Show yer collection! Be not afraid

BERIGAN

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So for my birthday my wife bought me this narrow cd shelf that sits beside the book shelf. I've also saved space by putting cds I just need for work (soundtracks) behind the box sets. I've also taken cds out of those large holders they used to use for double sets and placed then in the newer narrower ones.

They look like the Time/Life Giants of Jazz lp box sets.

Right you are. I had all of them though the EKE and lady Day sets were on cassette. I didn't order those 2 originally because I had all the cuts elsewhere. I eventually saw them remaindered somewhere and got them just for the booklets. Then someone from Australia on the RMB newsgroup pleaded for 3 of the box sets and I sent them to him. (He sent me some Aussie jazz cds and the Dylan" Masterpieces" box in return.) I can't remember exactly which Time-Lifes I sent. One was Frank Teschemaker (Sp?) in which I had no interest. But just yesterday I went to look something up in The Coleman Hawkins box and realized I know longer had it.

BTW What I was looking for was pre-1929 Hawkins material. Maybe something with Mamie Smith (I'm reading the Chilton bio of Hawkins.) Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

I'm photographically/technically challenged as well, so I'll use a combination of visual aids taken off the net and my amazing capacity for descriptive writing. :rolleyes:

I have part of my collection stored with my humble stereo system, in a custom-designed cabinet (manufactured by Modernica of L.A., based on the designs of Charles Eames). In terms of basic structure and size, it looks like this:

image_1062.jpg

Instead of white sliding doors to hide the stereo equipment, mine has maple "dimple doors" (see below); and instead of open space on the bottom shelves, mine has four drawers- two in each cavity on the bottom left and right (see photo of larger unit below). I can get about 480 CD's into the 4 drawers.

keck4.jpg

Most of my individual CD's are stored in two white melamine shelves that I bought at a garage sale for a couple o' bucks each (made up for all the dough I coughed up for that Modernica piece). The shelves are adjustable for maximum capacity, and they're deep enough that I can display some CD's facing forward in the front (I get tired of always looking at spines). I rotate my favorite covers, so it makes for a nice system of displaying art.

I pieced together four photos very sloppily, and did some odd looking patchwork, but you get the idea. The Monk print was a gift from my wife for my birthday! The iPod was a gift from myself!

I'm curious: Has owning an i-pod changed your collecting habits?

I don't think it will. I just got it this weekend. I've been loading it up since. I don't think of it as an alternative to CDs. I think of it as an alternative to a discman and Caselogic books in my suitcase!

The kid at the store that sold (unlocked the display case) the iPod said something like "I never buy CDs and Satellite Radio is a waste of money. I just download everything and put it on the iPod." If that kid knew just one person who made their living playing music, I don't think he'd be stealing it.

Its a portable storage device with a great front-end.

The kid at the store that sold (unlocked the display case) the iPod said something like "I never buy CDs and Satellite Radio is a waste of money.

"I never buy CDs"

That seems to be the feeling of the current generation (15 - 25).

I've hear that statement alot.

The kid at the store that sold (unlocked the display case) the iPod said something like "I never buy CDs and Satellite Radio is a waste of money.

"I never buy CDs"

That seems to be the feeling of the current generation (15 - 25).

I've hear that statement alot.

Hey, I just got 25 and have bought some four or five thousand CDs so far, 95% jazz...

ubu :)