Don Randi Curtis Amy Jungle Adventure

Teasing the Korean

I stumbled upon that LP on discogs recently when I looked into the origins of that great Lee Katzman album with Jack Wilson and Teddy Edwards... apparently Toots Camarata started two labels in the mid-60s, Coliseum and Palomar, produced a few sessions and albums but didn't quite live up to his original ambition... there's the Curtis Amy album on Palomar some of which I've heard and didn't particularly like, I'd call it overproduced and would expect more of the same on the Randi Amy LP.... there's on overlap in tracks between this LP and the Amy LP (e.g. Sunrise Sunset) so I'd guess this record is a compilation, especially given that Randi also recorded several times for Coliseum and Palomar (with more overlap in tracks e.g. Baby Elephant Walk) ... the Katzman album is a fairly straight Hard Bop session which I guess is the reason why it stayed in the can...

https://www.discogs.com/label/300238-Coliseum-3

https://www.discogs.com/label/132500-Palomar

1 hour ago, Niko said:

I stumbled upon that LP on discogs recently when I looked into the origins of that great Lee Katzman album with Jack Wilson and Teddy Edwards... apparently Toots Camarata started two labels in the mid-60s, Coliseum and Palomar, produced a few sessions and albums but didn't quite live up to his original ambition... there's the Curtis Amy album on Palomar some of which I've heard and didn't particularly like, I'd call it overproduced and would expect more of the same on the Randi Amy LP.... there's on overlap in tracks between this LP and the Amy LP (e.g. Sunrise Sunset) so I'd guess this record is a compilation, especially given that Randi also recorded several times for Coliseum and Palomar (with more overlap in tracks e.g. Baby Elephant Walk) ... the Katzman album is a fairly straight Hard Bop session which I guess is the reason why it stayed in the can...

https://www.discogs.com/label/300238-Coliseum-3

https://www.discogs.com/label/132500-Palomar

Thanks. So when you talk about the overlap, are Don and Curtis playing together on the same tunes, or are some tunes by one and some by the other?

Who is Toots Camarata? Any relation to the conductor?

The lineup for the Amy album from here certainly looks good and doesn't include Randi:

Curtis Amy soprano and tenor saxophones
Warren Gale, Jr. trumpet
Lester Robertson trombone
Horace Tapscott piano
Eddie Mathias bass
Mel Lee drums
Onzy Matthews arranger

but the clips don't sound like what one might hope (this track seems to be on both LPs and on a 45...)

no clue about the lineups for the Randi tracks - they might well include Amy, why not...

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

The Lord Disco lists two Don Randi sessions for Palomar, but none of the titles on the tape label pictured above is among them.

No Amy session with any of the titles listed, just two others for Palomar. Jordi Pujol probably knows.

I am wondering what those two Amy sessions are... "Sunrise, Sunset" appears on that tape, on the album and on additional singles, leaving relatively little room for additional sessions... There is Bongo Blue / Theme from Hot September which sounds better than Sunrise, Sunset and does come from a different session... Still I am puzzled: The lineup I posted above, is that in Lord? Are they maybe only responsible for part of the album?

The liner notes on the Jungle Adventure album imply that the three groups play separately on different tracks. "By assigning the assorted melodies to each group individually, Camarata has also come up with a programming adventure". Sorry if this is not news (I haven't heard the album myself). 

Hollywood, CA, 1965
  Goldfinger Palomar G24003
  Get me to the church on time        -
  Dear heart        -
  A spoonful of sugar        -
  Love line        -
  Fiddler on the roof        -
  Now I have everything        -
  Of human bondage        -
  Sunrise, sunset        -
  Guess who I saw today        -
Note: Palomar G24003(mono) = GS34003(stereo).

Just one Amy session for Palomar listed in Lord - my mistake - sorry!

But how about this:

Jungle Adventure In Music And Sound : Curtis Amy (ts) Ron Randi (p) unknown (b), (d), The Exotic Strings (strings)
  prob. Los Angeles, 1966
  Tropical safari Coliseum D41002
  Ceremonial rain dance         -
  Sleepy lagoon         -
  Similau         -
  Passion flower         -
  Baby elephant walk         -
  Tarzan         -
  Sunrise, sunset         -
  Sacred idol         -
  In the still of the night         -
Note: Coliseum D41002(mono) = DS51002(stereo).
Some, or all, titles also on London (E)HAU/SHU8310.

The misspelling "Ron Randi" is typical for some entries in Lord.

To make things complete, the Randi sessions:

Hollywood, CA, early 1960's
  Mexican pearls Palomar G24002/GS34002
  I don't want to be kissed        -
  Follow me        -
  Spanish Harlem        -
Note: See mid 1960's for rest of LP.

Hollywood, CA, mid 1960's
  A lot of livin' to do Palomar G24002/GS34002
  Grampa's still        -
  My funny Valentine        -
  The Randi sermon        -
  John Brown's body        -
  Theme from "Mondo Cane"        -
  Bass blues        -
  Thistle down        -
Note: Palomar G24002(mono) = GS34002(stereo).

Edited by mikeweil