Reflections on music in the time of COVID

David Ayers

I listened to a concert on BBC Radio 3 the other evening. While they often broadcast a live or recorded concert, this was a repeat of a concert from last year to fill the slot of a live concert that could not take place. I listened rapt to every note, which seemed seized from a past which will not come back for some time - orchestra and audience, so many bodies and minds in one place. 

What have been your moods and thoughts on music in the time of COVID?

Not listening to anything different, or differently, other than where I listen to it, sometimes.

I only miss people not being there when I'm there, like, WOW THIS IS GREAT WHY AREN'T THERE MORE PEOPLE HEAR OMG!!!!!. And sometimes, like when they need a lozenge or three, I kinda wish they weren't there. But otherwise, if a full house falls in the woods and I'm not there to hear it, does it still make a sound that I miss? Generally not, although once in a great while, yes.

Live music will return. Just wondering how the orgs I've already paid for gigs that got cancelled are going to handle all that. Cash flow's a bitch, hey. But that works both ways. Peoples gotta get paid, ideally for services rendered, but in these cases...I want to see what the plans are and how they're presented. now is not the time for a lack of humility, if you know what I mean. appeal to the better instincts of all, that's all I want to see. I'd like to be an enabler of a noble recovery, not a pity party, that's all.

As for recorded music, hey. It's recorded music. Paly your records on your record player, same records as before, same record player as before. If it was already old music, it's already happened, ya' know? and the fact that it IS recorded means that the aging process has already begun, so....

Music will survive, as will the people who also survive (uh, yeah?). Looking forward to being there to watch that happen, when it does.

I generally agree with Jim; not doing anything different than before: doing that gives me a sense of normalcy.

As an aside, I went on online to look at some John Prine music and noticed that a lot of things are sold out and on “back order,” plus I see people on eBay jacking up prices to take advantage; not surprising. Usual commentaries on greed, etc. 

Pretty much the same listening behavior as well. Only change is trying out some of the at home online performances (like the Jim Alfredson one that someone linked to). Plenty of accumulated old music that will be new to my ears.

As far as cancelled live performances, I'm asking for gift certificate that I can use next season rather than cash. Maybe round down a bit and make a charitable donation with part of it. For Hamilton on Broadway, I think I will just do cash refund because its Ticketmaster and securing tickets for a particular evening for that show could be a serious hassle, travel logistics etc.

I attended 70+ shows last year, so the lack of concerts has been tough for me.  To support musicians and hear new music (I acquire most of the recent albums I buy at gigs), I've been buying downloads from Bandcamp.  Part of me balks at buying a download when it is the same low price in CD format (as low as $5).  However, I have to consider whether buying a CD when I can buy the lossless download does anything besides satisfy a fetish for physical product.

Besides checking out relatively recent releases that way, I've been revisiting albums I hadn't heard in years and ripping Mosaics into FLACs.

No changes here, as I haven't had the family circumstances to get to live performances in years.   Still listen most of the workday, but do so from home office now.  And do some listening while I read on Sunday afternoons when opportunity arises to do both.

Like Felser, my concertising is reduced for family reasons, but maybe unlike John not set to zero. 

Or it wasn’t until now. 

My favorite orchestra (LSO) is live-streaming archived performances twice a week. Heard a superb Stravinsky with Rattle last night. The sometimes superb local improv scene (Free Range) has a suitably experimental YouTube offering. The Cathedral can’t offer its choir but alongside streamed services there are smatterings of organ music. 

Re. cancelled concert subscriptions, I’m donating mine. It’s the first option in the drop-down and, well, they sort of shamed me..,

7 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Re. cancelled concert subscriptions, I’m donating mine. It’s the first option in the drop-down and, well, they sort of shamed me..,

I'm trying really hard to make the numbers crunch to where we can afford to do that...wish me luck, because them numbers is trying equally really hard to crunch back, especially when they're asking for renewals for the next season, which may or may not run up against some, none, or all of the same factors that this one did...

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 2:56 PM, kh1958 said:

Every night at 9:30 CST, Jackie Venson on facebook live. Highlight of the day without fail.

god, i need to clean my glasses, i read that as Jackie Vernon....

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 8:17 PM, JSngry said:

I'm trying really hard to make the numbers crunch to where we can afford to do that...wish me luck, because them numbers is trying equally really hard to crunch back, especially when they're asking for renewals for the next season, which may or may not run up against some, none, or all of the same factors that this one did...

god, i need to clean my glasses, i read that as Jackie Vernon....

Ha ha. Jackie Venson is a pretty young woman from Austin. She went to Berklee as a Classical pianist and switched to guitar in her last year. That was nine years ago. She's a hybrid rock/blues/soul player. Amazing guitar player (plays a custom Gibson Les Paul made for her in their Nashville factory), terrific voice, and writes excellent songs. Not a jazz player to my knowledge. She's out of my usual areas of interest, but I stumbled across her when I went to see Vieux Farka Toure in Houston last year; she was the opening act, playing guitar and singing, using a sampler to back herself up (she plays all the instruments). I liked her immediately, and then even more when she joined Vieux Farka Toure onstage during his set. Now, every night from her house in Austin she plays a one hour live concert; plays some of her own songs solo and with sampler backup--then she does remixes of her own songs, jamming on guitar. Turning her up to 11 every night.

Edited by kh1958

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Full disclosure. I only bought cheap seats!

Took me ~2 weeks to listen to anything freely improvised - the stress level for me was pretty high although through my recovery process my wife and I are at a more peaceful place. Thank Jah for that.

Over the past couple of weeks when I have listened (I’m very busy 8:30 to 6:00 during the week working from home) - and when I have I’ve been as moved by the current modern magical improvised and improvised/composed jazz & jazz related music as I ever have. Maybe I took it for granted. It’s a true golden age of avant-garde jazz/improvised music despite the almost complete lack of attention it receives. The last 5-10 years has been a gold mine of musical riches from both young and old - and from all corners of the world.

I dearly miss the live shows and I’m devastated to think of the economic hardship of my current musical heroes here in NYC and around the world. I pray for my number 1, 2 & 3 - Mat, Randy & Tony - but of course for ALL of the musical warriors that have been at the fore front of improvised music while always knowing there would never be any economic reward - especially for the young dudes & dudettes, my heart is strong for all of you.  

still......

Coming Down the Mountain

I'm listening more. Tuning into radio broadcasts on the weekend now which I never did before. Only consumed in my car. I've made a few purchases from Bandcamp. Finally got around to getting the Bob Reynolds tribute album to Hank Mobley and then he came out with a new one I pre-ordered and should get today. I wish I could support my local record shops but they make it too damn hard. I don't get why they aren't taking this time to go online, or creating newsletters. They barely have inventory on discogs. I tried paying cash and they balked at the idea, though this was the biggest shop in town and one of the few that sells new releases I was buying used items. I'm used to getting the cash "discount" at other spots. 

Edited by jcam_44

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Record stores could be and probably will be in trouble because of the virus.

Record Stores: Coronavirus ‘Could Be the Death Knell’ for Indie Retailers

The record store in my town says it will reopen but I have my doubts. 

That seems to be the wrong link!

This one maybe:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/record-stores-coronavirus-pandemic-973887/amp/