John Coltrane's Creation

Rabshakeh

Here's what I think a complete Live At The Half Note, 1965 would look like (corrections welcome):

March 19, 1965
"Chim Chim Cheree" (20:16)
"Impressions" (21:58)

March 26, 1965
"One Down, One Up" (27:40)
"Afro Blue" (12:44)

April 2, 1965
"Creation" (23:11)
"I Want To Talk About You" (15:26)
"Afro Blue" (5:40)

May 5, 1965
"Song of Praise" (19:39)
"My Favorite Things" (22:47)

LTc5ODEuanBlZw.jpeg

On 3/15/2022 at 1:12 AM, Late said:

Why on earth it hasn't seen any sort of official issue is beyond me. I think it may be Coltrane's greatest solo.

Can anyone come up with any realistic, plausible ideas how this hasn't been issued officially??

I'm about the least knowledgeable person here about the Coltrane catalog -- beyond having a fairly “half-way ok” awareness of most of his Impulse, Atlantic, and Prestige output (but I only own about 20% of it, at most -- and I've only barely scratched the surface of the Impulse stuff, beyond streaming stuff here and there).

But I'm listening to the YouTube clip above, and this is mighty interesting (if not quite my thing), and the sound-quality isn't terrible at all (even if the piano is under-recorded).

Rights issues?  Who would own the tapes?  Who would have right to reissue it?  Surely this would fall squarely under Trane's contract time-period for Impulse, so as I understand it, it's theirs in terms of who CAN release it -- or they certainly have right-of-first-refusal, though I'm pretty sure that's NOT quite how it works, I realize.  But nobody ain't doin' shit with this (legit), unless whoever owns Impulse says OK, am I right?

Would the family be blocking it?  It just doesn't make any sense how this is still in the can.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 3/15/2022 at 7:34 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

It just doesn't make any sense how this is still in the can.

Agreed. The sound isn't good on the digital file I have, and yet the music is so overwhelmingly amazing that I sometimes think the sound is great.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:37 PM, Late said:

Agreed. The sound isn't good on the digital file I have, and yet the music is so overwhelmingly amazing that I sometimes think the sound is great.

The only thing I can figure is that Impulse didn't want to go to a third CD, but that's a mistake.

• 1 year later...

Upping this thread to note that there is a recent unofficial 2xCD out of Japan that features performances from March 19 and April 2 called Creation: The Lost Half Note Tapes (note that the Impulse! CD is from March 26 and May 7). It can be purchased from Music Lover Japan for $55 (not cheap) or heard for free on YouTube. It's extraordinary stuff in bracing, upfront sound quality.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a copy of the Blue Parrot LP purely for the track Creation. The LP (late ‘70s with a Spirograph cover) is an improvement on YouTube, though it doesn’t have the Alan Grant introduction. I am intrigued by two things (mentioned in this thread): why Coltrane doesn’t appear to have played this (untitled original) again and why it hasn’t been reissued. The sound quality is as good as the other Half Note ‘65 recordings and It is mind blowing. 

As an aside I love that the Blue Parrot label was based in a ‘60s housing estate in the Edinburgh suburbs!

Ditto. I'm still surprised. In this day and age, when any old 'Zev Feldman Presents: John Coltrane live at the Shower Cubicle, 1963' is getting broadsheet press and rave reviews, why on earth is this still unreleased.

Edited by Rabshakeh

On 2/8/2024 at 4:24 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Ditto. I'm still surprised. In this day and age, when any old 'Zev Feldman Presents: John Coltrane live at the Shower Cubicle, 1963' is getting broadsheet press and rave reviews, why on earth is this still unreleased.

Where can I find this shower cubicle date? I missed it somehow.

Edited by bertrand

On 11/26/2020 at 2:13 AM, jcam_44 said:

I got the Blue Parrot LP cheap sealed on vinyl.com (I wasn’t sure how legit such a generic named site would be but it delivered, and it was the most well packaged LP I’ve ever received). Try them. It was $10-$12 if I recall correctly. 

Blue Parrot has issued another Coltrane LP titled " Brazilia" beside the "Crescent" LP. Have both for a very long time

42326634bg.jp42326634bg.jpg

42326635lw.jpg

44115816av.jpg

44115818zp.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typos