Lee Konitz R.I.P.

ep1str0phy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a Wonderful musician ! 

The Incredible Thing is that just YESTERDAY I was thinking very much About him, I remembered that I saw him on a TV documentary About bop and cool in 1978 and liked very much what he played and what he said in that documentary. 

My first listening experience was that Incredible solo of "Cherokee" on the Steeplechase Album "Lone-Lee".

RIP Lee - will miss you & your magic alto but your music will live on

I was lucky enough to see Lee perform in September of 2017 at Kitano's (NYC) see pic - had a fantastic up front table

Also saw him in the audience scatting along to the Barry Harris Trio at the Village Vanguard a few nights later

Magic times in NYC

DSCF0870aaaa.jpg

Saw him in the 90s with a local trio including Steve Arguelles. It was so good I went back the following night. Only done that once since (Lou Gare).

I can't remember seeing the 'Angel Song' concert but equally can't imagine missing it.

Enjoyed recordings from the full span of his tremendous career.

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Saw him in the 90s with a local trio including Steve Arguelles. It was so good I went back the following night. Only done that once since (Lou Gare).

I can't remember seeing the 'Angel Song' concert but equally can't imagine missing it.

Enjoyed recordings from the full span of his tremendous career.

Yes, I saw him with Wheeler in the ‘Angel Song’ tour and pretty sure I saw him as a guest with one of Kenny’s Birthday Big Bands, possibly his 75th. That may have been the occasion with Abercrombie. From my vaguish recollection, Kenny used himself, Norma Winstone and Konitz as lead voices.

First time I saw him was at a long-gone Toronto Club with local rhythm section. Didn’t even know he was on until I passed their entrance with makeshift sign ‘Tonite - Lee Konitz’. I was in like a flash.

Lou Gare - saw quite a number of times with Mike Westbrook.

Edited by sidewinder