COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Michael said:

My test just came in....Posi-tiv-o--vouty....As Slim would say....

I'm doing fine after a couple of slightly rough days.  Have had the Pfizer two shot and booster.  Nothings perfect.

Hope it gets only better from now on Michael! 

My last remaining uncle just contracted Covid and passed away, at 94 years old.  He had all three Covid shots, but had been moved into a nursing home near Austin because he was no longer able to care for himself.  Apparently he somehow contracted Covid while in the care of the nursing home.

He's now the 3rd that I personally know who's passed away from Covid, although the 1st that had their vaccinations.

I know three people who have died, though not as close friends. And my father is in hospice because of COVID--he caught it and it threw the years long struggle to get his blood pressure (he had orthostatic hypotension really bad and over the course of ten years they finally got it manageable and COVID destroyed the balance) right out the window and supported by two aides recovering he fell and broke his ankle in two places. . . and has not really been out of bed since as he could not do PT due to his blood pressure dropping many many points when he stands.

I guess it's a blessing that Omicron is not as DEADLY as Delta. But nearing 8 and a half hundred thousand deaths; that's scary just to think about.

Edited by jazzbo

1 minute ago, bresna said:

https://nypost.com/2022/01/13/man-claims-his-penis-shrunk-after-contracting-covid/

If you're a man, what more reason could you need to get vaccinated? Potentially dying or having a shrunken dick? One of those two threats really should be enough. :)

Not in the age of Omicron, where breakthrough infections are everywhere. Now, you get it, you live, you get shrunken dick. Is that a tradeoff worth accepting?

BTW its vascular damage, apparently, that does the deed.  I think you can attach small weights to help restore what's lost?

5 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Not in the age of Omicron, where breakthrough infections are everywhere. Now, you get it, you live, you get shrunken dick. Is that a tradeoff worth accepting?

BTW its vascular damage, apparently, that does the deed.  I think you can attach small weights to help restore what's lost?

The article seems to imply that the vascular damage happens in bad cases of COVID requiring hospitalization. If you are vaccinated, your chances of that happening go way, way down as unvaccinated people have a 13 to 14 times higher chance of requiring hospitalization than someone who is vaccinated. A vaccinated person has a higher chance of having asymptomatic COVID than getting hospitalized with it. If you get a sniffling nose from COVID, it's probably extremely unlikely that you'd suffer debilitating vascular damage.

I'm about a week into when I first showed symptoms.   Probably would have just isolated for a week or two had my 93 yr old mom not suffered a heart attack last Wendesday.  She had a couple stents inserted last Thursday, in what turned out to be a measure of last resort.  So I got tested Thursday to confirm my status one way or the other, so I could visit or not.  Got the 'positive' notice Saturday evening and she passed to the other side Sunday morning.   My brother, sister in law and daughter was with her a lot the last few days so she was not alone.  But my sister and i both tested positive and could not be there physically.    It's tough but I keep in mind the thousands who were hospitalized or in nursing homes and died away from any family members during the pre-vaccine/ non-surge days of the pandemic.  

I am on a hybrid remote/in-office schedule.  About 15 co-workers in my building have had COVID recently, probably Omicron, but I don't know for sure.  Management keep silent regarding our working remotely.  Many of us shifted primarily to remote work because of this.  I am going in only when I need to.  There is no one there anyway.

I'm triple vaxed as well as flu vaxed and I have recently contracted Covid.  It is not as mild as I was led to believe it would be for a vaccinated individual.  In retrospect it seems inevitable that I would contract this illness, working as I do in that Government sponsored petri dish, the public schools.  To its credit my school district has a mask mandate in defiance of the state governor's specific order against any such restrictions.  

4 hours ago, Michael said:

I'm about a week into when I first showed symptoms.   Probably would have just isolated for a week or two had my 93 yr old mom not suffered a heart attack last Wendesday.  She had a couple stents inserted last Thursday, in what turned out to be a measure of last resort.  So I got tested Thursday to confirm my status one way or the other, so I could visit or not.  Got the 'positive' notice Saturday evening and she passed to the other side Sunday morning.   My brother, sister in law and daughter was with her a lot the last few days so she was not alone.  But my sister and i both tested positive and could not be there physically.    It's tough but I keep in mind the thousands who were hospitalized or in nursing homes and died away from any family members during the pre-vaccine/ non-surge days of the pandemic.  

So sorry to hear that. Condolences. 

You can’t make this shit up…

https://www.wmfe.org/pino-put-on-leave-for-encouraging-orange-county-department-of-health-employees-to-get-vaccinated/195298

The Florida Department of Health Medical Director that oversees areas of Orange County including Orlando has been put on leave for encouraging his own staff to get vaccinated. 

Orange County Medical Director Dr. Raul Pino wrote an email to staff on Jan. 4th encouraging them to get vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19.

In an email to WMFE, the Florida Department of Health has confirmed Pino was put on leave because, “the decision to get vaccinated is a personal choice that should be free from coercion and mandates from employers.”

Florida DOH says it’s even conducting an inquiry into whether any laws were broken by sending the email.

Appreciate the many condolence messages .  Currently the covid symptoms are fading and feeling close to 100% , just some nasal congestions.   Funeral home visitation Friday/ mass and luncheon Saturday.  Hvae some N95 masks but still not looking forward to meeting and greeting a lot of people but it will all be over in a few days.   Hope the most vulnerable will make the smart choice.  I know my mom doesn't care!  

take it easy

Mike