Tacos and Herb Alpert

Three years ago, I could have easily seen Herb Alpert at the New Orleans Jazz Fest, though to my knowledge he was sans Mariachi Brass. Earlier in the day, I heard Lee Konitz. But somehow Herb Alpert was the closer on the main jazz stage. A travesty, for sure. I'm afraid I passed on Herb, even in the absence of a super appealing alternative and went to hear Lisa Fischer in the Blues Tent. I feel no regrets to this day.

34 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Three years ago, I could have easily seen Herb Alpert at the New Orleans Jazz Fest, though to my knowledge he was sans Mariachi Brass. Earlier in the day, I heard Lee Konitz. But somehow Herb Alpert was the closer on the main jazz stage. A travesty, for sure. I'm afraid I passed on Herb, even in the absence of a super appealing alternative and went to hear Lisa Fischer in the Blues Tent. I feel no regrets to this day.

You are confusing Herb Alpert with Chet Baker. 

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Cue up the paint-by-numbers fanboy outrage that more people know Herb Alpert than Lee Konitz. 🤣

Oh, the humanity...

Edited by Teasing the Korean

5 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

When I drank alcohol, I preferred cognac; but I stopped drinking any alcohol many years ago.

Understood. I generally don't drink Monday through Thursday, but I love the weekend ritual of uncorking the bottle of wine and watching the tone arm lower onto the LP. 

And just so there is no misunderstanding, I adore Lee Konitz and that whole Tristano rat pack.

49 minutes ago, DMP said:

Bossa nova? That would have to be Laurindo Almeida & the Bossa Nova All Stars.  Brazilian classics like “Ramblin’ Rose” and “Hava Negila.”

I LOVE those LPs! On Capitol, right?

I also love the Living Guitars bossa LPs on RCA Camden.

I also love Roberto Menescal and Carlos Lyra. 

There is room for lots of music on TTK's turntable!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Understood. I generally don't drink Monday through Thursday, but I love the weekend ritual of uncorking the bottle of wine and watching the tone arm lower onto the LP. 

And just so there is no misunderstanding, I adore Lee Konitz and that whole Tristano rat pack.

Yes, I'm just kidding around myself. I'm not actually sure what I think of Herb Alpert; he's someone who was on TV a lot when I was a kid. To make a career out of playing the trumpet in the United States is actually an impressive achievement, regardless of the music.

Edited by kh1958

9 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Yes, I'm just kidding around myself. I'm not actually sure what I think of Herb Alpert; he's someone who was on TV a lot when I was a kid. To make a career out of playing the trumpet in the United States is actually an impressive achievement, regardless of the music.

My wife interviewed Herb a few years back. He does not like to talk about the Tijuana Brass anymore, but my wife was able to get him to talk about them indirectly by discussing the overall aesthetic of A&M at the time - Claudine, Mendes, Bacharach, Chris Montez, etc. They discussed how the label had an international feel, and that it had cross-generational appeal. 

Whenever you read about musicians who recorded for A&M, right up through the 90s or whenever Herb sold it, they consistently say that they had 100% control of their music, because the label owner was a musician himself and not just a businessman. He seems to command lots of respect in those circles.