Harbour

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, felser said:

Received this earlier in the week, and gave it a listen today.  Sound is not great, either a needle drop or deteriorating tape.  But perfectly listenable under the circumstances.  On the other hand, really excellent liner notes.  Interestingly, a shout out from Maxine Gordon (who produced the reissue) to Charles Tolliver for "his help making the reissue a reality".  No sure what that indicates, since I thought the artists (in this case the Scott estate) owned the tapes and rights.  Could that bode well for other Strata East reissues?  

Sounds like a pass. 

53 minutes ago, felser said:

It's a GREAT album.  I'm really glad to have it.  

Yes, but if the sound is poor, I will pass on it or look for the lp.

Note: just looked at Discogs and the original lp is $75 and up so I guess that may be a pass. 

Edited by Brad

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Strangely, I heard distortion in the sax on one CD player, but on another (higher priced) all was okay, and the sound was very good. The music is evern better, some of the best Scott I ever heard.

That sax distortion is what I hear.  I will try a different player but do not have any high end equipment.

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Justin V said:

What is the CD packaging like?  

It's a mini-lp gate-fold album with liner-notes on the inside of the sleeve that continue on the inside wallet that contains the actual cd. As far as non-Japanese 'mini-lp's' go, it's quite nice. I like the new cover as well. Great picture by Francis Wolff.

Edited by Mark13

35 minutes ago, Mark13 said:

It's a mini-lp gate-fold album with liner-notes on the inside of the sleeve that continue on the inside wallet that contains the actual cd. As far as non-Japanese 'mini-lp's' go, it's quite nice. I like the new cover as well. Great picture by Francis Wolff.

Thanks!  I was looking for an excuse to be cheap and go with the lossless download, but I sprung for the CD.