New Charles Tolliver

mjazzg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, felser said:

Count me in if there is a CD release.

They do, often as not, release on CD as well as LP especially if it's a release of new music rather than their historical releases so you might be lucky John. Fingers crossed.

Edited by mjazzg

• 2 months later...

‘Connect’ is definitely a winner. Tolliver plays with conviction and style and his compositions are soulful and first rate, Williams is his usual rock solid groove on bass, Lenny White full of fire and pianist Keith Brown, for me probably the unexpected standout. Jesse Davis excellent too. A real ace card by adding ‘local’ Binker Golding on two tracks - fits in brilliantly and plays with passion, really digging in.

A winner all round. :tup

(Sorry if all that sounds a bit ‘Dusty Groove’ but it is good !)

Edited by sidewinder

11 hours ago, sidewinder said:

‘Connect’ is definitely a winner. Tolliver plays with conviction and style and his compositions are soulful and first rate, Williams is his usual rock solid groove on bass, Lenny White full of fire and pianist Keith Brown, for me probably the unexpected standout. Jesse Davis excellent too. A real ace card by adding ‘local’ Binker Golding on two tracks - fits in brilliantly and plays with passion, really digging in.

A winner all round. :tup

(Sorry if all that sounds a bit ‘Dusty Groove’ but it is good !)

Agree with this review. Tolliver is solid throughout and I really enjoy the version of "Emperor March". Saw this group play in An Die Musik in Baltimore at the end of February and this new CD is very evocative of that set. Highly recommended!

LWayne

After three listens I'm still to be convinced by this, obviously a minority view around here.  I agree that 'Emperor March' is the strongest track but find the others a bit undercooked and I wanted more Tolliver, wish it was a piano less quartet.  I'm hoping it will reveal its delights in due course.

I'll just go and hide in the corner now...