Forget about Mobes' Soul Station - Roll Call - Workout

Dan Gould

OK most seem to agree the greatest period for Hank's career was the 1960-61 series of records he led. 

But I just wanted to point out the outstanding sidemen dates he was on for BN around that time -

late November 1959:  Dizzy Reece, Star Bright

Late December 1960: Kenny Drew, Undercurrent (a month after Roll Call)

Mid January 1961: Kenny Dorham Whistle Stop

Three of my all-time favorite BNs, all with Hank, and all in the midst of, or practically adjacent to the holy triumvirate of his greatest recordings. 

(Not to mention Byrd in Flight and Freddie's Goin Up is in there as well, even if they aren't as close to the top of my faves as those three.)

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

OK most seem to agree the greatest period for Hank's career was the 1960-61 series of records he led. 

But I just wanted to point out the outstanding sidemen dates he was on for BN around that time -

late November 1959:  Dizzy Reece, Star Bright

Late December 1960: Kenny Drew, Undercurrent (a month after Roll Call)

Mid January 1961: Kenny Dorham Whistle Stop

Three of my all-time favorite BNs, all with Hank, and all in the midst of, or practically adjacent to the holy triumvirate of his greatest recordings. 

(Not to mention Byrd in Flight and Freddie's Goin Up is in there as well, even if they aren't as close to the top of my faves as those three.)

Can't argue with any of that, but imo, The Apex Of Mobley World is the Dippin'/Cornbread period, whenever that was and for however long it lasted.

Now let's have fun and connect Hank Mobley to Paris hilton in just three easy steps!

R-2132149-1352144675-4858.jpeg.jpg

On 4/19/2020 at 7:06 PM, JSngry said:

Now let's have fun and connect Hank Mobley to Paris hilton in just three easy steps!

Mobley played with Johnny Griffin on "A Blowin' Session".

Griffin played with Nat Adderley on Griffin's "White Gardenia".

Adderley played on Tony Bennett's "Beat of My Heart" album.

Bennett did a duets album with Lady Gaga, "Cheek to Cheek".

Gaga had a music video directed by Hannah Lux Davis, "Rain on Me".  

Davis directed 3 different Paris Hilton videos.

Sorry, that's 6 steps.  Best I could come up with.

This guy was a freaking genius, lets not forget that.  The fact that he got so good at such a young age.  it was like he had a window to something magical, the same thing bird had.  That wasn't ten years of practicing.  Maybe Sonny Rollins and Trane were big into that but i dont think Hanks playing at 25 was due to ten years of practice.  sure he practiced.  but i mean he had something special dawg