Giuseppe Logan (1935-2020)

clifford_thornton

According to his close friend Matt Lavelle, reedman and composer Giuseppe (or Giuseppi) Logan has passed at the age of 84. He had been in an assisted living facility in Queens for quite some time. I do not know if this was COVID-19 related or not, still waiting on more information. Very sad news; I had been hoping to meet the man at some point but it never came to pass. His ESP records and sideman appearances are stellar, and his brief return to the scene some years ago was fun and welcome. He was a true original, and I feel lucky to have walked the earth at the same time as this man. Rest in Power.

Indeed it doesn't.

I've seen his name spelled both Giuseppi and Giuseppe; I recall hearing that the "e" was actually correct, though most recordings from the period list "i" and I don't have the article handy where this variation is detailed... mods can change it if they like!

Stollman had this to say about being in the control room for Giuseppi/e's debut on ESP:

"At one point, I was standing with the engineer in the control room, and I thought the piece they were playing was stunningly beautiful. It sounded totally spontaneous, as if they were ad-libbing and commenting like a gorgeous conversation. Suddenly, I heard a 'thwuuunk,' and I realized that the tape had run out. The engineer and I were so absorbed, we hadn't been paying attention. I thought "oh God, this remarkable thing is lost. It was interrupted in the middle, and it's gone." Richard Alderson was the engineer, and he got on the intercom and said "Giuseppi, the tape ran out." Without a pause, Giuseppi said "take it back to before where it stopped and we'll take it from there." So he did, he wound it back and played some bars of it and took down the record button, and they resumed exactly what they were doing—there was no way of telling where one or the other ended. It was unreal."

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/bernard-stollman-the-esp-disk-story-by-clifford-allen.php

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:
  • Groovissimo!
  •  
  • Hardbopjazz
  • Members
  •  
  • 14,072 posts
  •  Donor

RIP Giuseppi. 

I have only one album of yours. I will play it later today. Thanks for music

The above post is from Hardbopjazz. I tried to merge it but couldn't, so my name etc. is to the left.

•  

A couple of years ago I found I had  a record entitled  The Giuseppi Logan Project  on my computer and couldn't remember how I got it. I knew noting about him but found I loved the record.  (I admit it-- I thought he was Italian.)

Edited by medjuck

Like many here, I followed his return to the scene, which was an unexpected development.  I have one of his ESP albums that I need to revisit (that band!) and his return album, having preordered a signed copy.  I remember enjoying it.  I'm glad that he was able to make a brief return and reconnect with his son.  

Thank you for the music, Mr. Logan, and rest in peace.

On 17-4-2020 at 8:41 PM, clifford_thornton said:

I've seen his name spelled both Giuseppi and Giuseppe; I recall hearing that the "e" was actually correct, though most recordings from the period list "i" and I don't have the article handy where this variation is detailed... mods can change it if they like!

I agree that "Giuseppe" is much more likely.

I was reminded of (and wondering about) Mr. Logan first name, when Trump was speeching and tweeting about the Italian Prime Minister "Giuseppi Conte" a couple of weeks back ("Giuseppi was very, very happy").

I haven't catched up with his comeback music, but I am thankful for his earlier music on ESP (and with Roswell Rudd).

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close with some nice words about the man:

’Guiseppi was like a teacher to me. My musical conception, my intellectual approach, all of that rippened trough my association with him’ - Don Pullen