Favorite single Blue Note tracks

Larry Kart

Perhaps this has been asked before, but last night while listening to the title track of Louis Smith's "Smithville," which I love for its overall groove and intensity and in particular for the work of Paul Chambers and Sonny Clark, I thought to ask which Blue Note tracks tracks are our favorites along those somewhat amorphous groove/intensity lines. A few nominees came to mind immediately -- "Blue Train," the title track of "Sonny Clark's "Cool Struttin,' "Autumn Leaves" from Cannonball Adderly's "Something Else" -- and there I ground to a halt and/or thought I should just open the floor to others.

BTW, if one doesn't know "Smithville" in general and its title track in particular, don't hesitate. One could build a mountain on top of Chamber's guttural opening "walk," and Clark's comping and subsequent solo are as blues drenched as anything this side of Jimmy Yancey. I have an image of Alfred Lion listening to Clark's playing in the control booth and nodding in approval.

Speaking of BN single tracks - not counting 78s, here are my BN singles:

1643 Jimmy Smith

1644 Jimmy Smith

1652 Jimmy Smith

1659 Thad Jones

1674 Kenny Burrell

1723 The Three Sounds

1731 Sonny Clark

1732 Bennie Green

1740 Horace Silver

1741 Horace Silver

1764 Donald Byrd