COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Pim said:

I know. But my wife was infectious from Tuesday. Of course it’s all still possible. ...

I have a co-worker whose roommate was diagnosed positive. My co-worker got tested and came back negative. He still had to quarantine. 3 days later, he tested positive and he had a pretty bad case.

10 hours ago, bresna said:

I have a co-worker whose roommate was diagnosed positive. My co-worker got tested and came back negative. He still had to quarantine. 3 days later, he tested positive and he had a pretty bad case.

Thanks for that hopeful message Bresna :blink::lol:

My wife's symptoms seem to vanish little by little. Hardest thing right now is to remain calm yourself. With every cough or sneeze I think to myself: oh dear, is this it? My 2.5 years old son really enjoys our quaraintine time together. All that attention!

4 hours ago, Pim said:

Thanks for that hopeful message Bresna :blink::lol:

My wife's symptoms seem to vanish little by little. Hardest thing right now is to remain calm yourself. With every cough or sneeze I think to myself: oh dear, is this it? My 2.5 years old son really enjoys our quaraintine time together. All that attention!

I'm just trying to let you know that your negative result should not make you think you're in the clear yet. It's great news that you're negative and I'm sure I speak for us all in our wish that you stay that way.

BTW - the reason I was so concerned with my co-worker's negative test result was because I had met with him 1 on 1 for over an hour in a closed office, so when he told me he was negative, My wife & I breathed a sigh of relief. When he called me 3 days later to say he was now positive, I was a bit freaked out. It was lesson to always be aware of the precautions needed to protect those around you. Luckily, I did not get it that time, but I was glad I kept my daughters away for those two weeks. They were planning a visit that weekend. I would've felt terrible if they had visited and I later found out I had it but was asymptomatic.

BTW II - Are the Netherlands still in lockdown?

Edited by bresna

37 minutes ago, bresna said:

I'm just trying to let you know that your negative result should not make you think you're in the clear yet. It's great news that you're negative and I'm sure I speak for us all in our wish that you stay that way.

BTW - the reason I was so concerned with my co-worker's negative test result was because I had met with him 1 on 1 for over an hour in a closed office, so when he told me he was negative, My wife & I breathed a sigh of relief. When he called me 3 days later to say he was now positive, I was a bit freaked out. It was lesson to always be aware of the precautions needed to protect those around you. Luckily, I did not get it that time, but I was glad I kept my daughters away for those two weeks. They were planning a visit that weekend. I would've felt terrible if they had visited and I later found out I had it but was asymptomatic.

BTW II - Are the Netherlands still in lockdown?

Haha of course I know you wish that for me ;) I was just kidding. But I also know that I might still get the infection, that's why I said: It's all still possible. Netherlands is still largely in a lockdown and predictions are not good. They think it might last until June but the support for it get's smaller everyday. Partly for very strange decisions. Also the Dutch government was very slow with two very important weapons against the virus: first testing and then the vaccination program. Were getting up now but that is of course too late for all of those who died unnecessary because of those mistakes.

They opened all primary schools and the high schools partially a month ago. You don't have to be Nostradamus to predict that infections will rise again. Research in the Netherlands proved that schools might be the biggest source of contamination. So rates are going up since the opening of the schools and now there is not even a small opportunity for shops or restaurants to open under strict conditions. They are closed for 3 months now and the economical effects are really alarming now. 

I work at a high school as a teacher. When they opened up our school they promised us quick testing at our location. Were one month further now and there's not even a plan for it anymore. They really should be ashamed of themselves.

3 hours ago, Pim said:

I work at a high school as a teacher. When they opened up our school they promised us quick testing at our location. Were one month further now and there's not even a plan for it anymore. They really should be ashamed of themselves.

My wife and daughters are both teachers and they both just got their first vaccine shots last week. My wife has been extremely nervous going into work these past 7 months. I think she has only managed to stay COVID-free because of her paranoia. She comes home with her face all red from never taking off her mask. My daughter teaches Kindergarten and those younger children have a tough time with personal boundaries, much less 6 feet. :) She uses so much hand sanitizer that her hands are chapped and split.

I hope as the vaccination levels rise, this can fade into an ugly memory... until COVID-22 or 23 comes along. :(

Just got a call out of the blue from my regular doctor’s office, asking if I could come down on very short notice tomorrow (or maybe another day this week).

They’re administering J&J shots, and once a vial is open, they have to use all of it within X (4?) hours — and if they call me, can I get there in less than 90 minutes (and which days this week do I have that kind of flexibility).

I also had to have a pre-condition (or maybe that just helped put my name higher on the list) — and my BMI is definitely over 30 (alas), improving my odds — having gained 20 lbs over the last year.

My 93 year old Dad gets his 2nd Pfizer shot tomorrow, and my wife got her 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday (she’s borderline diabetic — but just barely on the “actually diabetic” side of the line, so close enough to qualify). And my wife’s parents both got their second shots a couple weeks ago (both of them are in their early 80’s).

So fingers-crossed for me tomorrow, or this week — knock on wood!!

My wife is 6 days without symptoms now and my third test today came out negative again. This means I can go to work again tomorrow. We have the luck that it was just a mild case. Unfortunately that does not go for everyone of course.

thanks guys for all your kind messages. It’s not a weird thing but is nevertheless very special when people from all over the world wish you good health. 

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting review of COVID lock-down studies that argues that costs of lockdowns are way higher than benefits and that other studies have systematically under-counted costs and over-counted benefits.

http://www.sfu.ca/~allen/LockdownReport.pdf

Most interesting points in my opinion are:

That if costs only take into account hits to GDP they are grossly underestimated, for not taking into account losses to "civil liberty, lost social contact, lost educational opportunities, lost medical preventions and procedures, increased domestic violence, increased anxiety and mental suffering, and increased deaths of despair."

And, that the assumption about the "value of a statistical life" (set to $10,000,000 for these studies) does not account for the way deaths have been concentrated among those 60+.  (VSL varies from around $14 million for an infant to about $2 million for someone over 85).

Thought provoking, IMO. What do you think?

45 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Douglas W. Allen?

Sure, it's wonderful, if you're comfortable getting your info from a quackpot.

How about you engage with his arguments instead of calling the guy names?  Whatever he's concluded about the education outcome for kids with gay parents, it has absolutely zero to do with his economic arguments outlined in his paper.

• 1 month later...