Happy Birthday ROOSTER!!

A day late and a dollar short. Story of my life.

Even though the cake is almost gone and the party hats are strewn all over, let me add my good wishes on your birthday, ROOSTER TIES.

:party::party::party::party:

Me too, me too, me too!

Should've jumped on the early bandwagon -- I was offline yesterday -- but, I was partying on your birthday, Tom!

Many happy returns to Organissimo Forum's own Golden Rooster! :party::party::party:

coq_poster.jpg

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everybody. Out of town this weekend in upstate Illinois for the memorial service for my Uncle, who passed away recently.

I have him to thank for my earliest interest in jazz (he had an amazing collection of a couple thousand jazz LP's in his basement, which I enjoyed especially starting in my college years, when I first became interested in jazz in the early 90's). And also, more recently, for his collection of Downbeat mags from April of 1965 through 1985 (complete!) - which I'm bringing back to Washington with me just this week, along with about 25 albums of special interest to me (I'll have to detail then in another thread when I get back home, with pics).

Typing this from a wonky computer in the lobby of our hotel, so I'll otherwise be off-line until I get back home late Monday night.

Thank god Southwest Airlines allows two free suitcases per passenger (I'm here with my wife), because the 20 years of Downbeats alone fill 3 carry-on sized bags, and come to between 120 to 130 lbs total. (And thank goodness most of those bags have wheels, because we're flying into Baltimore, and taking the bus to the Metro to get home in DC.)

Catch you all in a couple days. Cheers!!

Thanks everybody. Out of town this weekend in upstate Illinois for the memorial service for my Uncle, who passed away recently.

Thank god Southwest Airlines allows two free suitcases per passenger (I'm here with my wife), because the 20 years of Downbeats alone fill 3 carry-on sized bags, and come to between 120 to 130 lbs total. (And thank goodness most of those bags have wheels, because we're flying into Baltimore, and taking the bus to the Metro to get home in DC.)

Catch you all in a couple days. Cheers!!

Sorry to hear about your Uncle. Hopefully you were still able to enjoy your birthday - otherwise, you'll just have to enjoy the remaing 364 days this year.

I've gotten to be pretty much on the airport to Metro shuffle. (I do Dulles and the Metro 5A, but same thing, conceptually.) The Metro is still one of the good things about the DC area. It works.

For my birthday Sunday, I had a lovely day with my Dad and his side of the family (the morning after my uncle's memorial service the day before) -- and then had both lunch and dinner in two of my all-time favorite haunts -- the Coney Island hot dog place in the small town where I went to college (in upstate Illinois), and then a burger and homemade chili at the bar across the street from the community theater that was the center of my social life all through high school (down near St. Louis) -- and a lovely drive from the top of the state down to St. Louis (taking the back roads), with my Dad (who's in his mid 80's) and my wife.

(And the burger and chili was made by the very same person -- the owner of the bar -- who was there when I was doing theater there 25 years ago.)

All in all, a really nice visit, and a great opportunity to remember an amazing man (my Uncle). I'll have to start another thread about him sometime, and share his artwork with you.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 years later...