Miles Davis - Complete Sessions available again

barnaba.siegel

27 minutes ago, sambrasa said:

I sold my US / European Plugged Nickel box set a few years ago when I found the Japanese box in a Disk union store somewhere in Japan. I know, the Japanese version has 1 disc less and probably does not sound as good, but it has a special meaning to me. I used to drool over it in 1990s when I was poor and could not afford one, plus I like it's design a lot better. 

Actually sambrasa I personally think that the sound on the Japanese set is a bit better than the American. The one disc less is the result of some editing out of a few parts of solos or solos here and there, in that particular night there was just enough trimmed that both sets fit on one cd.

I reach for the Japanese set for nostalgic reasons too. I did everything I could to get a copy when this was first released and though my local store assured me they and I were getting copies, it did not happen and I never was able to secure one.  Years later the second version of this set was reissued in Japan on gold cd and I was able to get one. I really like. the look and feel of the set and the sound. And the music. . . wow. . . the music. I find I don't mind or miss the edited version.

35 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

I hear you Lon, me too.  Streaming for me serves as a way to test things I wanna buy.  Amazon HD Music outside of hi res and more recent CD offerings  is full of upconverted poorly encoded MP3's and that's really a drag but to be expected.

I don't stream at all or use any files. I buy new material on recommendations of forum denizens or just my decades long homegrown instincts, and taking a risk is sort of fun! Streaming. . . for me not fun. And with so so many discs I haven't really a need.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the vinyl set and enjoy listening to it from time to time. Great quintet and great box. 

Wish they had some photos from those gigs included in thé liner notes.

Glad I purchased that LP music when it was available Also have thé Miles/Gil Evans LP Mosaic box. Wish I had gotten some more sets.

On 06/05/2020 at 11:50 PM, sonnyhill said:

I would purchase the Plugged Nickel set again just for the sake of purchasing it again.  

Yes to that. Though mine is the vinyl and I don’t think that will come round again any time soon. 

On 06/05/2020 at 11:50 PM, sonnyhill said:

I do not care for the JJ album much, but I really, really, like the JJ box.

Same here. I never liked the album, I’m not even sure why I bought the box, but I really like it and it sounds wonderful. 

3 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Yes to that. Though mine is the vinyl and I don’t think that will come round again any time soon. 

Same here. I never liked the album, I’m not even sure why I bought the box, but I really like it and it sounds wonderful. 

And same here, although I did listen to the album yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Possibly the box's influence

On 5/6/2020 at 7:50 PM, sambrasa said:

I sold my US / European Plugged Nickel box set a few years ago when I found the Japanese box in a Disk union store somewhere in Japan. I know, the Japanese version has 1 disc less and probably does not sound as good, but it has a special meaning to me. I used to drool over it in 1990s when I was poor and could not afford one, plus I like it's design a lot better. 

wait a minute here, the Japanese set has a different design than the US? What's the difference? I always thought they were the same in everything except the mastering.

On 4.05.2020 at 11:53 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Carpe Diem on that On The Corner sessions box.

Pound for pound, the most ‘interesting’ of all the Miles boxes (if only because the IaSW box is half the size) - imho.

I’ve had one for years, that I got with a 40% off one item coupon from Border’s barely a couple weeks after release date, and then a month or two later it was already at least half gone everywhere.

Carpe diem!!

That's true, although I always feel like the inclusion of whole "Get Up Wit It" was not necessery and I'd like just get more takes from previous sessions.

But the "Jack Johnsonn" sessions are also neat. Yes, lots of repeatable stuff, but many jewels hidden, some great bonding between musicians withouth Miles. And both "The Mask" takes are brilliant, brutal jazz-rock pieces.

Wonder if they're ever going to release those sessions from 1975-76 ("Minnie" from Complete On the Corner is the only 1975-1979 studio track ever released) and those strange from 1978 with Coryell and Masabumi Kikuchi (who was so into Miles, to say at least). But it seems like the Miles Legacy crew pulled the plug out from the vaults for a while.

On 9.5.2020 at 7:23 PM, GregK said:

wait a minute here, the Japanese set has a different design than the US? What's the difference? I always thought they were the same in everything except the mastering.

The Japanese version of this box set is very different design-wise, both inside and outside.

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Complete-Live-At-Plugged-Nickel-1965/release/8071963

• 2 weeks later...

I placed an order for the On the Corner box and Nefertiti on May 5. The order confirmation received that day said part of order is on backorder but would ship on about May 6. Since then, haven't received any order updates, charges, or product. Perhaps I did not carpe the diem with enough speed/agility. Oh well

Okay. After finding it again on the website, current advertised ship date is June 3. We shall see.

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

I placed an order for the On the Corner box and Nefertiti on May 5. The order confirmation received that day said part of order is on backorder but would ship on about May 6. Since then, haven't received any order updates, charges, or product. Perhaps I did not carpe the diem with enough speed/agility. Oh well

Okay. After finding it again on the website, current advertised ship date is June 3. We shall see.

I ordered on 4/30 and got the same confirmation but nothing since and no delivery. I'll have time to follow up with them next week on the status or any updates. 

On 30/05/2020 at 9:12 AM, Clunky said:

Same here. My order has been “in process “ for weeks. No idea what it means

After a month of my order being “ in process “ I sent a polite email and within a few hours got notification of shipping. Perhaps my nudge reminded them of my order?