What are your plans shopping at record stores when they reopen?

jcam_44

What are your thoughts record shopping Post-Covid reopening assuming no vaccine?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been itching to visit Bull Moose a chain here in Northern New England for the past week. There is a store about 25 minutes away which has an amazing jazz section. Mostly used stuff but some new releases. A lot of vinyl also. I'll probably have to check with the wife first before venturing out. She's a nurse at an assisted living facility which has been Covid free. It might not be worth it still at this point. 

One CA record store chain, Rasputin Music, sent out an email outlining their new buying policies a couple weeks ago.  They will now require customers to drop off the boxes of records, CDs, DVDs, etc. which they are interested in selling.  They give you a receipt for your boxes, then place a 72 hour hold on them before even looking at them.  They will then text/phone you with their offer and they can mail you a check or arrange a Paypal payment or you can go back to the store again to pick up cash.

Are other stores out there following such procedures?

35 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

One CA record store chain, Rasputin Music, sent out an email outlining their new buying policies a couple weeks ago.  They will now require customers to drop off the boxes of records, CDs, DVDs, etc. which they are interested in selling.  They give you a receipt for your boxes, then place a 72 hour hold on them before even looking at them.  They will then text/phone you with their offer and they can mail you a check or arrange a Paypal payment or you can go back to the store again to pick up cash.

Are other stores out there following such procedures?

Princeton Record Exchange, the largest record store in this area, only specifies that buying collections is by appointment only. I looked at their FB page and since they are allowing only 25 people in the store at a time, this weekend there was a 45 minute wait to get in. 

Edited by Brad

• 4 months later...

Today was the first time I visited a record store since the pandemic situation began.  I actually went to two shops.  The first, Streetlight Records, had the usual mask requirement and other safety protocols in place.  I got there some time after 5 PM and there were maybe 8-10 customers in the place and I was the only one interested in the jazz section, so plenty of room and time to browse.  The second store, Rasputin Music, had an employee serving as bouncer at the front door and  one had to answer his questions three if a customer ye wished to be, plus he took a digital temperature check of each customer, plus he made each customer entering the store utilize their provided hand sanitizer.  I only got there less than an hour before closing (I did not realize they close at 7:30 PM now), so I did not pay much attention to the other customers in the store.  There were about 6 of us checking out around closing time.

It's not really a big issue here. Masks are still required in businesses until November 22 here and music stores have vanished except for a large used book/music chain that occasionally has new releases.

I am hesitant to travel to Atlanta, Knoxville and Nashville at this point, since I don't know the risks for those cities.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2020 at 7:57 AM, Stereojack said:

Stereo Jack's reopened on June 8, with limited hours. We are requiring face masks, limiting customers to no more than 4 at a time, and we have erected plexiglass windows and other see through barriers to isolate any possible contamination. At first we were concerned about whether or not we would see any customers, but I am happy to report that the response has been very positive. After a few days, we decided to resume our normal hours. Business has been good, and I would like to think that we will be able to crawl out of the hole of debt that we have dug for ourselves after being closed for 11 weeks.

I'm really hoping to pay you a visit this weekend. Are you open still?

On 6/21/2020 at 10:52 AM, Tom 1960 said:

I've been itching to visit Bull Moose a chain here in Northern New England for the past week. There is a store about 25 minutes away which has an amazing jazz section. Mostly used stuff but some new releases. A lot of vinyl also. I'll probably have to check with the wife first before venturing out. She's a nurse at an assisted living facility which has been Covid free. It might not be worth it still at this point. 

I was at the Bull Moose store in Scarboro this summer, on our way to visit friends who have a house on the Long Lake near Harrison. This local chain never disappoints. The jazz cd selection is strong. 

In local news: one comic book/record store is open as before, another one was closed when I went, and another one on the same block, Armageddon Records was only open by appointment, which I obviously didn't have, so I peaked inside, there were two customers, and the man at the cash register wouldn't let me come in and check out their 2 feet-long jazz isle....another Covid freak.

Edited by Dmitry

I still haven't mustered up the courage to head down to Stereo Jack's yet. I've popped into the Bull Moose Music in Portsmouth a couple of times but it was pretty much empty, so I wasn't too uncomfortable. That grunge you get on your fingertips after browsing the racks for a while takes on a whole new meaning now though. I've always felt "dirty" after browsing the used racks but after doing it in this world, I feel infectious. Thank god for the copious hand sanitizer jugs by the entrance/exit. :)

19 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I'm really hoping to pay you a visit this weekend. Are you open still?

Stereo Jack: Now after having been open since June, I am happy too report that business is good, and we are getting plenty of vinyl and CD's. Of course, anybody who feels at all squeamish should follow their instincts and stay away, but we feel that we have taken the necessary precautions to make people feel safe whenever they enter the shop. 

On 12/15/2020 at 3:10 PM, Dmitry said:

I was at the Bull Moose store in Scarboro this summer, on our way to visit friends who have a house on the Long Lake near Harrison. This local chain never disappoints. The jazz cd selection is strong. 

The Scarborough store is the store I spoke of in an earlier post. The jazz section is tremendous. Unfortunately for me I haven't stepped inside yet.  At this point it looks like sometime in the new year. Covid cases in the state have skyrocketed in the past couple months.