Virus shortages and your impressions.

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

As for squirrels, hey, they're very tasty, actually. Bony as fuck, though, but you know, if it's all there is...

Don’t know about squirrel, but I have had rabbit twice in the last 5-6 years, and it was delicious!

And I know my father (as a child and teen, back in the 30’s), and on a semi-regularly basis (or more than just occasionally) had rabbit - or rather, hasenpfeffer - for dinner and such.

I’m sure the ‘meat-to-bone’ ratio on most typical wild, semi-suburban rabbits ain’t the best... ...but I know I’ve seen pics of breeds of gigantic rabbits on-line (nothing short of ‘gigantic’ would accurately describe them - easily 2.5x the weight of our beloved house cat). I’m on mobile at the moment, or I’d come up with a URL of an image I could include here.

And, all kidding aside, I was shocked how tasty rabbit was the first time I ever had it ~5-6 years ago. Succulent is the best word I can think of. ‘Twas at a high-end Italian restaurant (for my wife’s birthday), and it was one of the best meals I’d ever eaten. Not ‘traditional’ Italian at all, but some sort of “modern” Northern Italian.

We’re not big spenders in high-end meals out very often (2-3x per year), but this one was really worth it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh bullshit. Learn to hunt. Go out to the country and meet some farmers. Stop whining and start living.

Life is not here to give you what you want when you want it, that's some delusional Boomer-Based Bullshit.

What the fuck is it with you and the boomer shots? Do you honestly believe the digital generation is not of the mind-set of everything now?

Just now, catesta said:

What the fuck is it with you and the boomer shots? Do you honestly believe the digital generation is not of the mind-set of everything now?

Boomers suck. And I am one.

"Digital generation" is adapting to this stay-at-home thing fairly well from I've seen. They're already adept at it and are much more likely to come out on the other side of all this well-positioned for the future in a lot of ways. I've learned a lot by observing how they do things.

So...they've figured out the "when you want it" thing pretty damn well.There's maybe still some work to be done on the "what you want" part though...

But yeah, on the whole Boomers pretty much do suck. They don't want everything now, they just want everything, period. And they don't care how they get it, as long as they get it.

53 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Don’t know about squirrel, but I have had rabbit twice in the last 5-6 years, and it was delicious!

And I know my father (as a child and teen, back in the 30’s), and on a semi-regularly basis (or more than just occasionally) had rabbit - or rather, hasenpfeffer - for dinner and such.

I’m sure the ‘meat-to-bone’ ratio on most typical wild, semi-suburban rabbits ain’t the best... ...but I know I’ve seen pics of breeds of gigantic rabbits on-line (nothing short of ‘gigantic’ would accurately describe them - easily 2.5x the weight of our beloved house cat). I’m on mobile at the moment, or I’d come up with a URL of an image I could include here.

And, all kidding aside, I was shocked how tasty rabbit was the first time I ever had it ~5-6 years ago. Succulent is the best word I can think of. ‘Twas at a high-end Italian restaurant (for my wife’s birthday), and it was one of the best meals I’d ever eaten. Not ‘traditional’ Italian at all, but some sort of “modern” Northern Italian.

We’re not big spenders in high-end meals out very often (2-3x per year), but this one was really worth it.

Rabbit is delicious!

24 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Saw a "chef" making Brunswick stew on TV in the last day or two.

Hey. There's a reality-based reason why all these recipes exist in the first place...

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Boomers suck. And I am one.

"Digital generation" is adapting to this stay-at-home thing fairly well from I've seen. They're already adept at it and are much more likely to come out on the other side of all this well-positioned for the future in a lot of ways. I've learned a lot by observing how they do things.

So...they've figured out the "when you want it" thing pretty damn well.There's maybe still some work to be done on the "what you want" part though...

But yeah, on the whole Boomers pretty much do suck. They don't want everything now, they just want everything, period. And they don't care how they get it, as long as they get it.

Rabbit is delicious!

Hey. There's a reality-based reason why all these recipes exist in the first place...

Shit dude, we obviously don't see it the same way. I'm not defending boomers, plenty of them do suck, but I most definitely feel the same about digitals. The percentage of good to bad is likely the same.

