Henry Grimes RIP

ep1str0phy

I saw Henry Grimes perform only once, in Cleveland with Spiritual Unity.  Albert Ayler's father was in the audience, too.  I talked to Grimes and his wife after the show and they were both friendly people.  I bought a copy of his solo album on Ilk, which he signed, and a disc benefiting Detroit poet/artist/activist Aaron 'Ibn Pori' Pitts (with Andrew Lamb and Avreeayl Ra also on board).  I later regretfully missed Grimes in Pittsburgh a few years ago and unsuccessfully lobbied a local promoter to bring him to town.  

I'm grateful that I got to see and meet him and that he had such a productive return to music.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Grimes, and rest in peace.

Edited by Justin V

He played a couple of concerts here in 2005, with Marilyn Crispell and Andrew Cyrille.  Someone has just put one of these shows on Youtube (sound only):

To be honest, I remember being somewhat disappointed by his performances there and then (his bass was also amplified, which I generally don't like).  But my repect and love for his playing in the 1960's is immense.

Edited by corto maltese

That CD of solo strings on Uncool is pretty enjoyable and otherwordly, as far as recent Grimes material goes. I will be the first to admit my frustration with some of the comeback performances, some personal encounters w/ his associates were not great, etc., but at this point it's water under the bridge. I'm glad to celebrate the life and sonic impact of his music, glad he got to have some fun experiences later in life, and cherish that amazing stretch of albums he cut from 1957-1966. 

On 4/18/2020 at 6:06 PM, corto maltese said:

He played a couple of concerts here in 2005, with Marilyn Crispell and Andrew Cyrille.  Someone has just put one of these shows on Youtube (sound only):

To be honest, I remember being somewhat disappointed by his performances there and then (his bass was also amplified, which I generally don't like).  But my repect and love for his playing in the 1960's is immense.

There is a set on youtube from 2015 with him, Crispell, and Tyshawn Sorey that is very good. 

14 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I used a track from that ("Flowers For Albert") to end the 2005 Night Lights show about Grimes.

Yes, Flowers for Albert , a great track, it impressed me very much. I´m glad I have that rare CD. On the live date I saw in the same period, they even played a Monk composition, one of my favourites (Evidence) .