Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JSngry

Art Blakey & Tony Williams - France 1972

8 posts in this topic

Must have been a little tour. The same Messengers with Tony and Jeremy Steig as guests played on the 1972 Munich Jazz Now Festival at the occasion of the Olympic games. There even was a TV broadcast. 

July 28, 1972: Woody Shaw-t; Manny Boyd-f; Ramon Morris-ts; George Cables-p; Stanley Clarke-b; Ray Mantilla-cga

• Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (July 28, 1972) Child’s Dance (Prestige 10047)
  • Jazz Now Festival, Munich, Germany (between August 17-20, 1972) [Coda 8/72 p.39] [lineup unknown]

August 20, 1972: Jeremy Steig-f; George Cables-p; Stanley Clarke-b; Tony Williams-d; Buck Clarke, Ray Mantilla-cga

• Chateauvallon Jazz Festival, France (August 20, 1972) (private recording) [-HS]

from  https://jazzmf.com/art-blakey-chronology-and-the-jazz-messengers/  - the Munich gig belongs to the August entry.

Edited by mikeweil

Wondering how Steig got into the mix here?

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wondering how Steig got into the mix here?

Maybe he had temporarily moved to Europe. He played with Pierre Courbois' band in 1973. Joachim Berendt, who was a big fan of Steig (he used a Steig/Mainieri track as theme song of his radio show at the time) and produced the Courbois live LP with Steig, had a hand in organizing that Munich festival, IIRC - Berendt might have suggested Steig. 

Wondering if Resonance can legally issue this considering the access they have to INA and ORTF.

36 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

Wondering if Resonance can legally issue this considering the access they have to INA and ORTF.

I think it's more "interesting" than it is actually interesting.

33 minutes ago, JSngry said:

True because it's Art and Tony

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

But I´d prefere to hear it on record.