COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious if any of you guys that workout at your local gym are seeing mask enforcement?  I ask this question because I plan on leaving the gym I presently work out at on Friday. The woman who runs the facility pretty much has abdicated any sense of responsibility. Most people are walking around maskless. She's selling the gym and I guess she just doesn't give a s*** anymore. I'm taking my business elsewhere thankfully.

18 minutes ago, Tom 1960 said:

Curious if any of you guys that workout at your local gym are seeing mask enforcement?  I ask this question because I plan on leaving the gym I presently work out at on Friday. The woman who runs the facility pretty much has abdicated any sense of responsibility. Most people are walking around maskless. She's selling the gym and I guess she just doesn't give a s*** anymore. I'm taking my business elsewhere thankfully.

When did she decide to sell, before or after COVID? If business is down substantially due to prior COVID restrictions and she's making a lot less on a sale ... I don't know I might not give too much of a shit either.

42 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

When did she decide to sell, before or after COVID? If business is down substantially due to prior COVID restrictions and she's making a lot less on a sale ... I don't know I might not give too much of a shit either.

The sale of the gym became official probably a month ago. It sounds like the guy that owns the building will take over the operation and find people to run it. They have lost a lot of members due to covid. 

2 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

She's lucky to still be open. Masks are mandated in Maine and they have closed places for not enforcing it. Our numbers are climbing every day because of places like this. We're becoming the state with "COVID weddings" as we're on our second super-spreader wedding. One more and got a hat trick!

Gyms throughout most of GTHA were all shut down by the Province.

Previously, I was going about twice a week.  The employees gently reminded people to wear masks and there was a moderate social pressure.  Generally people were pretty good about wearing masks when not hydrating.  It was about 50/50 in terms of people wearing masks while actually exercising.  So it wasn't too bad overall.  I only was uncomfortable a few times, though I probably wouldn't have joined a spinning class.

Looks like Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence has been diagnosed with Covid-19.  The Tigers play Notre Dame a week from Saturday in probably the biggest game of the college season so far, so unless Coach Dabo dabbles in areas most coaches can't go, Lawrence will be in quarantine.  Should be interesting.  

8 hours ago, Dave James said:

Looks like Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence has been diagnosed with Covid-19.  The Tigers play Notre Dame a week from Saturday in probably the biggest game of the college season so far, so unless Coach Dabo dabbles in areas most coaches can't go, Lawrence will be in quarantine.  Should be interesting.  

I have a co-worker who's son is at Clemson and COVID-19 is rampant down there. My co-worker's son got as has all of his dorm roommates. They have all recovered, so my co-worker is kind of like, "No big deal". I do hope that there are no long-term effects from COVID-19 on these young adults. I've read that a few develop heart issues. We won't know the full effect for a while and then it'll be too late for a lot of them.

South Carolina just doesn't care. The buffets in Myrtle Beach were open over Memorial Day weekend and waits to get into regular restaurants were over 2 hours. Mask-wearing is rare. A friend who lives in Greenville continues to be amazed at how lax it all is. The state is fortunate to have a low population overall, but they get a ton of tourists to Myrtle & Charleston who then go back home to other states with possible exposure. 

In the yellow-orange-red-purple scale of good to worse my rural county where everyone erroneously seems to think either the virus is an overblown light flu or the virus has "turned the corner" (this is a very Trumpian area) has gone RED. And the neighboring county wherein my two brothers live has turned PURPLE. I still only personally know five persons who were infected and all have survived. . . but things are not great here.

Edited by jazzbo

Another one month lockdown announced here, with the exception of education establishments. Time to get a haircut..

Local rates very low still - thankfully. Apparently the demographic in the UK seeing the most increases in hospitalisation is not the oldies but females in age range 20-40 !

Edited by sidewinder

My wife was just informed that due to the recent rise in cases and following CDC guidance, her New Hampshire school is going back to full remote on Friday (Nov. 6). My wife is not looking forward to this again. It is very difficult to teach her special needs kids remotely.

Thanks again, covidiots. It's because of you that we're in this situation again.

Many of the people I know in my hometown have not been taking the virus seriously.  As ill-advised gatherings move indoors, it'll be a rough fall and winter.  My wife and I are going to ruffle feathers when we do take it seriously, so it is going to be a rough holiday season.  In the end, my obligation to be safe and responsible trumps my desire to make people happy.  It is still stressful, though.

Similar attitudes and intelligence here in Pittsburgh area.  In line at the polls yesterday, we had an enthusiastic crowd and little social distancing or proper mask wearing, when at all.  I really wonder what good wearing a face shield does? 

My daughter, who is a restaurant server, loves wearing a mask.  She doesn't have to use too much make-up.     Kids these days!!!!!!

Edited by Michael

This article pretty much explains it:

According to a tally by the Washington Post, 13 states — Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Wisconsin — on Tuesday reported record numbers of patients hospitalized with coronavirus.

With the exception of New Mexico and Wisconsin, all of those states have been won by President Trump.

Mask wearing is about 90% here in Washington DC. Not sure about the wider DC metro (my wife and I live in DC proper).

Maybe 85% — I’ll fully grant that my sample is largely what I’m seeing, and hearing news reports of (probably also anecdotal).

In any case, though, the positivity rate here (last I checked), was less than 2% — and has been that way for a couple months.

We’re still in Phase 2 now (have been for months and months) — and never opened under phase 3, despite having met the guidelines for Phase 3 a number of times (we may be meeting them now).

They’ve moves those “guideline” goalposts a few times, in order to justify staying in Phase 2 — which I think has been smart. Business/employment might be a tad higher under Phase 3, but only for 6-8 weeks, after which I’m betting cases would be back up again, and we’d have to move back to Phase 2 again (or we’d need to, and there’s be a massive pushback against closing down again).

I’m not sure of all the technical details, but I think we’re a little more open than when we were first on Phase 2 back in June and July — so it’s likely a modified Phase 2, to enable some more business/commerce, but the violations have been relatively few and far between, at least here in the city (far as I’ve seen in the media, anyway).

On 11/5/2020 at 9:39 PM, sgcim said:

This article pretty much explains it:

According to a tally by the Washington Post, 13 states — Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Wisconsin — on Tuesday reported record numbers of patients hospitalized with coronavirus.

With the exception of New Mexico and Wisconsin, all of those states have been won by President Trump.

I think they (or maybe I read it elsewhere) even break it down by county in some of these Trump-won states, with the rise in cases correlating closely with margin of Trump vote.