COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

We are down in the Outer Banks of North Carolina for a weeks vacation.  I think NC is  supposed to be 50% capacity for restaurants.  Stopped for dinner at a restaurant in Buxton, NC and place was packed  and several of the servers and managers had masks under their noses. At least one of the servers wore no mask.  e are on Ocracoke now and I picked up dinner at an outdoor bar/restaurant on Silver Lake harbor and the bar was packed and tables looked to be all filled too.  A few servers wore masks as recommended, some did not.  We'll be ordering takeout every night.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Michael said:

We are down in the Outer Banks of North Carolina for a weeks vacation.  I think NC is  supposed to be 50% capacity for restaurants.  Stopped for dinner at a restaurant in Buxton, NC and place was packed  and several of the servers and managers had masks under their noses. At least one of the servers wore no mask.  e are on Ocracoke now and I picked up dinner at an outdoor bar/restaurant on Silver Lake harbor and the bar was packed and tables looked to be all filled too.  A few servers wore masks as recommended, some did not.  We'll be ordering takeout every night.  

Pretty unbelievable. Better safe than sorry. 

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Doubt it. It’s two teams. The same predictions were made when the Marlins and Cardinals had many cases but the two teams managed to play and finish their seasons and MLB had very few cases after that (so far). 

The really interesting follow-up will be whether Biden caught it from all that yelling Trump was doing on stage.  And beyond that, Trump met in person (and maskless) with Pence, McConnell and even Barrett over these past few days.  So quite a few people are likely to have caught this thing from the Superspreader-in-Chief. 

Not that I am wishing anyone any ill of course...

If this holds true elsewhere (that 80% of people infected with COVID in the UK had no core symptoms), then this virus truly will be impossible to beat because we are just not set up to do very widespread testing of entire populations (and probably having to do this repeatedly for a while).  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/08/more-than-80-positive-cases-in-covid-study-had-no-core-symptoms

The main difference with SARS and MERS and some others is that you basically were only contagious at the same time you were clearly exhibiting major symptoms.  I don't think I've ever heard of a disease with such a wide variety of outcomes with large numbers experiencing essentially no symptoms to rapid onset of death.  The hidden killer indeed.

34 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Seven-day high for new cases this past week in Indiana. Things are not going swimmingly, especially with cooler/colder weather on the way.

Ontario hit an all time high last week (still better than Quebec though).  Toronto and the Region of Peel (and Ottawa) are moving back to a modified Stage 2 - no indoor eating or drinking, no gyms or indoor exercise, no movie theatres or performing arts, most (but technically not all) museums are closed, teams can train without any contact but all games are cancelled.  This will last for 28 days but will likely be extended if the trends aren't coming back down.  I'm basically expecting the end of indoor eating and bars until a vaccine is ready, and most restaurants will simply go under.  Probably the independent gyms as well.

My 31 year old daughter called to tell me that the husband of her best friend from high school is still debilitated from COVID-19 that he first contracted in March. He's now developed cardiac issues and the doctors are worried about the blood flow in his lungs. He's having trouble walking and often can't get himself out of bed. Since MARCH.

Yesterday, France had 26,896 new cases - a new record. Spain too. The UK too. The whole world seems to have learned nothing from the mistakes being made in my country.

14 hours ago, bresna said:

The UK too. The whole world seems to have learned nothing from the mistakes being made in my country.

We haven't managed to learn the mistakes made in our country let alone any others. Being led by incompetent fools doesn't help that situation much