Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clifford_thornton

Ryo Kawasaki (1947-2020)

8 posts in this topic

really sad, much to young to die. I became aware of him in the 70´s , really interesting musician. I think he was presented at the Austrian "Jazz shop" radio show, that´s where I became aware of him first.......

His solo on Sunshower, from Tarika Blue - The Blue Path has always been a favorite.

RIP Kawasaki-san. I listened to some of your music but I wasn't a huge fan.

I never was able to confirm if it was actually him, but I once had an E-mail dialog with him about CD audio stemming from a post he made to the old rec.music.bluenote newsgroup. He claimed that every time you played a CD, the laser burned off some of the plastic. I tried showing him the science to prove that this was not possible but he said he could hear the difference in his CDs every time he played them.

44 minutes ago, bresna said:

I never was able to confirm if it was actually him, but I once had an E-mail dialog with him about CD audio stemming from a post he made to the old rec.music.bluenote newsgroup. He claimed that every time you played a CD, the laser burned off some of the plastic. I tried showing him the science to prove that this was not possible but he said he could hear the difference in his CDs every time he played them.

Sounds like him. He was deeply into synthesizers and computer music, and also seemed like a rather eccentric cat.

Sad to hear, I've worked with many Japanese jazz musicians, and they always raved about him. RIP.

Posted (edited)

RIP

13 hours ago, bresna said:

RIP Kawasaki-san. I listened to some of your music but I wasn't a huge fan.

That is... odd.  Playing a CD I've had for 25 years right now and no evidence the plastic is burned off :lol:

Edited by CJ Shearn