• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What did you go for?

I got a bunch of beat tapes. I honestly haven't been listening to much jazz recently because I've been studying a lot for work. And I usually go through a period of a month or so where I almost exclusively listen to beat tapes. 

ShunGu - Exile Dreams

Free Tillman - Black

Free Tillman - Pink

Koreatown Oddity - When Pig Fly (Pig Tape from the Chinese New Years series)

Saint James - F.O.O.L.

Mic Legg - Getobox Vol.2

Mic Legg - Chill Yard 2

Beatgist - Abstract Flavors

and then I just splurged a little more for a couple tapes from Deep of 2 Hungry Bros.

Deep - What You Leave Behind (CTI parody cover art)

Deep - Bushwick Beatfeed

12 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

I got a bunch of beat tapes. I honestly haven't been listening to much jazz recently because I've been studying a lot for work. And I usually go through a period of a month or so where I almost exclusively listen to beat tapes. 

ShunGu - Exile Dreams

Free Tillman - Black

Free Tillman - Pink

Koreatown Oddity - When Pig Fly (Pig Tape from the Chinese New Years series)

Saint James - F.O.O.L.

Mic Legg - Getobox Vol.2

Mic Legg - Chill Yard 2

Beatgist - Abstract Flavors

and then I just splurged a little more for a couple tapes from Deep of 2 Hungry Bros.

Deep - What You Leave Behind (CTI parody cover art)

Deep - Bushwick Beatfeed

Great. I'd never come across the term "beat tapes" until now, but the concept makes sense. I listen the jazz mostly at work (it's instrumental), along with stuff like J-Dilla (same logic), so I may try some of those. 

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Great. I'd never come across the term "beat tapes" until now, but the concept makes sense. I listen the jazz mostly at work (it's instrumental), along with stuff like J-Dilla (same logic), so I may try some of those. 

J-Dilla exactly. I actually buy tapes mainly because I rebuilt a tape deck I got off Craigslist and like filling up my rack on the wall. Plus you still get to download them and tapes are cheap.  The “genre” is a bit fractured on Bandcamp. It might be tagged instrumental hip hop, beat tape, beattape, etc. it’s fun to discover new sounds. Really like it if they have soul sampling with their beat. 

5 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

J-Dilla exactly. I actually buy tapes mainly because I rebuilt a tape deck I got off Craigslist and like filling up my rack on the wall. Plus you still get to download them and tapes are cheap.  The “genre” is a bit fractured on Bandcamp. It might be tagged instrumental hip hop, beat tape, beattape, etc. it’s fun to discover new sounds. Really like it if they have soul sampling with their beat. 

I like the sound of that.

I had a listen to a couple of them. I moved away from hip hop a while ago, but whenever I jump back in I'm surprised at how far everything has advanced since 2008 (roughly when I stopped listening). It feels like in beat-making terms stuff went stratospheric once Kanye, Dilla, MadLib etc. had fed into the mainstream. It's funny to think how excited I used to get about stuff that really doesn't stand up now.

Edited by Rabshakeh

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On the first Friday of the month since March of 2020, we’ve waived our revenue shareto help support the many artists who have seen their livelihoods disrupted by the pandemic. Over the course of 17 days, fans paid artists and labels more than $70 million dollars, helping cover rents, mortgages, groceries, medications, and much more. If you’re among the nearly 800,000 fans who participated, thank you.

It will likely be several months before live performance revenue returns in full. So we’re going to continue doing Bandcamp Fridays in 2022, on February 4th, March 4th, April 1st, and May 6th. As always, isitbandcampfriday.com has the details.

If you’ve started to feel guilty about buying music on any day other than Bandcamp Friday, here’s something to keep in mind: on Bandcamp Fridays, an average of 93% of your money reaches the artist/label (after payment processor fees). When you make a purchase on any other day of the month (as 2.5 million of you have since March, buying an additional $190 million worth of music and merch) an average of 82% reaches the artist/label. Every day is a good day to directly support artists on Bandcamp!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Received this info in an email from bandcamp:

Next Friday, June 17th (from midnight to midnight Pacific Time), we’re holding our third annual Juneteenth fundraiser, where we donate 100% of our share of sales to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, a racial justice organization with a long history of effectively enacting change through litigation, advocacy, and public education.