Shipping delays

My Discogs go-to guy in Russia told me that they are experiencing brutal delays into the USA - here are his words  "United States closed the borders for Incoming items based on high traffic.  It means your order will be shipped as usual but will be delivered with super-delay - now is 105 days is normal days, slow clearance and perhaps something goes slowly on transfer step through Europe over the ocean."    

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, felser said:

My Discogs go-to guy in Russia told me that they are experiencing brutal delays into the USA - here are his words  "United States closed the borders for Incoming items based on high traffic.  It means your order will be shipped as usual but will be delivered with super-delay - now is 105 days is normal days, slow clearance and perhaps something goes slowly on transfer step through Europe over the ocean."    

John, have you ordered anything from NoBusiness lately?

I want the new Sam Rivers release but have held off because I fear brutal delays...even before COVID my NB orders could take a month.

Also holding out on the new Horace Tapscott (DarkTree in France), but I'll probably chance this soon.

5 minutes ago, T.D. said:

John, have you ordered anything from NoBusiness lately?

I want the new Sam Rivers release but have held off because I fear brutal delays...even before COVID my NB orders could take a month.

Also holding out on the new Horace Tapscott (DarkTree in France), but I'll probably chance this soon.

Have never ordered from NoBusiness (I do have some of their titles courtesy of another esteemed board member), but did order the Tapscott right away, and have full confidence Bertrand will do everything humanly possible to get it to me ASAP!

12 minutes ago, felser said:

Have never ordered from NoBusiness (I do have some of their titles courtesy of another esteemed board member), but did order the Tapscott right away, and have full confidence Bertrand will do everything humanly possible to get it to me ASAP!

Bertrand is the guy. Any delays won't be down to him..

1 hour ago, felser said:

Thanks. I'll order the Tapscott ASAP. Come to think of it, I've been receiving UK orders (avant-garde classical label Another Timbre direct and rarewaves through eBay) in reasonable time, and delivery from France ought to be comparable.

Valerij at NoBusiness has always done well by me (I order through poligrafovicius on eBay), but I consider shipping time from Latvia and Russia to be comparable (possibly unfairly), so will hold off on the Rivers for now.

On 7/2/2020 at 0:32 AM, T.D. said:

Valerij at NoBusiness has always done well by me (I order through poligrafovicius on eBay), but I consider shipping time from Latvia and Russia to be comparable (possibly unfairly), so will hold off on the Rivers for now.

Lithuania, not Latvia. It will go faster than from Russia. 

Edited by Д.Д.

Depends on definition of really. For most items, I figure that if expected delivery time is measured in months, the chance of never receiving the item is too high and the hassle of obtaining a refund after 3 months (say) or whatever too great. If OTOH I know up front it'll be shipped by sea, I'm OK with months. ;)

If I want to get all logical about the matter, I already own so damn many recordings that I don't really need any more.

11 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

If you really want something why worry about delivery speed?

This is my take too. Always sounds the same whenever it arrives, I've found. Some waiting only heightens the anticipation or I forget about it completely and end up with a nice surprise.

If I want it immediately I'll stream or Bandcamp. So many more options these days.

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Between Spotify and YouTube I’m covered. I take the view that if anybody really wants me to be able to hear something they will put it on the streaming services. And that means I don’t have to wait at all. 

And Bandcamp as well, can even own it then if that's your itch that needs a scratch. 

Edited by mjazzg

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

This is my take too. Always sounds the same whenever it arrives, I've found. Some waiting only heightens the anticipation or I forget about it completely and end up with a nice surprise.

If I want it immediately I'll stream or Bandcamp. So many more options these days.

And Bandcamp as well, can even own it then if that's your itch that needs a scratch. 

Yes I dabble in Bandcamp now for that range of options. CD purchases for me are usually in store or at gigs. 

By the way, today is Bandcamp waiver day so whatever we buy they don’t charge the artists. 

2 months after I ordered it my Miles “On the corner “ set arrived. Apparently shipped via Belgium with stated country of manufacture being China. Perhaps this geographical mix has contributed to the delivery time. Actually I’m pretty impressed given what’s been going on. Patience is definitely the name of the game. 

