Mal Waldron - Candy Girl

Pim

R-10050995-1490763002-3588.jpeg.jpg

So anyone with some more information about this particular session? Its a bit of a strange one because Mal is only a composer and not the artist, though the album is brought out under his name. The French official release on Calumet has a median Discogs price of 850 euro's... Whats the story about it?

Edited by Pim

I like it, and file it with my Waldron records (the reissue, that is). But it's more of a Lafayette Afro-Rock Band side project than anything.

Calumet was a subsidiary of Musidisc and operated by Pierre Berjot; their only other release was Frank Wright's Church Number NineCandy Girl was originally pressed up in a small number of copies right before the label folded, and they didn't even make a cover for it. Keep in mind that Musidisc/America also released two other Lafayette Afro Rock Band titles as well -- Soul Makossa and Malik.

I listened to the video sampler. Sounded like him on Rhodes in a spot or two.

44 minutes ago, Pim said:

The first one does!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I listened to the video sampler. Sounded like him on Rhodes in a spot or two.

The first one does!

Check out track D1 from the second release mentioned ;) That track is also from the 'Candy Girl' record.

I'm thinking that if it sounds like him and it's a micro-label record with his name on it, that sloppy annotation and/or subsequent discographic work is at least a 51% good chance over him not being on the record at all on a trio record of his compositions w/o him on it and then making sure that somebody else played like him to boot! :g

And truthfully, that smaple, where it sounded like him soloing, it sortakinda sounded like there was another set of hands doing subtle supporting keyboard work, maybe, ya' think?

"Candy Girl" is supposed to be a session by Mal Waldron backed by the three members of Ice. But I've never heard or found any confirmation of that session.

Mal Waldron's albums for Pierre Jaubert were recorded (and released) before Jaubert's association with Ice/Lafayette started. I've always suspected that this record was "created" by Jaubert, asking his studio band to add rhythm tracks to some older tapes of Waldron playing the electric piano.  

Arrived today and must say: it does sound like Mal. Listened to the Call again to compare (the only record where Mal plays electric piano) and yeah: or this is Mal or this is a very good imitator. And I also share the feeling that there are two keyboard players (also like on The Call). Then there is the inner liner notes that do mention something like ‘when Mal recorded this music’ which makes it even more evident.... 

But what makes the mystery is of course that nor the cover not the LP itself mention Mal as keyboard player.

Intrresting stuff and good observation Jim!  More board members who got this record?

1 hour ago, Pim said:

But what makes the mystery is of course that nor the cover not the LP itself mention Mal as keyboard player.

I'm thinking that nobody bothered to consider that if they put out a Mal Waldron record AS a Mal Waldron record AND put Mal Waldron's picture on the cover that they would have to specify that Mal Waldron was actually playing on the record. Little did they know! :g