came together in the UK is an interesting one, but it all comes down to people were having fun doing this, everybody, band/writers/record labels, having fun and being successful. And that fun comes out in those records, just as it did when I saw them live in 1973: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=3092&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=3f593a5847eba78d48c9101ac722aa524efc763c-1586036429-0-AY0Rh-kRn_Rz0nJScBLV0wNn7pvpH7g9_vYfmiMGFLZ41EepRhCYkv-UX01Mcem86bFCLBm5UTPBShRr6dyuP1siQAa8kBF3SsaCFuFoEbyDiTdpUV9rNUDm57Dhpz7VJ5tjz96aG4l5VonpT7VZVAXR24oM29VBBJ48QJT1DlfmSSqnh4EeoSASsr0A3YIC4dek0WdM3CPs8f-xaf4rJDxE8_IOO8sI3x2rk_YJ00xOScEiMpejdquJ3nlkYj27iWtj1MAB-q3kBDILznv_XwETqFyZOi6okJx-v1Dyuz1-

(haven't heard this recording, but if it is as advertised, I actually play on that record, on "Hey Jude", not as a band member, but as a student participant in the clinic the band held earlier during the day), Fun time, and a bit of "family history" involved as well.

http://www.mftourdates.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/1973.03.07c.Lousiana.pdf

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Dood, the Innertubes respond to your touch. Inflate them!

That's the cover the record had when I bought it, that's the cover the record had when a bunch of people I knew bought it, that's the REAL cover for that record. That other cover is what they put on it when enough people started buying later Maynard records and columbia figured that hey, people are loving McArthur Park but they're not looking for it on our record because they're looking for somebody all hip and mod looking, so let's change the cover and sell some records.

I mean, good idea, but still, that 2nd cover is for people who don't know any better.

Tell you what, though, the last Maynard big band record until then that was really strong was Color Him Wild, 1965, right, ANCIENT, and we had a guy in our high school whose brother had that record, so when MF Horn came out, we were ALL over it, and when it turned out to be as good as it was, hell, that thing was a hit before it was a HIT, if you know what I mean.

But MF Horn 2 was not the immediate followup! There was some lameass MOR-ish record that came out that was really yucky. and THEN came MF Horn 2, which was like HELLYEAH, I mean I still get a kick out of that one today. 3 was a little tame, then 4/5 were the live at Jimmy's records, and hell yeah again, big time, and then....yeah, whatever, although Chameleon had its moments.

I seriously do think that Maynard made the best records of this ilk, better than Woody, better than Bu8ddy, can't really say better than Don Ellis, b/c Don Ellis was a whole nother thing, but...Maynard had a natural knack for "show business" seemed like he actually dug it, and shit, you know he dug having a good band and letting them play. The story of how the whole thing came together in the UK is an interesting one, but it all comes down to people were having fun doing this, everybody, band/writers/record labels, having fun and being successful. And that fun comes out in those records, just as it did when I saw them live in 1973: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=3092&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=3f593a5847eba78d48c9101ac722aa524efc763c-1586036429-0-AY0Rh-kRn_Rz0nJScBLV0wNn7pvpH7g9_vYfmiMGFLZ41EepRhCYkv-UX01Mcem86bFCLBm5UTPBShRr6dyuP1siQAa8kBF3SsaCFuFoEbyDiTdpUV9rNUDm57Dhpz7VJ5tjz96aG4l5VonpT7VZVAXR24oM29VBBJ48QJT1DlfmSSqnh4EeoSASsr0A3YIC4dek0WdM3CPs8f-xaf4rJDxE8_IOO8sI3x2rk_YJ00xOScEiMpejdquJ3nlkYj27iWtj1MAB-q3kBDILznv_XwETqFyZOi6okJx-v1Dyuz1-

(haven't heard this recording, but if it is as advertised, I actually play on that record, on "Hey Jude", not as a band member, but as a student participant in the clinic the band held earlier during the day), Fun time, and a bit of "family history" involved as well.

http://www.mftourdates.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/1973.03.07c.Lousiana.pdf

I posted a link to a video, Albert. I did not create the video.

From the same period:

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I too posted a link to a videos that I did not create.

These are marvelous, modern times, that we can do such things as this!

I am getting lessons in aesthetics from aging white male celibates who listen to a genre that can't get them laid in a French whorehouse. Now I've seen everything.  

Neither record cover is that sexy.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If you were in the band, though...different story.

Wearing a powder blue polyester tux, with greasy hair parted to the side, mutton chop sideburns, and David Koresh aviator frame glasses? Maybe you slept with them, but my standards may be a little higher than yours. Not much, but a little. 

37 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Wearing a powder blue polyester tux, with greasy hair parted to the side, mutton chop sideburns, and David Koresh aviator frame glasses? Maybe you slept with them, but my standards may be a little higher than yours. Not much, but a little. 

Again I ask - what kind of online classes are you taking?!?!?!? :g :g:g

And what kind of jinkyass walmart time machine are you taking them in?!?!?!?! :g:g:g:g:g

53 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Again I ask - what kind of online classes are you taking?!?!?!? :g :g:g

And what kind of jinkyass walmart time machine are you taking them in?!?!?!?! :g:g:g:g:g

The Bill Holman/Bill Russo correspondence course. Someone told me I could meet girls that way. Do you think they were pulling a fast one on me? I paid a lot of money.