Lee Konitz R.I.P.

ep1str0phy

12 hours ago, David Ayers said:

How much if this ground was covered by this?

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Stan-Getz-Gerry-Mulligan-Lee-Konitz-Sonny-Rollins-Zoot-Sims-Conception/release/7953012

I’m thinking none, but there is that additional duet at the end - not with Miles. 

Someone tell Fresh Sounds!

Nice that they added the "lost" alternate. But what we think about is a reissue of Prestige LP 7004 with the Konitz/Miles session added. The Japanese always stick to the Prestige 12" LPs which is nonsense as these reissued the tracks originally released on 78's in a rather scattered pattern, combining the Konitz/Miles session with Getz, Miles and/or Mulligan tracks on Prestige 7002 and 7013. Discographically speaking, these LPs were a mess. 

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Nice that they added the "lost" alternate. But what we think about is a reissue of Prestige LP 7004 with the Konitz/Miles session added. The Japanese always stick to the Prestige 12" LPs which is nonsense as these reissued the tracks originally released on 78's in a rather scattered pattern, combining the Konitz/Miles session with Getz, Miles and/or Mulligan tracks on Prestige 7002 and 7013. Discographically speaking, these LPs were a mess. 

Got it. Thank you. 

On 4/19/2020 at 2:39 AM, Joe said:

I have this record. My copy is inscribed to the French philosopher and jazz critic Lucien Malson. I mention this, because the scarce references to this record mention different (and improbable) release dates; the inscription is dated 21 september 1977.

The three tracks by the "Lee Konitz Quartet" were recorded in NYC in 1966, with  Dick Katz, Victor Sproles and Ronnie Bedford.

The two tracks by the unidentified "Daring Jazz Quartet"  also feature Lee Konitz, this time playing with Jim Hall, Eddie Gomez and Beaver Harris. They were recorded in Haiti in 1973.

Both sessions are documented (the second one with a few tiny mistakes) in the exhaustive Lee Konitz discography in Andy Hamilton's "Conversations on the Improviser's Art":

Two other musicians on this intriguing release are Martial Solal and... Warne Marsh, clumsily disguised as "Rawen Shram"

Edited by corto maltese

3 hours ago, corto maltese said:

I have this record. My copy is inscribed to the French philosopher and jazz critic Lucien Malson. I mention this, because the scarce references to this record mention different (and improbable) release dates; the inscription is dated 21 september 1977.

The three tracks by the "Lee Konitz Quartet" were recorded in NYC in 1966, with  Dick Katz, Victor Sproles and Ronnie Bedford.

The two tracks by the unidentified "Daring Jazz Quartet"  also feature Lee Konitz, this time playing with Jim Hall, Eddie Gomez and Beaver Harris. They were recorded in Haiti in 1973.

Both sessions are documented (the second one with a few tiny mistakes) in the exhaustive Lee Konitz discography in Andy Hamilton's "Conversations on the Improviser's Art":

Two other musicians on this intriguing release are Martial Solal and... Warne Marsh, clumsily disguised as "Rawen Shram"

Thanks! Not much officially documented Konitz from this period, which makes me wonder why this one remains so obscure (the rarity question aside).

On 20-4-2020 at 4:19 PM, Д.Д. said:

How is the music? 

It's a showcase for Gérald Merceron's compositions, dating (all, I think, or at least most of them) from the 1960's. I guess you could call these "advanced" or "third stream". One of the compositions (performed twice on the LP) is "Portrait Of Carla", an homage to Carla Bley, "compositrice américaine de grand talent". That should give you an idea.

All tracks without Konitz are solo performances (some with re-recording), including a fine piano solo by Merceron himself.

It's been some time since I played the record, but regarding both Konitz quartets, I remember especially liking the 1973 tracks. 

40 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

It's a showcase for Gérald Merceron's compositions, dating (all, I think, or at least most of them) from the 1960's. I guess you could call these "advanced" or "third stream". One of the compositions (performed twice on the LP) is "Portrait Of Carla", an homage to Carla Bley, "compositrice américaine de grand talent". That should give you an idea.

All tracks without Konitz are solo performances (some with re-recording), including a fine piano solo by Merceron himself.

It's been some time since I played the record, but regarding both Konitz quartets, I remember especially liking the 1973 tracks. 

Cool, thanks. 

Well today, six days (!) after Lee's death, there's this paltry effort that briefly and in passing lumps Lee together with all the other jazz musicians who have died from the virus. Can't seem to link to it, but google "Lee Konitz Chicago Tribune" and you'll find it. If anyone knows or uncovers the story behind this seemingly inexplicable journalistic episode, please enlighten us.

if Lee had moved out of the city he'd still be alive.  if he had moved to a house in Connecticut he would of been much more protected from the virus.  I know theres homes certain sections of nyc but im pretty sure Lee lived in a Manhattan apartment just like most everyone does no matter who you are.  you share the elevator, hallways, etc.  I feel bad Lee didn't even have much of a chance given his surroundings.  

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

That's really interesting. I didn't know she was influenced by Konitz.  

Where did you hear about it? If there is an article kicking around then I would love to read it. 

I just did a search, and couldn't find the article I'd read (about five years ago, maybe more?). It was an article where (younger) saxophonists listed their favorite unaccompanied saxophone solos. Roberts listed "Cherokee" from Lone-Lee, and added some words about the solo's importance to her.

Maybe someone here remembers that article? I might be mis-remembering some details, but that was gist of it. I do remember that it got me to get out that vinyl and spin it.

• 1 month later...
On 15/05/2020 at 7:38 PM, Late said:

I just did a search, and couldn't find the article I'd read (about five years ago, maybe more?). It was an article where (younger) saxophonists listed their favorite unaccompanied saxophone solos. Roberts listed "Cherokee" from Lone-Lee, and added some words about the solo's importance to her.

Maybe someone here remembers that article? I might be mis-remembering some details, but that was gist of it. I do remember that it got me to get out that vinyl and spin it.

I found it in the end: http://destination-out.com/?p=2011, for anyone who is interested.