Prestige All-Stars records

Rabshakeh

In the 50s, Prestige put out a series of leaderless albums with groups credited as "The Prestige All-Stars" or similar names.  A lot of them have since been repackaged under different artists' names as one or other of the participants has increased in public prominence (particularly Coltrane).  

A discography of these recordings is here: https://www.jazzdisco.org/the-prestige-all-stars/discography/

I don't know much about the genesis of the series.  Some of these albums are absolutely great, and stand with the best of what Prestige was putting out at the time. Earthy and Tenor Conclave are particular favourites of mine.  The leaderless format feels like it helps to open up the players and allow for more equal interplay.  However, given the format, I have noticed that they often slip through the tracks when people present histories of the period.

I've searched and I don't think that there is a dedicated thread on the topic (although the Coltrane ones are touched on, and there is a thread on the related Swingville All-Stars run).  

I'd love to hear from you with any views you have on the series and any of the records that are your own favourites.

I've liked the ones where Kenny Burrell was designated (at some point) as leader: All Night Long and All Day Long.

Dakar is considered one of these?  Coltrane with the baritones of Cecil Payne and  Pepper Adams--great session.

How about Interplay for 2 Trumpets and 2 Tenors.  Coltrane here too, with Mal Waldron debuting "Soul Eyes" (very nice, if a trifle long).

I have a soft spot for the session released at some point as Kenny Burrell All Day Long as it was one of the first 50 or so jazz records I bought. I picked up Earthy and a couple of the others when the label was sold to Concord and a bunch of titles were available cheaply. I loaded up thanks to reading about it here.

Am I the only one who is not very much impressed by these albums? Don’t get me wrong, the music’s good but these all really sound much like jam sessions. Another couple of one take recordings put on a new record, state some big names on the cover and hope it will sell. I miss inspiration and creativity.

19 minutes ago, Pim said:

Am I the only one who is not very much impressed by these albums? Don’t get me wrong, the music’s good but these all really sound much like jam sessions. Another couple of one take recordings put on a new record, state some big names on the cover and hope it will sell. I miss inspiration and creativity.

They were conceived as jam sessions and you are complaining that they sound that way? No one is saying they are stone-cold classics. They are documents of jam sessions by some of the greatest musicians of the era.  There's nothing wrong with enjoying them for what they are.

10 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

They were conceived as jam sessions and you are complaining that they sound that way? No one is saying they are stone-cold classics. They are documents of jam sessions by some of the greatest musicians of the era.  There's nothing wrong with enjoying them for what they are.

Can’t remember I was ‘complaining’ nor was I stating people here called it ‘stone-cold classics’. I just gave my opinion on the sessions and asked if there were others who also felt that way. And there is never anything wrong with people enjoying music.

Edited by Pim

R-5755608-1457811389-7952.jpeg.jpg

Love Quinichette on this one, even if his saxophone keys needed some fine-tuning.DdX7MQLWsAAUJP3?format=jpg&name=medium

It looks like both Wess and Coltrane have Otto Links and Selmers. Quinichette, on the other hand, appears to have a Buscher and King? (Welcoming corrections.)