Surf guitar

GA Russell

On 4/26/2020 at 1:05 AM, BFrank said:

This Rhino box was pretty good, although I haven't listened to it in a long time.

R-635360-1141449268.jpeg.jpg

I remember this one well.  It was too rich for my blood.  The store kept it in a locked glass case so that it wouldn't be stolen!  Rhino was great for that sort of thing.

• 5 months later...

I can recommend Brian Wilson's No Pier Pressure, but the music has nothing to do with the beach.

If I had the extra money, I'd pick up these three today, from Ace.

The Birth of Surf - $13.66
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PATZQ0

Volume 2 - $13.66
https://www.amazon.com/Birth-Surf-2-Various-Artists/dp/B00347ZXZS/

Volume 3 - $13.16
https://www.amazon.com/Birth-Surf-3-Various-Artists/dp/B013PTVR8Q/

This is an interesting oddity. Obviously looks like a vintage 60s surf album, but is actually this:
"The band was composed of the members of The Heartbreakers, Tom Petty's backup band. During a short break from their work with Petty they recorded one album, Surf-N-Burn, which had the theme song "Goldfinger" from the James Bond film of the same name. Released by Epitaph Records, the album's liner notes include a faux history of The Blue Stingrays as if they were a legendary instrumental band founded in the late 1950s whose sole album was lost for decades due to the band members desire for anonymity. It was a reunion of sorts, with founding bassist Ron Blair playing with Heartbreakers members for the first time in 15 years, and Randall Marsh drumming, who was in a previous incarnation of the Heartbreakers called Mudcrutch.

Band members: Mike Campbell, Ron Blair, Benmont Tench and Randall Marshall"
[Discogs]

R-2678880-1557679132-8532.jpeg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Wondering if surf guitar, so-called, depends on sentimentality, or if it deserves more artistic interpretation. 

I always thought the old Kai Winding "More" (sic) Verve album was cool, but recently gave it a listen and was nonplussed.

My point is: Timelessness is kind of difficult in music.  Example, Gene Harris' You Make Me Feel So Young (Like a Lover, Blue Note) is cool for me so far.  As for guitar,  Larry Coryell w/ Julie Coryell doing Beyond These Chilling Winds (on the Vanguard album in the fusion wave) still evokes a visceral, authentic primal Oh Yeah every time.  Hmm.

A lost gem, too late in the game (1965) to get heard.  P.F. Sloan on blazing lead guitar!  Hal Blaine and the usual cast of suspects/aces!  The first LP on Dunhill records!  Very early Sloan/Barri production!

Rincon Surfside Band - Surfing Songbook - Amazon.com Music

1 hour ago, felser said:

A lost gem, too late in the game (1965) to get heard.  P.F. Sloan on blazing lead guitar!  Hal Blaine and the usual cast of suspects/aces!  The first LP on Dunhill records!  Very early Sloan/Barri production!

One can go quite a different direction inside the Hollyridge Strings interpretations...especially Vol. 3.

7 hours ago, felser said:

John, does this sound like The Fantastic Baggys?  Is Steve Barri on it too?

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2022 at 3:46 AM, JSngry said:

We've been hitting 101-105 the last few days. And it's just mid-June. The worst is to come  I'll be catching a sweat wave soon enough. 

Here (Mediterranian Coast) it's blindingly (around 40C) hot lately and specially now. So much that it's impossible to stay at home and people get out or to the beach, where they stay until 21.00 or later.