George Colligan (w/ Gary Thomas, Drew Gress & Ralph Peterson, Jr.) - Humanity

Justin V

47 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

*Love* Gary Thomas‘ playing say more often than not, so I’m in. Wish it was on CD, though - is there a CD option I’m overlooking (sure doesn’t look like it).

I very seldom buy downloads, but for more Gary Thomas, I might just make an exception.

As Colligan says on his website: "At the moment, the album is ONLY on Bandcamp because this is a way to support us DIRECTLY. Perhaps years ago I would have pressed CDs, but I think under the circumstances, I’m bringing the music out in the most direct way possible."

Bandcamp has lossless options available.  I realized after I bought it that I should have waited until the next day Bandcamp was waiving fees.  At any rate, it is a welcome release.  I need to track down the band's studio album.

19 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

*Love* Gary Thomas‘ playing say more often than not, so I’m in. Wish it was on CD, though - is there a CD option I’m overlooking (sure doesn’t look like it).

I very seldom buy downloads, but for more Gary Thomas, I might just make an exception.

I prefer cd also, but I do not mind downloading from Bandcamp.  It offers cd quality and better files in a variety of "lossless" formats.  I will not purchase a "lossy" download.  Some labels, like Biophilia, only offer downloads because of the negative environmental impact of cds.  There is also some interesting out-of-print material on Bandcamp.  I do not subscribe to a streaming service because I feel that they are unfair to the artists.  It is my understanding that Bandcamp provides the artists with a much better deal.

On the first Fridays of June and July, Bandcamp will be waiving its revenue share and giving the artists/labels 100% of the revenue from purchases due to the crisis being experienced by artists who cannot generate revenue performing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Bandcamp also waived revenue in March and May (I am not sure about April) .  Many labels in turn provided and are providing the artists with 100% of the revenue paid to the label by Bandcamp for material purchased during the revenue waiver days.   

It is likely that the Colligan album was released to take advantage of the Bandcamp waiver of its revenue share.  Some artists have reported making more money on Bandcamp during its last revenue waiver day than they have made over the entire existence of Spotify.

I will probably purchase the Colligan release and a few other things during the next Bandcamp revenue waiver on June 5.