COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

This comic strip is not hitting the mark with me. Most of these vaccines are given to little children, and parents make the decision whether to have them administered [why not...that's another story]. Had they waited till adulthood, those who refuse the COVID vaccine, would ostensibly refuse the other ones as well. 

Adults have to get tetanus booster shots. If all of the people refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine, refused their tetanus shots, I imagine we'd be hearing about 10% of the people dying from getting tetanus by now. It's a horrible way to die. But we don't. Because they do get their tetanus shot when their doctor tells them to because they can die from it.

And for the record, the tetanus booster shot is the second most painful shot I've gotten, second only to the Shingles vaccine shot (that I just got a few months ago). I still plan to get one every 10 years.

Edited by bresna

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, bresna said:

Adults have to get tetanus booster shots. If all of the people refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine, refused their tetanus shots, I imagine we'd be hearing about 10% of the people dying from getting tetanus by now. It's a horrible way to die. But we don't. Because they do get their tetanus shot when their doctor tells them to because they can die from it.

And for the record, the tetanus booster shot is the second most painful shot I've gotten, second only to the Shingles vaccine shot (that I just got a few months ago). I still plan to get one every 10 years.

Doubtful every adult chooses to get the tetanus booster, when asked. It's not mandated by any government body, to my knowledge, unless, maybe one is in the armed services... It's been around since the 1920s, so most of the first world population alive today would've gotten it when they were kids.

My 84 year-old mother (vaccinated) was here Xmas day for about 6 hrs.   There were 4 of us.   She felt poor on Sunday and went to the doc Tue and tested positive.  No hospital stay or anything but it was pretty bad and she was quite ill for about 5 or 6 days.  When the rest of us (3 people) all got tested (antigen & PCR) Wed/Thur we were negative.   I was surprised….pleasantly surprised, that is.  

57 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

R, glad you all tested negative and hope your Mom continues to recuperate gracefully.

Thank you, Lon.   Appreciate it.   Happy New Year!

47 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Eight[!!!] members of my wife's family tested positive after the New Year's party.

Yikes!!   I hope they all all doing well

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

17 minutes ago, felser said:

Count in my and my wife's extended family (two dozen people):  Literal results - every unvaccinated person has gotten covid and every vaccinated person has not gotten covid.  Just sayin'...

Out of my wife's 8 positive relatives, 4 were vaccinated, 4 weren't.

6 minutes ago, felser said:

Count in my and my wife's extended family (two dozen people):  Literal results - every unvaccinated person has gotten covid and every vaccinated person has not gotten covid.  Just sayin'...

My family is 100% double or triple vaccinated over the age of ten. I and my wife are the only doubles, and that's purely for logistical reasons - I would have had the booster if timing had been right, and I will have one later in the year.

Of the ten of us, all have had symptomatic COVID in the last three weeks. The sole exception is my three year old son, who is not vaccinated (he's three), but who may have been asymptomatic (his 1 year old sister did have symptoms).

Other than my 78 year old dad, who is an old hand by now, it was the first bout for everyone, including my brother and his fiancée who are doctors but have remarkably not had it yet. 

As for literal results - it's been pretty mild, for which I think we can thank the double and triple vaccinations.  

Well we're not supposed to get into politics but the Opinions are pretty compelling in favor of the majority. They certainly are to me.

Precedent and text of the OSHA statute supports the necessity of legislative action to approve or establish such a mandate. And Omicron, which makes the vaccinated vectors of disease, too, doesn't exactly help Biden's case. 

The court isn't prohibiting private companies, large and small, from instituting vaccine mandates, let's recall. It is saying that the constitution, the legislative text, and their precedents establish that Federal authority is lacking.

<deleted for overt political comment>

And anyway I have suspected all along that this is what Biden knew was coming, especially in light of the Supremes decision on the eviction moratorium, and what this was about was not enforcing a mandate on all these businesses by a beauracracy that can hardly function on its actual mandate, but as a way to give cover to large corporations with tens of thousands of employees to announce and start enforcing a mandate of their own.

And I would argue that its had its intended effect - most corporations were claiming 90-95% compliance already.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

Edited by Dan Gould

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Limiting this thirst for expanded executive power to "the left" is wrong.

And you're right, we're not supposed to get into politics here, so "but" is admitting an overstep.

I don't think discussing the logic of an SC is decision is of necessity "political".  I'll cop to that referencing the left is a political statement and I will edit it out.