there are some new developments with my book on How to Listen to American music.

1) it is now a 2 volume work. In order to do it right, I have had to extend it. Volume 1 is basically finished; I am waiting on two introductions (by Greg Tate and Greil Marcus) - and cleaning things up, so publication date is set for late July or early August. I actually think we have broken some new ground in this work, and there is nothing comparable on American music available in terms of scope and depth.  If you ordered, you will get both volumes, though the second one is probably going to be ready later in the year. I think it's all worth waiting for, including the CD set, which should be ready relatively soon; and there is so much in Volume 1 that it stands alone pretty well.

2) I sold only a few copies here, and I think I have most of it together, but since I was going through some hellish medical treatments and then recovery all through the Fall, please message me here or at allenlowe5@gmail.com to confirm your order and mailing address. Sorry about that, but don't worry, I will take care of it.

3) It is not too late to order, and I can still offer an introductory discount; now $145 shipped, book and 30 CDs in the USA (which includes the 2nd volume when it is complete) -

Edited by AllenLowe

• 3 weeks later...

things are moving along and I just got this nice blurb from Robin D.G. Kelley:

"In his most ambitious book to date, Allen Lowe proves Ralph Ellison’s claim that the whole of our nation’s culture—particularly its music—was built on and blended with what enslaved Africans and their descendants created on these shores.  And he pulls no punches and leaves no stone unturned.   In nuanced, entertaining, and often audacious prose, Lowe deploys his encyclopedic knowledge to unearth an elusive history of race and American music, unbounded by genre, geography or time.  Readers be warned: fasten your seatbelts, adjust your hearing, and prepare to forget everything you know. "

-Robin D. G. Kelley, author of Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Received my copy of the box set and Vol. 1 of the book here today.
And fast transfer to "Yurp" too - mailed on 12 Aug., arrived today. Nice to see that under the given circumstances the postal offices did not goof up.
A very intesting package - so far I've just listened to parts of 2 post-war CDs but it will certainly yield some surprises and new insights. Listening to Jimmie Logsdon and a Bob Graettinger chart for Stan Kenton back to back certainly takes some getting used to. I am looking forward to reading Vol. 1 and can't wait to get Vol. 2 in due course. :tup

• 3 months later...

I'm listening now to disc 7, and I must say a word about the great transferring.  Allen has done wonders with the sound restoration.  It gets better as the box proceeds; disc #1 sounds pretty raw, but I think a lot of it was transferred from cylinders.  Good work!

• 2 weeks later...