What exactly have they figured out? Working from home? Being content playing video games? Virtual happy hours? Big fucking deal to all of that. Its the same number of them crying for gyms to open, barber shops, makeup stores, bars, etc.etc, as with any generation. If anything, the old pre-boomer crowd is probably fairing the best.

I get my haircut by a 25 year old female, she just wants to make money and aside from some social media following she has (due to her physical appearance) there no other income. They haven't figured out how to cut hair digitally yet. Anyways her and the whole crowd seem to be doing nothing besides complaining like the rest of us about what is closed and whether or not they have toilet paper. My daughter and stepson included in that.

On a side note, back to hunting and meeting farmers and such.

I went in with a group of buds several years ago on a ranch in northern Arizona (10%) and an AG enterprise in Buckeye AZ (10%). It wasn't about making a ton of cash with a small percentage, although it will prove to be a sound investment. My friend that set it up farms/ranches for a living and does it well, he presented the opportunity and operates the shit, but I'll have no trouble getting meat and some veggies.

15 minutes ago, catesta said:

If anything, the old pre-boomer crowd is probably fairing the best.

Yeah, they're dying! :g

What exactly have they figured out? Working from home? Being content playing video games? Virtual happy hours?

Ok, Boomer! :g

I went in with a group of buds several years ago on a ranch in northern Arizona (10%) and an AG enterprise in Buckeye AZ (10%). It wasn't about making a ton of cash with a small percentage, although it will prove to be a sound investment. My friend that set it up farms/ranches for a living and does it well, he presented the opportunity and operates the shit, but I'll have no trouble getting meat and some veggies.

NOW you're talking!

Local-ish suppliers, fresh-ish product. No built-in addiction-driven dependence on mega-style production or delivery of something as basic/essential as simple food.

That definitely seems sustainable for a little while or longer.

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, BillF said:

Constant supermarket shortages here in recent months. My local Sainsburys has reduced shelving so you don't notice the gaps. 

Our stateside friends have to contend with the virus; we have Brexit as well.

5b2d0b591ae66233008b46ca?width=1037&form

Not a situation that I recognise one bit, to be honest.

I have a fairly regular list of staples and with no notable exceptions, have been able to get everything without fail for some months now. Not Sainsbury’s though.

Maybe it is an inner city thing then - or more specifically Manchester and London ? I’m surprised to hear this, as there has been nothing on my list for months now which hasn’t been fulfilled. One exception - spicy red peppers last week but hardly a deprivation and a very easy substitution.

Edited by sidewinder

Produce supply here seems a bit choked but extreme weather caused some excessive runs so that may be the reason. And there's low to no staff around to stock at many grocery stores, and so many have cut operating hours. And if you have any appliance that needs repair or need a new appliance you better hope what you need is already in stock. Getting orders shipped for anything like that is a bit like roulette right now. 

14 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

And if you have any appliance that needs repair or need a new appliance you better hope what you need is already in stock. Getting orders shipped for anything like that is a bit like roulette right now. 

Appliances are a nightmare right now. I've had both sister-in-laws need appliances and unable to shop for one they want. They basically had to walk into an appliance store and ask, "What do you have in stock". The only other option is waiting several months. Who can wait several months for a new refrigerator when their old one died?

One of my uncles is an old-school outdoorsman (the good kind, respects nature and never shoots or catches anything other than what he will eat or feed others with), and we used to have family get-togethers featuring his squirrel stew. Very tasty.

But gumbo? Hmmm, I guess, if that's what you're into? Sounds like a type of cultural cross-pollination I've not yet encountered, or, for that matter, one that I would go looking for...

Oh, squirrel is bony, no doubt. But the way my uncle did it was to just section the things and then cook them in the stew like that. The meat literally fell off the bone in the stew. The odd bits that it didn't, the bones could easily be sucked clean.

Not saying that I've sought out any more squirrel stew, but I didn't exactly dread going over to eat it either.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Oh, squirrel is bony, no doubt. But the way my uncle did it was to just section the things and then cook them in the stew like that. The meat literally fell off the bone in the stew. The odd bits that it didn't, the bones could easily be sucked clean.

Not saying that I've sought out any more squirrel stew, but I didn't exactly dread going over to eat it either.

I see...so you wouldn't cook the squirrel on your own. Neither would you catch one, and instead rely on the hand-outs from relatives and others.