COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been tracking my county — Morris County, NJ — and for the last few days we’ve had around 70-85 new cases per day, which is an improvement from the 120-180 daily cases we’d been having. 

Just now, ghost of miles said:

Same reason? (Getting shut down because of posts drifting into the political?)

Yes. I haven’t been following them too closely but they quickly become blatantly political. To a certain extent it’s hard to avoid. 

5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Same topic, same rules as the moderators choose to define them. 

Which are really quite simple - no potshots (valid or otherwise) about political leaders/parties/policies/organizations/conspiracy theories/rumors/etc. No baiting, no switching.

I've seen how y'all do, and lord knows, if there's ever a beef shortage, there's fish aplenty here.

Not to say those things aren't legitimate forms of expression (especially when they're true), just to say their expression is not the reason for this forum and as such will not be tolerated here unless and until the owner explicitly says they are.

Unless and until then, take it to Facebook or Redditt or Zoom or Boom or Bollweevil or one of those other places that welcome it. This here ain't it.

For clarification (I’m sure I’ll be further clarified if necessary :g), the violation in yesterday’s exchanges—following Jsngry’s scrubbing of the Michigan-protests comments-was another poster’s potshot at WHO and my response re Kool-Aid and “certain leaders/networks.” 

I agree with Brad that the topic in the world at large is riddled with politics, rightly or wrongly, which makes keeping it out of any discussion difficult. But dem’s de rules of the board. 

As I mentioned in the previous thread, I now have two friends (one in their late 50s, the other in their mid 60s) who came close to dying from the virus, but who ultimately survived. My aunt, who’s 85, has been diagnosed positive, but we haven’t gotten any updates in the past several days on how she’s doing. Another friend who’s almost the exact same age as me and his wife were diagnosed positive, but thankfully seem to have come through on the “milder case” side of things.

On an events note, we had to cancel our summer Jazz In July concert series that the station and IU’s jazz department co-present. IU is essentially remaining shut down throughout the summer, with all classes remaining online only. We’re looking at possibly doing a “Swing In September” series instead, but I’d say even that seems in doubt at this point. IU’s president sent out an email this week saying that a normal fall semester is highly unlikely—at best we’ll probably have a hybrid of in-person and online instruction, and any events that take place will have to be radically restructured.

4 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

For clarification (I’m sure I’ll be further clarified if necessary :g), the violation in yesterday’s exchanges—following Jsngry’s scrubbing of the Michigan-protests comments-was another poster’s potshot at WHO and my response re Kool-Aid and “certain leaders/networks.”

Yep. The Michigan thing went left in a quick minute, so...I hate deleting posts, but I was thinking ok, let's keep the thread open and people will get the message.

But that didn't happen and this time rather than let it grow again, I shut it down.

Those of you who favor proactive responses, hey.

31 minutes ago, Brad said:

To a certain extent it’s hard to avoid. 

Self-discipline, maybe? Just...do it yourself? Maybe have the internal wherewithal to think that this is not the place to say that because,there are, you know...rules? Actual, explicit rules? Nothing objective about it, not a "question" of taste, just really simple rules?

Is this the only place in the world that people have to express their every thought about damn near everything? Really?

Fucking Boomers...:g:g:g

2 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I thought you closed it because someone went off on an anti-capitalist rant.

It would be quite possible to have a discussion about economics and not bring politics into it, assuming that the discussion was intended to operate in the realm of ideas instead of that of vulgar emotional manipulation.of Us vs Them (and the people who are desperate to be positioned as such).

Now, just because it's possible doesn't mean it's likely...

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I’ve been tracking my county — Morris County, NJ — and for the last few days we’ve had around 70-85 new cases per day, which is an improvement from the 120-180 daily cases we’d been having. 

Yes. I haven’t been following them too closely but they quickly become blatantly political. To a certain extent it’s hard to avoid. 

Been very lucky in Napa County so far, 68 cases with 2 deaths, most cases in Napa and American Canyon. We've been following the protocols pretty well, north of Napa, where I live, we're smaller towns, with more distance between homes, the closet house to me is a half-mile away.

