COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Not me. Does anyone know his real name and where he lives so they can do a quick search of the 'net?

First name Jeff, but that's all I know.

Many years ago, I may have had USPS correspondence with him regarding some kind of bet or contest, but didn't retain anything and don't recall details.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Moderna booster yesterday. Spent last night with the chills, aches, 102 fever, shaking. Feel better today, but fell asleep on the couch. a few hours ago.

A friend of mine who got the Moderna two weeks ago from his doc said that the doc told him the side f/x get stronger after each shot, but they go away in about 24 hours. He said that your body starts making antibodies after only seven days, not 14 like the 18 year-old medical genius that gave me the shot in the drug store told me.

3 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Got my Moderna booster yesterday. Spent last night with the chills, aches, 102 fever, shaking. Feel better today, but fell asleep on the couch. a few hours ago.

A friend of mine who got the Moderna two weeks ago from his doc said that the doc told him the side f/x get stronger after each shot, but they go away in about 24 hours. He said that your body starts making antibodies after only seven days, not 14 like the 18 year-old medical genius that gave me the shot in the drug store told me.

You got a Moderna booster already?

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

You got a Moderna booster already?

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

NY is a very corrupt place.The pianist in a big band I play in just gave me the address of a drug store that's giving them to people left and right. After the shot, they say, "Now you should buy all your drugs here from now on".

They don't give a schist about age, but they did turn down some woman in her 30s! My friend who got the shot two weeks ago is about 60.

This is the North Shore of Lawnguyland, where "Money talks", in a voice that rustled.

Opening line of which great novel?

Wow, I hope they're not fucking up...

There is a difference between a third dose and a booster shot. A third dose is given to severely immunocompromised people as soon as 28 days after the second dose because eligible individuals did not have a strong enough response to the first two doses of an mRNA vaccine because of their conditions. 

Booster shots, which are currently only approved for Pfizer recipients, are additional doses given after the protection from original shots decreases over time; currently, the Pfizer booster is given to eligible people six months after their second dose.

https://www.weny.com/story/44839566/chemung-county-to-offer-third-doses-of-pfizer-moderna-to-severely-immunocompromised-people-at-upcoming-vaccination-clinics

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Wow, I hope they're not fucking up...

There is a difference between a third dose and a booster shot. A third dose is given to severely immunocompromised people as soon as 28 days after the second dose because eligible individuals did not have a strong enough response to the first two doses of an mRNA vaccine because of their conditions. 

Booster shots, which are currently only approved for Pfizer recipients, are additional doses given after the protection from original shots decreases over time; currently, the Pfizer booster is given to eligible people six months after their second dose.

https://www.weny.com/story/44839566/chemung-county-to-offer-third-doses-of-pfizer-moderna-to-severely-immunocompromised-people-at-upcoming-vaccination-clinics

The only difference according to that is the time after the last shot that they're given. In my case it was seven months after my second shot. They said that it was the same dose as the other two, although I read somewhere that Moderna originally planned to give half the dose of the first two as a booster. They must have changed their mind when the Delta variant came around.

16 hours ago, sgcim said:

The only difference according to that is the time after the last shot that they're given. In my case it was seven months after my second shot. They said that it was the same dose as the other two, although I read somewhere that Moderna originally planned to give half the dose of the first two as a booster. They must have changed their mind when the Delta variant came around.

Looks like they didn't change their mind; Moderna is going to be approved at one half the dose of the first two shots. I'm going to be a mRNA Mutant!:alien:

9 hours ago, medjuck said:

Why?  (I always think everything in Maine should be compared to the neighbouring province New Brunswick, where I'm from. )

The numbers are going up everywhere due to the Delta variant. Also, the Northern part of Maine is very rural and due to a large right-leaning population up there, has a much lower vaccination rate than the Southern end of the state. As a result, they are seeing a lot more cases and a lot more cases requiring hospitalization, which is putting a strain on their hospitals as they have a lot less ICU beds up there to begin with. For instance, York County, the Southernmost county where I live, has a population of ~208,000 people and has had 721 cases from Sept. 16-29. Penobscot County, which has a population of 152,000 has had 1,541 cases during that same time period.

• 4 weeks later...

strict 6 month gap here between second doses and boosters so it's another 3 weeks + for me. Having had a major op in the interim I wish it were sooner especially given our government's negligent management of community infection levels.

Edited by mjazzg