Shirley Scott – One For Me reissue

Harbour

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to Gilles Peterson she didn't like the cover picture though, so probably didn't have a hand in that. Hence a new one for the reissue.

1 hour ago, Bluesnik said:

Yes, l think it's Steppin out. And I also have it as a TOCJ.

Haven't played it myself in a long while. Probably couldn't find it right now, what with the flat move of a couple of years ago. But that I haven't played it doesn't mean it's no good. More that I don't know where it is :blink:. And I remember it being an interesting souljazz thing.

That one also looks interesting. With lots of West Coast players.

Gilles Peterson is also behind this reissue? The reissue projects he gets behind usually are quite interesting.

Yes. Arc is his new reissue label. This its second release.

On 5/18/2020 at 2:01 PM, Dan Gould said:

Someone sent a CDR of this one many year ago, excellent that it will be available much more widely.

(And I am really unclear on the "One For Me" title as it seemed to me very one-of-a-piece with her other recordings. Maybe she meant, if this sells, I'm getting the money, so One for Me?)

Yeah, Strata-East handled distribution but the artists had to put up finished recordings & production costs, and controlled everything down to the look of the record jacket. So it really would have been her album.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:50 PM, mjazzg said:

According to Gilles Peterson she didn't like the cover picture though, so probably didn't have a hand in that. Hence a new one for the reissue.

Fair enough, but I don't like the look of this one, looks like an ersatz Blue Note photocoverthing.

I ordered it anyway. Helluva DAMN good record.

42 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Fair enough, but I don't like the look of this one, looks like an ersatz Blue Note photocoverthing.

I ordered it anyway. Helluva DAMN good record.

I always have liked the original cover.

On 22.5.2020 at 2:20 AM, JSngry said:

This is great! Shirley Scott climbed up several steps on my admiration ladder with this.She swings so much! And I like Vick here much better than on his Blue Note LP, which kinda disappointed me.

Edited by mikeweil

• 1 month later...

Received this earlier in the week, and gave it a listen today.  Sound is not great, either a needle drop or deteriorating tape.  But perfectly listenable under the circumstances.  On the other hand, really excellent liner notes.  Interestingly, a shout out from Maxine Gordon (who produced the reissue) to Charles Tolliver for "his help making the reissue a reality".  No sure what that indicates, since I thought the artists (in this case the Scott estate) owned the tapes and rights.  Could that bode well for other Strata East reissues?