Dmitry

Wine pairings advise sought..

15 posts in this topic

I'll be making the Pizza Rustica tomorrow, for the first time. What wine would you suggest?

I don’t know, I’m no good at pairings, but a primitivo from Puglia might fit the bill. Depends how hearty your pizza is. 

I've always liked a Merlot with Pizza Rustica, Napa Cellars is a good place to start for that.

I think Zinfandel is an excellent pizza wine. DNA testing of Califormian Zinfandel grapes has shown that they are really Primitivo grapes but the name Zinfandel has become entrenched, so it isn't going away.

If you're looking for Italian red recommendations, I think is Palazzo della Torre goes excellently with pizza.

Allegrini Palazzo Della Torre | Total Wine & More

32 minutes ago, bresna said:

I think Zinfandel is an excellent pizza wine. DNA testing of Califormian Zinfandel grapes has shown that they are really Primitivo grapes but the name Zinfandel has become entrenched, so it isn't going away.

If you're looking for Italian red recommendations, I think is Palazzo della Torre goes excellently with pizza.

Allegrini Palazzo Della Torre | Total Wine & More

Palazzo Della Torre has been one of my favorites for the last several years. 

Posted (edited)

Don't overlook the possibility of a white like Pinot Grigio.  It would make for a nice contrast with the flavors and the overall "heaviness" of the main course.

Edited by Dave James

Posted (edited)

Thank you guys! Your advice was spot n, alll if you!

i ordered a bottle of Primitivi for storefront drop off to my driver’s/ side window...The virus way of liquor shopping in our town. 
2015 Siniscalco. It went beautifully with the pizza rustica. I will try the other pairings as time progresses. I like how it wasn’t too intense to become the best part of the meal. 

49790631266_b4187cca98_b.jpg

Edited by Dmitry

Domino's Pizza and Ripple. All you need as a freshman.

13 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Thank you guys! Your advice was spot n, alll if you!

i ordered a bottle of Primitivi for storefront drop off to my driver’s/ side window...The virus way of liquor shopping in our town. 
2015 Siniscalco. It went beautifully with the pizza rustica. I will try the other pairings as time progresses. I like how it wasn’t too intense to become the best part of the meal. 

49790631266_b4187cca98_b.jpg

Looks great! 👍

17 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Domino's Pizza and Ripple. All you need as a freshman.

:D Or maybe Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill!!

Tonight I’m planning trout baked with green olives. Wine suggestions? 

Trout - try an Albariño from Spain (Burgans is a good one that is readily available) or a Vinho Verde from Potugal. Pinot Grigio might be a bit to light and Chardonnays might be too heavy. You could always go with a nice Pinot Noir or Burgandy is you prefer red. If you do go Pinot Noir, good bang for the buck is Böen (a Caymus label).

With trout, I'm probably leaning toward a crisp, unoaked white with low ABV and nice bright acidity.  Specific suggestions...Tablas Creek Grenache Blanc or Vermentino.  Sicilian whites would also pair well... Another option would be Arneis from Piemonte.  Sancerre would world as well, but Sauvignon Blanc can be a bit boring.  By the way, your pizza looks amazing...I would probably pair it with a Dolcetto and Barbera.  Traditional pizza wines would have to include Chianti Classico.

Some of you guys know how to live, that’s all I’m saying. Apart from your taste in jazz, that is... 😉

I made this before receiving your advise, so I ended up buying an inexpensive Italian wine Fontana Candida Frascati. It was nice and light, a little on the sweeter side. The fish came out well, a very easy recipe that shows well.

IMG_6302

.I went out today and bought some of the exact wines some of you have advised - Albarino and Vermentino. It makes sense to me now that you've suggested these for the fish. Both wines come from coastal areas, one from the warm Mediterranean, and the other from the open Atlantic. I will have to hold them for the rasstegai I'll be making for the first time this weekend.

IMG_6311