John Prine R.I.P. (COVID-19)

Dave James

It's sad. I can't claim to be a fan but it's disheartening to see so many pass from this virus, celebrted and uncelebrated, earlier than they would. So many more to come too I'm afraid. RIP John.

Edited by jazzbo

I can't claim to ever have heard him, just of him, but the respect he was shown during his life told me that he mattered a lot to those whom he mattered. And enough of them were people who did matter to some extent to me, so...although the loss is not really "felt" by me, it most certainly is recognized as a loss of no small magnitude.

RIP, and I'll listen one day, gonna get around to it.

I discovered John Prine a bit later in my life than other singer/songwriter types.  Perhaps because of that, I'm still in love with his music currently.  And I find heart and humor in equal parts in his music.  I thought he would make it through this, but no.  Hurts my heart that he's gone.

I was able to meet him a few years back, after a show in Texas (double bill with Alejandro Escovedo). The crowd skewed older, but I could tell everyone in the auditorium loved him and felt a personal connection with his music.  I did too.  He was as sociable and happy in person as I had hoped, especially after his previous health/cancer issues.

Rest in Peace, John.  

M9NeNtH.jpg