New Charles Tolliver

mjazzg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/2/2020 at 8:07 PM, LWayne said:

Agree with this review. Tolliver is solid throughout and I really enjoy the version of "Emperor March". Saw this group play in An Die Musik in Baltimore at the end of February and this new CD is very evocative of that set. Highly recommended!

LWayne

I was at the Friday gig at An Die, it was great. Last time I was there, but I am watching their live streams.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:34 AM, bertrand said:

I was at the Friday gig at An Die, it was great. Last time I was there, but I am watching their live streams.

Alas, I was at the Saturday gig. Got to spend some quality time with Charles Tolliver though. Nice guy!

LWayne

On 8/2/2020 at 1:00 PM, mjazzg said:

After three listens I'm still to be convinced by this, obviously a minority view around here.  I agree that 'Emperor March' is the strongest track but find the others a bit undercooked and I wanted more Tolliver, wish it was a piano less quartet.  I'm hoping it will reveal its delights in due course.

I'll just go and hide in the corner now...

Listened today and also agree. I found it a boring listen.

I just finished my listening.  I think it is very good, the writing and arranging and rhythm section are excellent, and Tolliver plays well (you can tell the ideas are still there, and he sounds great for 77 years old, but is not the dynamo he was 50 years ago, of course).  The sax players are fine, though not memorable to me.  I'm really glad to have it and will revisit it many times, but "The Ringer", the Slug's and Loosdrecht live recordings, and the first Big Band album will remain my Tolliver first call go-to's.  

54 minutes ago, felser said:

I just finished my listening.  I think it is very good, the writing and arranging and rhythm section are excellent, and Tolliver plays well (you can tell the ideas are still there, and he sounds great for 77 years old, but is not the dynamo he was 50 years ago, of course).  The sax players are fine, though not memorable to me.  I'm really glad to have it and will revisit it many times, but "The Ringer", the Slug's and Loosdrecht live recordings, and the first Big Band album will remain my Tolliver first call go-to's.  

Yeah for me too. Or the Enja Impact :wub:

56 minutes ago, felser said:

A fair review !  

On 8/7/2020 at 0:42 PM, sidewinder said:
On 8/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, felser said:

A fair review !  

I would agree with ranking of "go to" recordings as well. But I will enjoy "Connect" nonetheless.

LWayne

• 2 months later...

I gave Connect a couple spins yesterday, and really enjoyed it (evidenced by the fact I gave it a second spin).

Sure, not every moment of it is Tolliver’s strongest playing ever (technique-wise). But it’s clear his ideas are still there, and he plays more than well enough to make that clear. And I don’t think he embarrasses himself either.

While it’s not the first Tolliver date I would recommend to someone, I will say that if you already own half or more of his entire recorded output (as I suspect many of us here do), this new one is well worth checking out.

The glass is way more than half full, and I will always cherish the one time I got to hear him play live last February - the very last jazz gig I got to hear in person, before all the Covid shutdowns started a few short weeks later.

40 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I gave Connect a couple spins yesterday, and really enjoyed it (evidenced by the fact I gave it a second spin).

Sure, not every moment of it is Tolliver’s strongest playing ever (technique-wise). But it’s clear his ideas are still there, and he plays more than well enough to make that clear. And I don’t think he embarrasses himself either.

While it’s not the first Tolliver date I would recommend to someone, I will say that if you already own half or more of his entire recorded output (as I suspect many of us here do), this new one is well worth checking out.

The glass is way more than half full, and I will always cherish the one time I got to hear him play live last February - the very last jazz gig I got to hear in person, before all the Covid shutdowns started a few short weeks later.

I like it too.

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, colinmce said:

Isn’t that the same(??!!) cover that was on the very first mention of this release well over 10 years ago — over 15 years ago even?? — on Tolliver’s own really basic website?”

(Like almost exactly the same??)

Back before anyone had any idea what year the release had material from.

Edit: ok, found it...

http://www.serecs.com/coming.html

I’m gonna go out on a limb that and say this probably ISN’T the actual cover for this release. I think someone from Dusty saw the “cover” on Tolliver’s ancient website, thought it was the legit cover for this concert finally seeing the light of day...

But I just don’t think this will actually be what the final product looks like. Only time will tell.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 5 months later...
21 hours ago, Pim said:

Oh yes they are. If I did not have the mosaic... Pure Pleasure is doing awesome stuff with the Strata East and Nimbus catalogues :)

Cool!

I still have the original albums and the Mosaic, as well. I don't buy vinyl anymore or I would probably pick these up, too.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...