Our county (Montgomery County, PA) has averaged 123 new cases a day over the past two weeks, and Philly, which is directly adjacent to our east, is averaging 470 new cases a day over the past two weeks.  So not good here.

28 minutes ago, felser said:

Our county (Montgomery County, PA) has averaged 123 new cases a day over the past two weeks, and Philly, which is directly adjacent to our east, is averaging 470 new cases a day over the past two weeks.  So not good here.

However, Montgomery County is less dense than Philadelphia so you would expect there to be a difference. 

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

However, Montgomery County is less dense than Philadelphia so you would expect there to be a difference. 

Correct, but both areas are bad, as are the other Philadelphia collar counties (Delaware, Chester, Bucks), and the Greater Philly Metro counties in New Jersey (Camden, Burlington, Glouster).  Montgomery County has half the population of Philadelphia County, and covers 3.5 times the area, so 7:1 population density difference.

12 minutes ago, felser said:

Haven't gotten our checks yet (not direct deposit).  How concerned should I be?

Could it be you don’t qualify?

We were out today — had to go to Lowe’s — and it seems with the confluence of warm weather and new cases declining a bit, people don’t seem as observant as they were previously.  The roads were crowded, with a return to some sloppy driving, which will inevitably lead to a return of accidents.

All of this will probably lead to a spike in cases. 

29 minutes ago, felser said:

Haven't gotten our checks yet (not direct deposit).  How concerned should I be?

We got a letter from an envelope that said IRS, with a letterhead inside that said The White House telling us our money was on the way, and it was indeed direct-deposited.several weeks ago...I didn't pay attention to the letter b/c the envelope itself didn't look like "real" IRS, but it appears that the money was already in the bank by the time I finally read the letter earlier this week.

Does anybody here do handwriting analysis, btw?

21 minutes ago, Brad said:

Could it be you don’t qualify?

I wish!  We qualify.  I just checked online, and it says we do qualify, where last week it said it didn't have enough info to find us or something.   We have not yet filed 2019 return, which may be part of the slowdown, but we owe enough (by design - I'd rather take an interest free loan from the gvt than give one to them) that it's not going to make me speed up filing.  Looks like it is just a matter of all things (usually) come to those who wait.

When I check it says we don’t have enough info, etc. so I’m presuming we don’t.

You don’t need to have filed your 2019 return, which is not due anyway, as long as you have filed your 2018 one.  

1 hour ago, felser said:

Correct, but both areas are bad, as are the other Philadelphia collar counties (Delaware, Chester, Bucks), and the Greater Philly Metro counties in New Jersey (Camden, Burlington, Glouster).  Montgomery County has half the population of Philadelphia County, and covers 3.5 times the area, so 7:1 population density difference.

Camden, Burlington and Gloucester are not that bad in the total number of cases compared to other parts of NJ.  In Morris County, we have 5,400 total cases whereas Camden has 3,800, Burlington 2,900 and Gloucester 1,300. 

11 minutes ago, Brad said:

When I check it says we don’t have enough info, etc. so I’m presuming we don’t.

You don’t need to have filed your 2019 return, which is not due anyway, as long as you have filed your 2018 one.  

Camden, Burlington and Gloucester are not that bad in the total number of cases compared to other parts of NJ.  In Morris County, we have 5,400 total cases whereas Camden has 3,800, Burlington 2,900 and Gloucester 1,300. 

Yes, farther north in Jersey is horrendous, but we are talking about shades of bad rather than good vs. bad.  And of course all of these numbers are only a fraction of the actual infections in these counties because of the lack of testing.  We have a prison in our county that reported having 6 cases, so they chose to test the whole prison population, and it was actually 177 rather than 6.

51 minutes ago, felser said:

I wish!  We qualify.  I just checked online, and it says we do qualify, where last week it said it didn't have enough info to find us or something.   We have not yet filed 2019 return, which may be part of the slowdown, but we owe enough (by design - I'd rather take an interest free loan from the gvt than give one to them) that it's not going to make me speed up filing.  Looks like it is just a matter of all things (usually) come to those who wait.

On the IRS site you can enter the info. for the account you want used for direct deposit.