COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, medjuck said:

Well here's the gist of it:

Tony Green, on dismissing, denying, contracting and spreading the coronavirus

Here’s the link, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/10/coronavirus-denier-sick-spreader/?arc404=true

I believe the Post is permitting access for pandemic related stories during the pandemic.

Pretty sad story about how this thing can spread. 

The only thing I wouldn't agree with is the line about the rest of the world laughing at us, because that is surely changing - what was it, France, UK and Spain with higher per-capita new infection rate?

Nevertheless, masks are just the most basic precaution and every store should have something like this sign up.

masl.jpg

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Nevertheless, masks are just the most basic precaution and every store should have something like this sign up.

masl.jpg

:tup - That's a good sign.

We actually have relatively few signs up around Toronto, as most folks are pretty good about wearing masks indoors or on transit (and it isn't anywhere near as big a flash point).  That doesn't mean far too many people have their noses uncovered, and we definitely do have a loud (but pretty small) minority of anti-maskers here.  I believe the anti-maskers have a bigger presence in Quebec actually, but probably still much less relevant than in the red states.

But as I said, we are in the midst of a second wave here, and new restrictions were announced.  (The masks help for sure, but it's still not a magic bullet...)  I'm guessing there will be no more indoor dining or drinking at all in Toronto until the vaccine, and the restaurant owners and bars will just have to hang on as best they can.  I'm going to order take out sometime this week, which we haven't done for a while.

Might as well mention this:

My wife felt ill last weekend while I was in Naples with Mom.  Symptoms aren't really COVID (no cough, no congestion - fever/chills, headache, muscle ache especially back pain.) COVID test ordered, waiting on results (3-5 days given as time frame).

Next day I remembered - I removed a tick from her lower leg about ten days ago. Lyme disease symptoms match on fever/chills and aches, she just doesn't have a rash around the bite.  Finally got an appointment with doctor this morning (prior contacts via tel-a-doc, the second of whom thought it definitely could be Lyme but didn't issue a script for getting tested).

Doctor questions that it would be Lyme but I don't think she is too well informed, stated that it takes longer for symptoms but CDC says 3-30 days for initial symptoms.  Bottom line, she's waiting on COVID outcome before Lyme test. At least she prescribed pain meds because the headache prevents her from looking at a computer screen, and the backache means that the horse stalls are a foregone conclusion too (and no, I don't clean those - she has a friend who has helped with cleaning stalls and she was able to come once this week. I'm taking care of the feedings ... and those stalls are getting nasty.)

For the record, its five days since I saw her with symptoms, and I obviously had contact before her symptoms started. I feel 100% fine.

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

best wishes for you both, as well as for the horses. they really are magnificent creatures. I mean, I'm worthy of a dog, but am in no way worthy of a horse. Seriously.

Wait until one bites you.

Good news just now: Susan is negative for COVID.  Given that she was about 4 days into symptoms I am confident its not a false negative. Now has to get appointment for full blood panel and Lyme test and go from there.

15 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Wait until one bites you.

Good news just now: Susan is negative for COVID.  Given that she was about 4 days into symptoms I am confident its not a false negative. Now has to get appointment for full blood panel and Lyme test and go from there.

Glad to hear it Dan. Her case sounds a little reminiscent of mine. Hopefully, it’s not advanced Lyme. 

25 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'd rather be bit by a horse than kissed on the nose by a snake!

I'll try to remember that one.    For parties.

But, Dan, glad to hear your wife was negative.  Had a friend who got lyme and was really run down for a long time.  And he ran marathons....

Lyme's Disease comes from deer tick bites. Was the tick you took off her leg a deer tick? Deer ticks are much smaller than regular wood ticks. They often stay so small that they are gone before the person realizes that they got bit. The telltale bullseye can be the only visual sign that the person got bit at all.

26 minutes ago, bresna said:

Lyme's Disease comes from deer tick bites. Was the tick you took off her leg a deer tick? Deer ticks are much smaller than regular wood ticks. They often stay so small that they are gone before the person realizes that they got bit. The telltale bullseye can be the only visual sign that the person got bit at all.

I can't verify that it was a deer tick. But it should also be noted that per the CDC 20-30% of cases do NOT include the bulls eye rash.