Bob Brookmeyer's piano playing

Larry Kart

Anyone have any thoughts about where his style of piano playing came from? Examples are not abundant -- "The Ivory Hunters" album with Bob and Bill Evans, a track or two on "Traditionalism Revisited," a track here or there with the Mulligan Sextet and Quartet, maybe t"The Street Swingers" with Jimmy Raney and Jim Hall, but I've never heard that one.  The most representative example, unless I'm missing something, are the dates from 1954 and '55 on "The Dual Role of Bob Brookmeyer" (Prestige) with  Raney on one side (they're a very compatible pair; lovely Raney there)  and Teddy Charles on the other. ('Ill check to see if any of those tracks are on You Tube.) My best guess is that one or more pianist from a prior era is at the root of Brookmeyer's conception -- my wild ass guess would be Jess Stacy, maybe someone half-forgotten like Herman Chittison or Clarence Profit -- and on top of that maybe a pinch of Monk or Jimmy Rowles. Other than that I have no clue, though I do find that the results have a certain impish charm --especially impish,  even coy, on "Truckin'" from "Traditionalism Revisited," but then that tune just is coy. Likewise, he's rather coy at times on "The Ivory Hunters," but I'd guess that was because he felt a bit intimidated by, or in awe of, Evans' full-blown expertise circa 1957 and decided in response to, so to speak, play around the edges of Bill's work, -- and he plays there quite well I'd say. But his work on "The Dual Role" album is the place to go to scope out Bob's piano playing, I think. He certainly deserves credit for distinctiveness.

Interestingly if I'm not mistaken Brookmeyer started off professionally playing piano, in bands led by Beneke and McKinney; his piano style may have been formed rather solidly before and at this time. Both these leaders were strong influences and influenced by the Glenn Miller band and bandmates. I wonder if Chummy MacGregor was an influence . . . would be interesting to make comparisons.

Some Brookmeyer on piano, plus one track ("Nobody's Heart")  with a vocal, if you can call it that, by Nancy Overton, no doubt Hall Overton's wife.

https://youtu.be/rpt5zAJivBg

https://youtu.be/v-POvOcSwi4

https://youtu.be/v4NfW5oS5To

https://youtu.be/z4nE1jvK7Fo

https://youtu.be/aEr_1pnRktk

https://youtu.be/8CeBtJG20W4

Chummy McGregor -- hmm. The man who wrote "Moon Dreams," which is achievement enough. Have no idea what his playing sounded like, though I do know that in "the Glenn Miller Story" he was played by Harry Morgan.

42 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Anyone have any thoughts about where his style of piano playing came from? Examples are not abundant

Interesting topic. I'm a great Brookmyer fan and will check the recordings re his piano style.

FYI I add my collection (not every record has him on piano however)

2617  CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    The modernity of Bob Brookmeyer          1954  Fresh Sound 499    vtb

1846           Brookmeyer,Bob    The Dual Role of ... 1954  Prestige(OJC)          7066  tb

2645           Brookmeyer,Bob    Bob Brookmeyer Quintet 1954/06          Vogue (jap)  216    vtb

2585  CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    Bobby Brookmeyer (feat. Al Cohn)          1956  RCA (BMG)  7432159132 vtb

709    CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    Brookmeyer Jazz  1956  RCA Victor          7432159152 vtb

30293           Brookmeyer,Bob    Bobby Brookmeyer and his Orchestra   1956  RCA(Jazzline)-VIK 43558          vtb

686             Brookmeyer,Bob    Tonights Music Today     1956  Storyville USA (jap)    6135  vtb

684             Brookmeyer,Bob    WHOOEEEE (feat. Zoot Sims) 1956          Storyville USA (jap)        6004  vtb

846             Brookmeyer,Bob    Traditionalism Revisited (jap. Liberty 8890) 1957  Pacific Jazz 1233  vtb

2405  CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    The Trombones Inc         1958  Lone Hill          0266  tb

845             Brookmeyer,Bob    Street Swingers (feat. Jim Hall)          1958  Pacific Jazz 1239  g

1254           Brookmeyer,Bob    Kansas City Revisited (The KC Seven)          1958  United Artists(FS)          5008  vtb

1257           Brookmeyer,Bob    Double Barrelled Piano (Bill Evans)          1959  United Artists(jap)         3128  p

180             Brookmeyer,Bob    Jazz is a Kick        1960  Trip(EMARCY)          5568  vtb

1402           Brookmeyer,Bob    The Blues hot and cold    1960  Verve          821550-1     vtb

2245           Brookmeyer,Bob    Portrait Of The Artist - Bob Brookmeyer          1960ies        Atlantic       1320  vtb

812             Brookmeyer,Bob    Night Watch(Side 1 Gerry Mulligan 4tet)          1961   United Artists       5085  vtb

2243           Brookmeyer,Bob    Gloomy Sunday & other bright moments          1961   Verve 6-8455        vtb/arr

1626           Brookmeyer,Bob    ...and friends(Getz/Burton/Carter a.o.)          1964-65       CBS/Sony    183    vtb

1961   CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    the power of positive swinging  1965          Mainstream 723    vtb

387             Brookmeyer,Bob    Back again   1978  Sonet 778    vtb

509             Brookmeyer,Bob    The Bob Brookmeyer small band          1979  Gryphon(2)  8085-6        vtb

1625           Brookmeyer,Bob    through a looking glass    1981   Finesse          37488          vtb

510             Brookmeyer,Bob    The Bob Brookmeyer Quartet   1987          Concord Jazz         312    vtb

30331 CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    ...& The Stockholm Jazzorchestra          1988  Dragon         169    vtb

2648  CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    Old Friends 1998  Storyville    8292  vtb

31219 CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    New Works - The New Art Orchestra          1999  Challenge     70066          vtb/ld

31274 CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    Jazz Bigband Graz Plays Bob Brookmeyer          2000  Mons Records        874-341       vtb/ld

31265 CD      Brookmeyer,Bob    Waltzing with Zoe- New Art Orchestra          2001  Challenge     70081 ld/v-tb