COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

4 hours ago, Pim said:

Hope all will be fine with your folks Dan! 

Thanks. I can report now that my sister-in-law is on my shit list. And her sister isn't exactly happy either even if she won't use that terminology.

Bob said to Patty that his temperature was 100.7.

She heard "107" and remarkably, did not exclaim "A hundred and seven????!!!!" which would have cut this "crisis" off right at the start when Bob would have said "NO, One hundred POINT seven."  Then my wife wouldn't have spent Friday feeling terrified about her brother's condition.

Unbelievable. He's got a minor cold for all we know. I guess we'll have confirmation when he feels better, hopefully, in a few days.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Okay, so what's this about there being a new strain of the virus in the UK that is significantly more contagious or spreads faster or whatever?

New mutant strain detected by the genome sequencers, approx. 70% more transmissible than the original. Running rampant in London and the SE, new Tier 4 lockdown controls in those areas from tonight. No travel in and out of Tier 4. Xmas festivities cancelled..

Big tightening of controls in Scotland and Wales from tonight too.

Happy to still be in Tier 2, for how much longer - who knows.

Edited by sidewinder

General consensus appears to be that it's too early to tell. It's only been confirmed for about a week at most, if government sources are to be believed.

There's a strong message that there's nothing indicating yet that the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine, that's currently being rolled out, is compromised but it's hard to tell how much of that is wishful thinking rather than research.  I heard one expert interviewed saying that these variations can actually lessen the threat as the deadliness reduces in some instances.

Seems to be accepted that it spreads a lot quicker. Media interview with ICU doctor earlier today said that patients don't seem to be presenting with any discernible difference in symptoms but that they are arriving in far greater numbers, hence our new restrictions introduced today.

Edited by mjazzg

I remember the transfer over to this board being quite sudden, with a ‘roll call muster’ once things had stabilised.

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Bev left the board when he retired, apparently wanting pursue other interests. Last I heard a couple of years ago he was doing fine. 

Someone (mjazzg?) mentioned conversing with Bev S. within the last couple of weeks.

14 hours ago, Dmitry said:

The Magnificent Goldberg...has anyone heard from him lately? he hasn't visited the forum in 10 months. Also A Lark Ascending aka Bev Stapleton. Both are based in the UK.

Bev (A Lark Ascending) is well and in good humour. At least he was last week.

Glad to hear Magnificent G is OK, I miss his contributions.

Whilst we're talking about 'missing' board members, what of Teasing The Korean?  Or did I miss something

20 hours ago, Dave James said:

The spread of COVID-19 is based on two things: 

1.  How dense the population is. 
2.  How dense the population is. 

This isn't true except in a fairly limited sense.  Plenty of rural areas are being really hard hit in the US right now.

Density of real-life social/economic networks probably matters more than physical density.

Edited by Guy Berger

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

and how contagious the variant is. This new one ("lineage" is a term i heard this morning for the first time) is either 70% more contagious or spreads 70% more quickly. Either way, it's a virus. Shit may or may not be expected to happen.

Certainly seems to spreading fast enough to be causing major concern countrywide now, not just in the SE as it was only on saturday.  Currently still no evidence that people are getting any more ill with it.  Some early suggestions that children may be getting it more than adults.

Edited by mjazzg

I reckon it’s already all over Europe - and probably has been for a while.

A bit of an aside. I was down on the South Coast yesterday, watching out on a pier in what is normally a large and empty bay. Three mega cruise ships were anchored out there together in the murk, looking like beached whales. An unprecedented sight for that stretch of the English Channel.

Edited by sidewinder

8 hours ago, sidewinder said:

A bit of an aside. I was down on the South Coast yesterday, watching out on a pier in what is normally a large and empty bay. Three mega cruise ships were anchored out there together in the murk, looking like beached whales. An unprecedented sight for that stretch of the English Channel.

Yes, some strange sights these days. Yesterday on a Manchester motorway (on my way to my Covid jab) a sign saying ROUTES TO FRANCE CLOSED.

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

and how contagious the variant is. This new one ("lineage" is a term i heard this morning for the first time) is either 70% more contagious or spreads 70% more quickly. Either way, it's a virus. Shit may or may not be expected to happen.

One thing we're relatively lucky on with a coronavirus pandemic (vs. an influenza pandemic) is that it tends to mutate more slowly.  Most experts aren't terribly worried about the vaccine's effectiveness against this new lineage, for instance.

19 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Certainly seems to spreading fast enough to be causing major concern countrywide now, not just in the SE as it was only on saturday.  Currently still no evidence that people are getting any more ill with it.  Some early suggestions that children may be getting it more than adults.

The worry about extra contagiousness is that even if the virus isn't inherently more deadly, there could be significant 2nd order impacts on mortality from deterioration of the health care system.

18 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yup.  Travel restrictions can be pretty effective at limiting pandemics, but only when you do them well ahead of time.  The horse left the barn a long time ago.

On 12/19/2020 at 7:52 AM, Dan Gould said:

Thanks. I can report now that my sister-in-law is on my shit list. And her sister isn't exactly happy either even if she won't use that terminology.

Bob said to Patty that his temperature was 100.7.

She heard "107" and remarkably, did not exclaim "A hundred and seven????!!!!" which would have cut this "crisis" off right at the start when Bob would have said "NO, One hundred POINT seven."  Then my wife wouldn't have spent Friday feeling terrified about her brother's condition.

Unbelievable. He's got a minor cold for all we know. I guess we'll have confirmation when he feels better, hopefully, in a few days.

And now I can report that my brother got a positive result from a second Covid test. 

He remains with rather moderate symptoms; Mother-in-Law shows no effects thus far from her close contact last week.