COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that whole QAnon bullshit theory also pops up more and more here in the Netherlands. I cant believe one actually believes these ridiculous theories. What comforts me is that in all the high school classes where I that’s were able to have a good laugh at those idiots. Fortunately there is not one student who believes it. 

Now they are here calling names and threatening politicians trying to enter the Dutch parliament building. Calling them pedophile satanists. Getting all these attention by the mainstream media. Really guys what do we have to with people that are this stupid? Cant they just have their own country and leave us alone? 

16 minutes ago, Pim said:

Yeah that whole QAnon bullshit theory also pops up more and more here in the Netherlands. I cant believe one actually believes these ridiculous theories. What comforts me is that in all the high school classes where I that’s were able to have a good laugh at those idiots. Fortunately there is not one student who believes it. 

Now they are here calling names and threatening politicians trying to enter the Dutch parliament building. Calling them pedophile satanists. Getting all these attention by the mainstream media. Really guys what do we have to with people that are this stupid? Cant they just have their own country and leave us alone? 

The stupidity of the people is infinite ....

It might not have made much difference in the end, but certainly some people are arguing that Ontario really started spiralling back out of control a week or two after Canadian Thanksgiving (because so many people couldn't resist going off and meeting relatives and mingling with people outside their bubbles).  I can only imagine what will happen in the States.

At any rate, it looks like Toronto (and Peel and York) are heading towards a pretty strict lockdown this weekend.  I'm glad I ran off to the hardware store and got some extra supplies, as we may be back to on-line shopping for a while.

On a slightly cheerier note, I think it's pretty cool that Dolly Parton's donation helped kickstart one of the successful (so far) vaccines.  I imagine at some level her involvement may sway at least some of the vaccine-shy to get the shot when available.  At this point, anything will help...

I too hope he's fine. Yesterday the older of my two brother's told me that he felt ill and had tried to get tested on Saturday but the testing ended before his turn came up. He is getting tested today. He says he has symptoms but is not "deathly ill." As his brother I understand that means that he's doing his best dance of denial and could be either with mild symptoms or really ill . . . . I'm trying not to be worried.

Edited by jazzbo

Worrisome ... as I am concerned that my Mom's home aide is having 18 family members (about 13 don't live with them) over for Thanksgiving. I've told her she has to make sure Olga wears a mask for at least 2 weeks when she comes back to work next Monday. this may be a good chance to find out if a mask really protects other people and not the wearer.  I'm just annoyed they would do such a gathering at all.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:07 AM, JSngry said:

Our generation grew up on conspiracy theories, UFOs, JFK, Viet Nam, on and on and on on and on (it's like the hot butter on the SAY WHAT????). We have lost our collective ability to cull, discern, and just flat out call bullshit when bullshit it obviously is.

Boomers. Again.

I'll call it on mine, all you millXers or whatever, y'all call it on your own.

This kind of thing is as American as Apple Pie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paranoid_Style_in_American_Politics

21 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Worrisome ... as I am concerned that my Mom's home aide is having 18 family members (about 13 don't live with them) over for Thanksgiving. I've told her she has to make sure Olga wears a mask for at least 2 weeks when she comes back to work next Monday. this may be a good chance to find out if a mask really protects other people and not the wearer.  I'm just annoyed they would do such a gathering at all.

Her home aide has not been wearing masks?! Please, make them do it. Can you request another home aide for your mom for the next 2 weeks?

My mother had Covid, most probably picked it up from one of her home aides in the Spring of this year, since they've been the only people to visit her in the past 8 months. Luckily she had zero symptoms. She tested positive for antibodies, that's how we found out..

Also,  here is a peer reviewed publication stating the Covid-19 antibodies were present in samples gathered in Northern Italy as early as September of 2019. Which, to me, brings this onto yet another step of mendacity surrounding this pandemic.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0300891620974755

Just now, Dmitry said:

Her home aide has not been wearing masks?! Please, make them do it. Can you request another home aide for your mom for the next 2 weeks?

Mom is very particular about who comes on a daily basis.  There was a Covid scare with this woman - she quarantined at home for a period of time but in the end no one had it. But I do get your concern, she's someone from "outside" coming in 5 days a week. So I will discuss with my sister. We're certainly insisting on a prolonged period of mask wearing after Thanksgiving.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:37 AM, Dan Gould said:

Dan - masks aren’t perfect.  Being in an enclosed space with an infected person over an extended period of time is a high risk even if both people are wearing a mask.  (And wouldn’t they take off their masks to eat?)

can you get a different caretaker, at least for a short span of time?  Have you considered offering the caretaker a $$$$ bonus not to attend that gathering?

If not... make sure you get them both KN95 masks. Have them spend as much time as possible outside.  Leave the windows open to the outside.  Might be a good idea to get both tested daily until the 2 week window is over.

15 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Dan - masks aren’t perfect.  Being in an enclosed space with an infected person over an extended period of time is a high risk even if both people are wearing a mask.  (And wouldn’t they take off their masks to eat?)

can you get a different caretaker, at least for a short span of time?  Have you considered offering the caretaker a $$$$ bonus not to attend that gathering?

If not... make sure you get them both KN95 masks. Have them spend as much time as possible outside.  Leave the windows open to the outside.  Might be a good idea to get both tested daily until the 2 week window is over.

The woman is hosting the event. There's no option to bribe her not to be involved.  Mom worries less about the virus than we think is proper so its unlikely she would agree to a different aide.  I am however going to suggest to my sister that we consider having her limit her time in the house and mostly take care of her shopping needs for the two weeks.

Daily testing is not realistic by any stretch of the imagination, from what I know about getting tested.

My in-laws are attending various gatherings with people from various states today.  Here's hoping their stupidity doesn't kill anyone.  The three of us in our household will be doing the responsible thing and having a low-key holiday of our own.

My wife has a much-needed vacation planned.  Although we obviously didn't have any plans, she needs and deserves some time to recharge.  Unfortunately, she is in healthcare and expects to cancel her vacation once the Thanksgiving aftermath hits.

40 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Well my worst 2020 fears are realized: my Dad was tested 9 days ago and found out he was positive two days ago. So far he has extreme fatigue, but luckily so far no pulminary impact.

Keeping my fingers crossed, Lon that nothing gets into his lungs and he fights this off.

(Not a good sign that its 7 days to get a result but maybe I shouldn't be that surprised all things considered.)