Blue Note NY Sharing Archived Concerts

Dan Gould

https://www.patreon.com/bluenotenyc

Blue Note Jazz Clubs are currently closed as a result of Covid-19 and in keeping with the local, state and federal mandates.

We’ve been spending our time sorting through our archives & we are excited to share these historic moments in jazz at the Blue Note. Experience our favorite memories from concert performances, photos, interviews & more!

New content will be added daily and the archive will remain open for a short period of time.

Proceeds generated will help sustain Blue Note New York while we are closed. Your support will ensure that we will reopen and continue to present the biggest names in jazz!

$10 a month, for at least daily postings of archived concerts. Four months only.  The page has Ray Brown with Stanley Turrentine available in full right now and you can see the other concerts posted so far. Pretty cool but if I sign up they better deliver at least a Ray Brown Trio with Gene or Gene Harris Quartet.  

Well I jumped on this, the Clark Terry w Wess and Heath is just one tune but Jon Hendricks, Max Roach and Elvin are each full sets, 1 hour or a little longer. The Elvin band is Carlos McKinney, Cecil McBee, Robin Eubanks and Sonny Fortune. Not sure on Max - two trumpets, a trombone and a tuba?

And by joining, I get to message the Blue Note so I've already put in my plea for a Gene Harris.  or three.  :g

Dan beat me to posting about this.  I've seen Roy Haynes several times at the Blue Note and had plans to see him last month.  I hope that the club survives and that Roy plays there again.

Man, that Ray Brown show is smokin'.  Geoff Keezer, Karriem Riggins and Stanley Turrentine?!?!  That was worth my $10 right there.  This is a pretty exciting project.  I'll be listening to Elvin next.

43 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Any idea what year the Jon Hendricks is from?

No it doesn't say but I posted the question to them I am sure we'll get an answer soon.

And - great news for the former GHF - I got a reply that they have at least one Gene Harris set in audio, which awaits delivery of a DAT to transfer and he promises to upload. He says the videos weren't organized that well when they started this project. But Gene was popular with them so he's going to keep looking. :)

2 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

No it doesn't say but I posted the question to them I am sure we'll get an answer soon.

And - great news for the former GHF - I got a reply that they have at least one Gene Harris set in audio, which awaits delivery of a DAT to transfer and he promises to upload. He says the videos weren't organized that well when they started this project. But Gene was popular with them so he's going to keep looking. :)

It's a shame that they haven't released more recordings on their (defunct or dormant) Half Note imprint or elsewhere.  Maybe Zev Feldman could make it happen.  

75 minutes or so of Sonny at the BB King club just went up. What other things they have from BB's to share?

This weekend we are going to post a few of the Legendary musicians who we had the pleasure of presenting at B.B. King's. Jazz Legend Sonny Rollins performed at BB Kings on September 21, 2002

Sonny Rollins, Sax
Tommy Campbell, Drums
Kimanti Dinizulu, Percussion
Stephen Scott, Piano
Clifton Anderson, Trombone
Bob Cranshaw, Bass

Edited by Dan Gould

8 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

75 minutes or so of Sonny at the BB King club just went up. What other things they have from BB's to share?

This weekend we are going to post a few of the Legendary musicians who we had the pleasure of presenting at B.B. King's. Jazz Legend Sonny Rollins performed at BB Kings on September 21, 2002

Sonny Rollins, Sax
Tommy Campbell, Drums
Kimanti Dinizulu, Percussion
Stephen Scott, Piano
Clifton Anderson, Trombone
Bob Cranshaw, Bass

This is a nice Sonny gig.  The first time I saw Sonny, it was the same band except with guitar (Bobby Broom) instead of piano and Willie Jones III on drums.  Kamati Dinizulu sadly passed away a few years ago.

It was B.B. at his own club on Saturday, the Neville Brothers yesterday.

Today back to the Blue Note for what looks like a nice concert:

Happy Birthday Ron Carter!!

Today Ron Carter is 83 years old.
In honor of his birthday we are positing the Ron Carter Quintet performance from August 5th, 1999. 

Ron Carter, bass
Houston Person, Sax
Stephen Scott - piano
Payton Crossley - drums
Steve Kroon - percussion

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to the show they posted today, which is the Russell Malone Quartet with Robert Glasper(!), Richie Goods and Byron Landham.  I never knew that Glasper worked with Malone.  Goods is also on yesterday's concert by the Mark Whitfield Quartet (w/ Peter Delano and Donald Edwards).

Edited by Justin V

I'm listening to the show they posted today, which is the Russell Malone Quartet with Robert Glasper(!), Richie Goods and Byron Landham.  I never knew that Glasper worked with Malone.  Goods is also on yesterday's concert by the Mark Whitfield Quartet (w/Peter Delano and Donald Edwards).

Today's post is a Hilton Ruiz set.  :wub:

• 1 month later...

Can someone skip to 30:20 of the Ray Berretto set and decipher who the bassist is?  It sounds like Andy Guila but I can't find any bassist by that name.  The other members of the group are Adam Kolker, John Bailey, John Di Martino and Vince Cherico.  It is a nice set.  I wish that I could have caught Barretto in person.

Edited by Justin V

• 1 month later...

Is anyone still paying for this total bullshit? I just realized its nearly a week since the last post. And looking back, its July 28 and there are 14 days in July without anything new 50% assuming nothing shows up today.

I am ready to dispute all charges with Amex for failure to perform to their contractual obligation.  

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Is anyone still paying for this total bullshit? I just realized its nearly a week since the last post. And looking back, its July 28 and there are 14 days in July without anything new 50% assuming nothing shows up today.

I am ready to dispute all charges with Amex for failure to perform to their contractual obligation.  

I canceled today.  I'll keep an eye on their future posts and I'll renew next month if they post some things I must hear.  I've heard enough each month to make it easily worth my $10, but I am disappointed that they have dropped the ball.