COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my mother's retirement place, there are currently 4 residents and 1 staff member testing positive. They already had a run in with C-19 back in April so this is round 2. The last time, they had quite a few deaths. I keep calling my mom to see if she's still safe. So far, so good. But I can't seem to get her to remember that mask when she's out in the halls though. She's 83 and forgets.

11 minutes ago, bresna said:

At my mother's retirement place, there are currently 4 residents and 1 staff member testing positive. They already had a run in with C-19 back in April so this is round 2. The last time, they had quite a few deaths. I keep calling my mom to see if she's still safe. So far, so good. But I can't seem to get her to remember that mask when she's out in the halls though. She's 83 and forgets.

Is her door usually closed while she is in her room or is it an apartment? I would get her or someone to put up a sign that says "Mask on!" so she sees it at the door before leaving.

33 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Is her door usually closed while she is in her room or is it an apartment? I would get her or someone to put up a sign that says "Mask on!" so she sees it at the door before leaving.

The opposite. She always leaves her door open so she can say hi to anyone that walks past. I think it's her favorite pastime. If she didn't have that door open and get a wave in every now & then, it'd just be her and the 4 walls. They shut down all activities as well as the cafeteria almost 2 weeks ago. I feel terrible and want to bring her here but I have to work and I don't have any way to take care of her medical needs.

Edited by bresna

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Your father’s in my thoughts, Lon. Please keep us posted.

Thanks David. He has fallen twice this week so far, which is very uncharcteristic, but the main symptom other than extreme fatique has been gastro-intestinal, and his lungs have been examined and seem fine.  Promising so far. My brother has finally become symptom free and will return to work on Tuesday. 

17 hours ago, bresna said:

The opposite. She always leaves her door open so she can say hi to anyone that walks past. I think it's her favorite pastime. If she didn't have that door open and get a wave in every now & then, it'd just be her and the 4 walls. They shut down all activities as well as the cafeteria almost 2 weeks ago. I feel terrible and want to bring her here but I have to work and I don't have any way to take care of her medical needs.

I can only imagine the sense of isolation she must be feeling but the sign can certainly go on the side of the door frame at eye level then ...

On 12/3/2020 at 5:32 AM, jazzbo said:

Well my worst 2020 fears are realized: my Dad was tested 9 days ago and found out he was positive two days ago. So far he has extreme fatigue, but luckily so far no pulminary impact.

Sending goods thoughts out about your father. May all be well.

Was on a Zoom mtg this morning with about twenty 6 & 7 year olds (and their parents), for  a virtual 6th birthday party for the son of a friend of ours.

If you have any similar circumstances, and are looking for some special entertainment for the little ones — I can recommend the virtual distanced fun that is BubbleDad...

https://www.bubbledad.com/

3 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

All my best thoughts to you and your dad Lon.

Thank you. Last night he was moved from the hospital to the "skilled nursing" wing of his assisted-living facility for "rehabilitation." He is sounding much better and we're optimistic that in (an unspecified length of) time he can return to his apartment. Hopefully we dodged a bullet; m siblings and I are NOT ready to lose him yet.

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

Thank you. Last night he was moved from the hospital to the "skilled nursing" wing of his assisted-living facility for "rehabilitation." He is sounding much better and we're optimistic that in (an unspecified length of) time he can return to his apartment. Hopefully we dodged a bullet; m siblings and I are NOT ready to lose him yet.

So very happy to hear this.  My mom is in a facility in Saskatchewan so I'm unable to visit her right now.  I imagine many of the members here and their parents are in some variation of this situation.  Very trying times.

My 78 year old uncle contracted it way back in the early days (April or so) and with his heart problems, I didn't think he was going to make it but he got a mild case and seems to be OK today.

My mom's place hasn't had a new case in a week. It was getting to the point that I was dreading mid day phone calls from her.

Good to hear about the favorable outcomes. And pulling for your dad, Lonson. My mom is 92 so, though we had a small Thanksgiving dinner here, we are not getting together for Christmas this year.  As the eldest son, I guess I need to  organize an event to make it an even a memorable one..or maybe not

• 2 weeks later...

My wife got a call from her sister today. Sister lives with their Mom and her sister in Jupiter Florida. Their brother lives nearby in Palm Beach Gardens.

Seems that yesterday Bob ran into their mother at the local Sam's Club, gave her a hug and helped her load up.

Today he had a temperature of 107.  And apparently that didn't earn him a bed at the hospital.

So in addition to being worried about their brother, now they have to worry about Mom and Aunt Lyn who are 78-80 years old. And Patty is morbidly obese so if she gets it from Bob thru Mom, who knows ...

The lockdown in Toronto and Peel is being extended and "tightened" in unspecified ways that we find out on Monday.  I know that people are very weary and are longing for their old lives back.  I've heard that office workers may be told unilaterally that they need to stay home, but I hope that doesn't happen.  The city of Hamilton is entering lockdown on Monday as well.

Very glad and still a bit amazed that the vaccines have arrived so early.  This came at a truly ground-breaking pace, but it will still be a long winter, even with light at the end of the tunnel (late spring maybe when a reasonable number of people have been vaccinated and we can do a few outdoor social things again?).  Please don't listen to this "expert": https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/brazil-s-bolsonaro-warns-virus-vaccine-can-turn-people-into-crocodiles-1.5237678

The vaccine will not turn you into a crocodile...

As hard as it is, I think it is still best not to travel to see loved ones over the holidays and just celebrate twice as much next year.  Hoping that everyone can stay safe and still enjoy the holidays (in moderation)...

36 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Please don't listen to this "expert": https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/brazil-s-bolsonaro-warns-virus-vaccine-can-turn-people-into-crocodiles-1.5237678

The vaccine will not turn you into a crocodile...

No, not quite ...

This pic has been circulating on the social media in France: ;)

40115446la.jpg

Actually I really am keeping my fingers crossed the vaccine will improve matters enormously and soon. But it does worry me that there seem to be many doctors and nurses here who are exceedingly wary about rushing out to get vaccinated (and my better half who works in the medical field is hesitant too - what she has witnessed among a number of patients who for professional reasons had to have themselves vaccinated against porcine flu - that was rampant a couple of years ago in some areas - was not always pleasant as far as the side effects went and in at least one case she herself witnessed has caused lasting damage ...) So, honestly, I am sure many citizens would feel a lot safer if in these initial stages of vaccination it would be a matter of course that ALL the members of Parliament of a country that starts vaccinating would be among those who get vaccinated FIRST. The politicians place their bets on the vaccine and tell us that side effects or allergies - if any - will (yes, "WILL", not "should") be very light only (heard here from one in the news only yesterday, but how does he KNOW?) so they should be happy to serve as post-clinical-trial guinea pigs.

Edited by Big Beat Steve