RIP Lucky Peterson

Hardbopjazz

It is with great sorrow we announce the passing of Lucky Peterson on Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 2:25 PM CST in Dallas, Texas. He was at home when he became ill and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, but unfortunately did not recover. At this time please respect the family’s privacy, but do keep them in your prayers.

That is really sad. He is one of the blues musicians who could play jazz convincingly. He had the technique and understanding of jazz to be able to play it well. I once put together a 2 CD playlist of only his recorded selections with an amazing guitar solo on it. When I saw him live, his organ features were great, and then he would switch to guitar and it would be even greater. He was at the top of the blues community artistically. 

Unfortunately, I either didn't find out about them in time or was unable to attend his last several appearances in Dallas, which were not too frequent over the last few years.

One night I won't forget, I was attending a concert in a club by the [late] Michael Burks, and Lucky Peterson showed up, immediately taking over the organ spot; he played incredible guitar as well that evening, even taking over on the bass guitar at one point; the rapport between him and Michael Burks was so strong; that was surely one of the greatest nights of live music I've ever heard.

There are also three jazz CDs for his Organ Soul Sessions: The Music is the Magic, Mercy, and Brother Where Are You? These were released in France, where he seemed to have the most popularity.

These have Cindy Blackman on drums and Rodney Jones (mostly) or  Cornell Dupree on guitar backing Lucky Peterson, who exclusively plays organ. Houston Person is on a few tracks.