10 minutes ago, Clunky said:

2 months after I ordered it my Miles “On the corner “ set arrived. Apparently shipped via Belgium with stated country of manufacture being China. Perhaps this geographical mix has contributed to the delivery time. Actually I’m pretty impressed given what’s been going on. Patience is definitely the name of the game. 

Country of manufacture China?  Just checked my (now ageing) box and there’s mention of that.

Great that your set has arrived. Over the years I have found it a fascinating box to delve into.

Well, as some state here that USPS suck, in my opinion: PostNL sucks too! Till now almost every heavy delay I experiencedwas to blame on PostNL. The packages departured pretty early from country of origin but were kept endlessly in the Netherlands....

Not to speak of the ridiculous rices they dare to ask for shipping these days: 28 euros for a cd to the US! Insane! Using the COVID crisis as an excuse that is really lame. It is generally known that PostNL has more business than ever. And simultaneously not paying their employees with flex contracts. 

3 hours ago, Pim said:

Well, as some state here that USPS suck, in my opinion: PostNL sucks too! Till now almost every heavy delay I experiencedwas to blame on PostNL. The packages departured pretty early from country of origin but were kept endlessly in the Netherlands....

Not to speak of the ridiculous rices they dare to ask for shipping these days: 28 euros for a cd to the US! Insane! Using the COVID crisis as an excuse that is really lame. It is generally known that PostNL has more business than ever. And simultaneously not paying their employees with flex contracts. 

This is disturbing news as I am waiting on something originating in the Netherlands.. Has said processed thru facility in Amsterdam since July 3. Does this mean next stop New York City?  And it was supposed to be expedited delivery?  Who knows now.

Yeah It must be on it’s way to NYC I think. Maybe you’re lucky Dan, mail is full of surprises these days. 

about the expedited: I got screwed over by Japan Post with their EMS service. Takes just as long as normal air mail but cost me 30 euros more. I could hit myself in the head for it. 

I recently had an order for a record i had listed on discogs to Canada. I have $25 flat international rate for shipping mainly to deter international shipping. I almost quoted a different price for the invoice but decided I would just refund the difference after I shipped since I wasn't sure how much it would be since I don't sell much anymore. I used to regularly 10-12 years ago and prices have really changed. Either way to ship from Long Beach, CA to Ontario Canada for one record ended up being $20.75!! Insanity. I'm assuming it arrived in the quoted time frame of 7-10 business days. I haven't heard anything, 

37 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

I have $25 flat international rate for shipping mainly to deter international shipping. 

As someone who often finds myself considering US purchases from Discogs this is interesting as $25 is fairly standard ask US to UK so I'd assumed it as a fairly accurate representation of cost rather than inflated to deter. Mind you with that cost to Canada it's got to be close to actual cost surely?  It works as a deterrent for me definitely, it's got to be a particularly desirable item to consider paying that on postage, especially as there's a good chance of getting hit for customs at 20% of value+postage total.

I always mean to check the actual postage cost on the item when it arrives but never remember. 

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

As someone who often finds myself considering US purchases from Discogs this is interesting as $25 is fairly standard ask US to UK so I'd assumed it as a fairly accurate representation of cost rather than inflated to deter. Mind you with that cost to Canada it's got to be close to actual cost surely?  It works as a deterrent for me definitely, it's got to be a particularly desirable item to consider paying that on postage, especially as there's a good chance of getting hit for customs at 20% of value+postage total.

I always mean to check the actual postage cost on the item when it arrives but never remember. 

Yeah I probably need to raise it. I probably set it 5 years ago. I don’t do much on Discogs, maybe 2-3 sales a year if that. I didn’t even know the custom form changed and couldn’t find it because I was looking for the older smaller version it used to be. 

I received an order from Japan that I made on Thursday this morning via DHL, which I think is the quickest I've ever received anything from there. I was very surprised given the issues discussed here. I did get whacked for duty however, so it wasn't all positive.