Lee Konitz R.I.P.

ep1str0phy

Hey, folks-

Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news, but I'm getting reports all across my social media feed of Lee Konitz's passing (Birdland Jazz Club's FB page seems the most "official" as of yet, but info is spreading inside the musicians community). 

BTW: I should note that I'm receiving this info from inside the community. Said sources tend to be reliable, otherwise I wouldn't have posted. If someone can verify either way, please do (and I'd be happy to delete/modify this thread as necessary).

Edited by ep1str0phy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cause of death was pneumonia. Rest In Peace, Lee. Thank you for the great music and your sense of humor. Thoughts with you and your family.f death was pneumonia. Rest in peace Lee. Thank you for the great music and your sense of humor. Thoughts with you and your family.

I remember one time seeing him live at the village vanguard. He finished his set and announce to the audience he was going to  go outside and smoke a joint. If anybody wanted to come outside and join him.  “I’ll be by the back door.”  

Another time at the Vanguard, he played about a 55 minute set and started to walk off the stage. Lorraine Gordon yelled get back up there you owe me 10 more minutes. Lee did, and he played a solo Sweet Lorraine for about 10 minutes.  Lorraine then shouted “ OK, I’ll can pay you now.“

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I had the pleasure of seeing Lee Konitz live just once, leading a group with Paul Motian and Dan Tepfer at Birdland years ago. I love his music and have collected it extensively (114 CDs under his name, plus the ones he shares co-leadership with others), but never did interview him, a missed opportunity.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I was at that concert. I took my high school girlfriend to see Lee at the Theatre De Lys in Manhattan, thinking that she'd be impressed. Lee was so awkward when he did that speech about Bird and Supersax, she thought he was juiced. It was a very uncomfortable ten minutes, but it was all part of Lee's spontaneous genius.

RIP, to one of the greatest improvisers that ever lived...

Bill Kirchner did an excellent interview with a very relaxed Lee several years ago:

https://amhistory.si.edu/jazz/Konitz-Lee/Konitz_Lee_Interview_Transcription.pdf

There are some typos -- e.g. "Sy Toff" for Cy Touff, "Billy Eckstine" for Billy Exiner, "Cyn" for Senn High School -- but the interview is a font of information, much of it not available elsewhere.